Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk ignorance!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
pain30.gif

This is to show my ignorance!

For many years, Ive wondered what the grommet in the carpet of my rear trunk (left of center-middle) is for. Beneath the grommet is a plastic plug.

Whafur?
JeffBowlsby
The grommet in the carpet is for the tire holddown bolt when the spare tire is placed in the trunk. Although I don't recall ever looking at the hole in the trunk (under the plastic plug) to see if it is threaded.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 3 2006, 05:12 PM) *

The grommet in the carpet is for the tire holddown bolt when the spare tire is placed in the trunk. Although I don't recall ever looking at the hole in the trunk (under the plastic plug) to see if it is threaded.

agree.gif spare tire tie-down ...

smile.gif Andy
sixerdon
The intent was to keep the tire in the rear trunk if the AC condenser was installed in the front. I saw it once years ago when I was down south. It provided more room in the front trunk. In fact, I don't even know how the spare tire could be bolted down in front with the condenser. Never saw a combo condenser and spare up front.......at least here in the Northeast. Can anyone add to that?

Don
Pat Garvey
wacko.gif

Well, this is the first time anyone's been able to answer that question for me! It works, too. The hole is threaded correctly for the hold down. Cool!
sixerdon
Even my early "six" (01/70) has the threaded hole, but not the hole in the pad (carpet). So what year did the factory start with the hole in the pad (carpet)??

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 4 2006, 07:36 AM) *

Even my early "six" (01/70) has the threaded hole, but not the hole in the pad (carpet). So what year did the factory start with the hole in the pad (carpet)??

Don

Well, mine's a late mid-year '72, & it has it. Good question!
sixerdon
..........and I have several friends with '71's (including an O.O.) with no hole. Have another friend with a '72. I'll see if his is there.

Don
Leo Imperial
I use it to hold the tow hook. Same thread size.
rickyhgarcia
My car has A/C...but my spare is in the front trunk. An inverted square-U shaped bracket is placed on top of the condenser, attached on both sides of the condenser, with a threaded nut/hole right in the middle for the tire tie down.
IronHillRestorations
I just figured it was German engineering to give you an optional spare location.

If you put the spare in the back and leave the board out of the front trunk, you have enough room in the back for your mike stand and accessories, while your amp rides up front, and your guitar (and squeeze) in the passenger seat!

I wish I had a picture of my old 914 loaded with my gear on the way to a gig! When I had "good" tires on the car, and needed space I'd just leave the spare home, and put the 12 channel powered mixer in the back trunk.
Eric_Shea
Two Hoosier's in the front trunk and two Hoosier's in the rear. Take it to the course, bolt them on and beat the live'n piss out of it! w00t.gif

Oh wait... wrong forum. Sorry guys. unsure.gif

poke.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2006, 09:04 PM) *

Two Hoosier's in the front trunk and two Hoosier's in the rear. Take it to the course, bolt them on and beat the live'n piss out of it! w00t.gif

Oh wait... wrong forum. Sorry guys. unsure.gif

poke.gif

cant fit 2 in the rear......
914runnow
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ May 4 2006, 02:37 PM) *

My car has A/C...but my spare is in the front trunk. An inverted square-U shaped bracket is placed on top of the condenser, attached on both sides of the condenser, with a threaded nut/hole right in the middle for the tire tie down.

VPC or DPD system???My brkt is attached to the body on My VPC system..
ANY WAY>>> The hole was in all models of years....And was to allow for larger
items that needed more depth in front trunk, to allow tire in rear trunk....Not really A/C use ..
As that (A/C) was not even on Porsche's drawing board yet...Hence the hole miles before A/C was introduced..A/C cars were typically
2.0 cars in 73...Although 1.7 1.8's I have dismantled have had them...I have yet to see a 70 thru 72 car with it...Although Brett's book shows a 916 with one
in it...Possibly installed later by dealer??
SOOOOOO who has SEEN ONE that was delivered to the dealer like that OR excuse me....the dealer delivered new for the 70 yo 72 models...??? Thanx
Oppppps should this be a new thread??
sixerdon
I have a full set up in my '71 parts car. Go figure. It's the DPD unit. Unless there is some hard documentaion somewhere saying 914's weren't offered A/C until '73, I don't believe it. I picked this car up locally 6 years ago, but I don't know it's origin. It is a curious oddity for 914 enthusiasts in these parts. I can't imagine the power loss when these things are running on a 1.7.

Don
John
idea.gif

I guess I know where my spare can go.

Thanks for answering a question that I too had for a long time....
914werke
sort of related but under that trnk carpet on some cars is a pad. they differ in make/material from year top year. Does any one have the low down on what is appropriate for what yr.?
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 9 2006, 11:45 PM) *

sort of related but under that trnk carpet on some cars is a pad. they differ in make/material from year top year. Does any one have the low down on what is appropriate for what yr.?

My friends identical car to mine, but made a month later, in Sept. 73, has a very different looking pad material, and both our pads are O.E.

Different suppliers maybe to the factory ? Mine has a very smooth and finished, almost a shiny look, and has stayed in a very 'flat' appearing mode, while my friends, much lower mileage car, has a rougher texture pad, and its kind of curled up a little. Both cars have lived a pretty much 'sheltered' life, with little to no outdoor heat exposure.

What gives ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 9 2006, 07:45 PM) *

from DGVWPB:

"To lower the the heat buildup under and in the rear trunk area, the factory introduced a shortened rear valance and a additional insulating mat for the 1973 production."

bye1.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 5 2006, 04:28 PM) *

I have a full set up in my '71 parts car. Go figure. It's the DPD unit. Unless there is some hard documentaion somewhere saying 914's weren't offered A/C until '73, I don't believe it. I picked this car up locally 6 years ago, but I don't know it's origin. It is a curious oddity for 914 enthusiasts in these parts. I can't imagine the power loss when these things are running on a 1.7.

Don

We have one running on Betty's 1.8L. It actually makes it livable in Texas in mid-summer. Ran it for a while with the original York compressor, BIG power hog. We had to turn it off to pass someone. Since putting a rotary compressor on it, it is drivable with no problems.

On the DPD unit, the spare fits over the cone shaped condenser in the front trunk.
ANd if you want to sell the DPD system, I will buy it.
mrhurtalot
my 2.0 74 has the squareish condenser in the front. and the spare threads ontop of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.