Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Media (or?) blasting places in Bay Area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Thanks!

beerchug.gif
Mueller
depending on what you have to blast, and what media you want to use....my cabinet is up at Marks in Napa with glass beads in it....
Britain Smith
Talk to Warren at Accurate PowderCoatings. He is up by WEVO in Redwood city area. They do a great job from transmission cases to Randals trailer...they have a full car-sized booth. BTW, he does aluminum oxide blasting on transmission cases.

-Britain
lapuwali
If you go with Warren, be prepared for the job to take a good long while, and don't expect to ever be able to get ahold of him. He's a nice guy, and he does good work, but it took him several months to get a set of wheels blasted and powdercoated for me, and the only way to get him was visit the shop and hope we was in. None of his employees can help you, he never answers the phone, and he never returns messages.

horizontally-opposed
Nice! Talk about a resource...

pete
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 3 2006, 04:09 PM) *

If you go with Warren, be prepared for the job to take a good long while, and don't expect to ever be able to get ahold of him. He's a nice guy, and he does good work, but it took him several months to get a set of wheels blasted and powdercoated for me, and the only way to get him was visit the shop and hope we was in. None of his employees can help you, he never answers the phone, and he never returns messages.

Wow, what a trip -- I just had the nicest conversation with the dude -- picked up on the second ring and it was him...

Warning duly noted, however.

pete
Britain Smith
Weird, he answers the phone everytime that I call. He got my stuff done quickly...some of it while I waited.

-Britain
Randal
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ May 3 2006, 04:12 PM) *

Weird, he answers the phone everytime that I call. He got my stuff done quickly...some of it while I waited.

-Britain

agree.gif

Warren always got my parts done when he said, although I did give up getting him on the phone and just showed up when he said.

Work was always good.
lapuwali
I had no quibble with the work he did, or the price he charged for it. Wonderful guy.

But...

I visited his shop about 8 times and caught him in only 4 times. The first time, I dropped off the wheels, with a promise they'd be ready in 2 weeks. I start calling after 3 weeks, and begin to visit the shop after 4 weeks. 6 weeks, and I finally catch him in the office, and he says he lost the slip he'd written the color, my name, and my phone number on. The wheels were blasted, but uncoated. We straighten that out, and he says next week. 2 weeks later, I'm visiting the shop again, but don't catch him in for 6 weeks. Wheels still not done. He promises end of that week. I finally pick up the wheels several weeks later.

Maybe my experience was unusual, but it was very frustrating. If he just hired someone to answer the phone, take messages, and ensure he got and returned them, he'd do a lot better. He did grumble once that people tended to leave stuff in his shop for a long time, which I thought fairly ironic. One of the people he specifically complained about leaving stuff at his place was Brad...

elwood-914
Maybe Warren has caller ID....... poke.gif
mightyohm
James,

I think this is a common problem with very small businesses (one man shop). The quality and attention to detail is very good, but their management and business skills are not the greatest, and turnaround times can be incredibly long. I think you have to go into the shop with the knowledge of how they operate and are willing to deal with some of the consequences. A lot of times continual in person visits are what is needed to get the work done (unfortunate, but true).

I had a good experience with Warren, yes, the order did take 2 weeks longer than expected, but you know what? I figured it would when I took the parts in, and I adjusted my timeline accordingly...

McMark
Dropping stuff off at the acid dipper in Windsor would be closer for you. I'm an acid fan for stuff I can't fit in the cabinet.

Nor-Cal Metal Stripping
10010 Old Redwood Hwy
Windsor, CA 95492
Phone:(707) 838-9470
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.