Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: saw a 1970 shelby mustang today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Went to this local vinyl cutting place to see if they could make me some numbers. Guys mentions he has a mustang out in the back of the shop.

I have never seen one of these before and probably never will. all original never restored 70 shelby mustang. Guy also has a 912 that he is working on but I didn't see that one.

For the heck of it I looked to see what a car like that sells for. 150-190k it seems blink.gif

Really was nice seeing an old race car like that just how the shelby guys made it.

Looked just like the one here. Same color and everything
http://www.orlandoclassiccars.com/showroom...ls.php?v_id=253
brant
cool...

although I don't know that that body style was actually raced much (lessen you count in a straight line)

The earlier body style was much more honest
the late body was much more badge engineering IMHO

brant
JoeSharp
agree.gif Brant is on the right track. After 66 or 67 Shelby let Ford build the 350's and he only built one 500. It was a 67 427 side oiler. I think it was built for Goodyear to test tires and then it was sold to some piolts that raced it.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
GWN7
A buddy has one in his garage....70 GT500..... White with blue accents, red interior. I like how the roll bar has the harness built into it.

From Wikipedia: "Carroll Shelby terminated his agreement with Ford in the summer of 1969. The GT350 and GT500 for the 1969-70 model years received extenisve facelifts. Ford was heavily involved with design and style decisions, with Shelby having very little input. Production of Shelby Mustangs ceased with the 1970 model year. The 1970 models were in fact leftover 1969 models."

428 cid V8 , a massive 7-litre unit producing a staggering 400 hp
9146R
Love the look of the Shelby Mustangs too. Wish now I had never sold my 1965 GT 350 (original) white with blue stripes, side exhausts, detroit locker, etc...for $12,000 circa 1988. Just killed me to see a very clean one go for $311,000 at the Barret Jackson auction this year. Hey if my 1970 914-6 appreciates at a fraction of that...cool.
Greg
BMartin914
The 65-66 GT 350 is the money Shelby. cool.gif Danny (shelby/914)?

IPB Image
markb
About the only car I'd give my 914 up for would be a 66 Hertz GT350. I absolutely love those cars. wub.gif
messix
i thought shelby was done with ford in '68. and he didn't do any more cars for ford after '68. but ford still "owned" the shelby mustang brand, there for still marketed the car as such. the boss 302 and 429 cars were the new deal under fords better idea.
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 3 2006, 03:50 PM) *

I have never seen one of these before and probably never will. all original never restored 70 shelby mustang. Guy also has a 912 that he is working on but I didn't see that one.

Come out to CA, during the summer you'll see a few different ones every couple weeks MDB2.gif
Toast
Shelby................. drooley.gif
pastordavid
Hate to admit it, but I saw them when they were new - and I was driving a Camaro...
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 3 2006, 03:02 PM) *

agree.gif Brant is on the right track. After 66 or 67 Shelby let Ford build the 350's and he only built one 500. It was a 67 427 side oiler. I think it was built for Goodyear to test tires and then it was sold to some piolts that raced it.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

I think he built 3, they were the 'Super Snake' cars. They were for goodyear tire testing. Basically he took the 427 from the GT40 and dropped it in there, yowza...I'm not a mustang guy, but even I'd go ga-ga over that.
Joe Ricard
I see I am not the only one who watches dream car garage
brant
QUOTE(markb @ May 3 2006, 08:48 PM) *

About the only car I'd give my 914 up for would be a 66 Hertz GT350. I absolutely love those cars. wub.gif

something like this:
Hawktel
My mustang buddy's dad has a 67 GT350. Somewhat famous locally, its called Dirtbag. Has Carrol Shelby's signature on the dash. Its Blue, with white strips. Its not a very original car. It was raced pretty hard through the 70's into the 80's. He got it as a near wreck, an spent 15 years fixing it up.

Its a nice car. Very nice.
nomore9one4
My former employer collected old mustangs and had 5 shelbys.I had to look at those cars all day drooley.gif but with no keys sad.gif . He had a 65'(if I remember correctly) that had a Paxton super charger in it. It was a proto-type for the following year. According to Carol Shelby it was one of 3 made and only the second one they knew that still existed. Unfortunatly he passed away and his kid sold it to someone in Texas. Man this brings back some fun and some sad memories! Thanks for the post. beerchug.gif bob
STL914
QUOTE(brant @ May 4 2006, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ May 3 2006, 08:48 PM) *

something like this:

It was common knowledge that back in the day, you could rent a Hertz GT350 for a day and take it to the local drag strip. After many of the rentals came back with ruined trannies, Hertz tightened up the rules to avoid any future problems. The balck with gold stripes of the Hertz has always been my favorite.
jasons
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 3 2006, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 3 2006, 03:50 PM) *

Come out to CA, during the summer you'll see a few different ones every couple weeks MDB2.gif

I was thinking the same thing.... Well about AZ, anyway. Sat night I know where you can find at least 3.

My latest on the street sighting has been an Enzo. Seen it twice now.
rcrgrl
ok - you can't talk shelby w/out talking cobra - and you can't talk shelby cobra w/out talking bill thomas cheetah .
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 4 2006, 06:06 AM) *

I see I am not the only one who watches dream car garage

Shhh you're giving away my secret knowledge base, haha. But speaking of the show, I can't believe all the cars in the showroom at LMC, insane collection!
Dave-O
My mom's shop had one of these in for the addition of a few graphics (the correct ones of course). I didn't have my camera or I would have snapped some pictures. VERY cool car, no window mechanisms, no bumpers or trim. Had a funky rear plastic window that had veting and a little aero help. When they started it up it sounded very angry and smelt of sweet race fuel (do you guys get chills up your spine when you smell race exhaust too?)

It's a bit of a shame the only time it is outside is between the enclosed trailer and a garage...
byndbad914

It was common knowledge that back in the day, you could rent a Hertz GT350 for a day and take it to the local drag strip. After many of the rentals came back with ruined trannies, Hertz tightened up the rules to avoid any future problems. The balck with gold stripes of the Hertz has always been my favorite.

It goes a bit further than that - many of the cars are hard to find with the correct engine block because it was determined that mechanics and racers were buying 289 Mustangs, renting the 350H for the weekend, and doing complete engine and trans swaps! The car would come back and the guy at the counter wasn't checking to see if it still had a 4-barrel carb, let alone the right engine. So apparently a few Mustangs were upgraded at the cost of a weekend rental and the next guy in line rented a hyd cam 289 2-bbl blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.