Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Engagement Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
this is using a chevy starter with adaptor.

this looks to me like the starter si too far away from the ring gear on the flywheel.

ocassionally, when i try to start it, the starter grinds when attempting to engage.

judging by the wear marks could it be anything else???
Solutions?

Danke',
Roger
Dr. Roger
fgfgdfgf
drive-ability
I don't know what adapter your using but I have a renegade with a renegade supplied starter, flywheel. I had problems getting the system to work smoothly. I didn't get any grinding however the gear mesh was noisy. I had to oval the mounting holes and align the starter. This took a lot of time shifting around the starter as well as transmission. I found the connection between the transmission and the adapter plate just wasn't as precise as it should be.
Dr. Roger
did your starter gear come all the way out so you have full contact across the whole gear width?

was your issue more a distance from starter gear to ring gear?
I ask because that is my other concern. dry.gif
So.Cal.914
The wear marks on the starter gear only seem to be about a quarter of an inch long. But they look like they are prity deep on the tooth. Is there room for the shaft pilot (on the end of the starter) to move farther into the trans. Maybe just shave a little off your adapter so it penetrates a little farther in. Take a look at the wear marks on the flywheel and see if those too are shallow.

smoke.gif
Dr. Roger
yep, i checked the ring gear and it has the same wear marks. shallow gear engagement.

the tough thing is that the spacer is hub centric.

i was thinking about milling the starter gear engagement stop 1/4" or so... confused24.gif
bondo
I discussed this at length with KEP, and they told me that when disengaged, the starter gear should be very close to the flywheel teeth. They said that the starter will push the gear out, then start spinning it. If it's too far away, it'll start spinning before the gear engages. It sounds like that's what is happening to you. Why not just get a $100 high torque starter off ebay and be done? Do you have an odd setup that prevents a normal 914/911 starter from working?
byndbad914
I have a hi-torque 914/911 starter on my 11:1 race engine. I BURNT the stock 914 starter trying to start the car - would hardly turn it over in fact. Using some adapted Chevy starter sounds a little mickey-mouse and the mini starters aren't really that much money, so I would simply suggest getting the Pcar starter. It was amazing how well it turns over my short-track motor.

I got mine at Pelican because they are 5 blks from me and I needed it right away, but I believe you can search around and find them a bit cheaper as mentioned.
Dr. Roger
is there a way to tell if this is a modified flywheel/ring gear?

IPB Image

IPB Image
marks914
What you need is an IMI gear reduction starter for a 911/914. They will turn over a hi comperssion engine, but sometimes the end needs some reinforcement. They run $150-180 .

Mark
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 5 2006, 01:14 PM) *

What you need is an IMI gear reduction starter for a 911/914. They will turn over a hi comperssion engine, but sometimes the end needs some reinforcement. They run $150-180 .

Mark

Mark,

Does my flywheel/ring gear look compatible with the starter you suggest?
Mueller
oh the joys of piecing together a conversion instead of buying "all" the parts from the same place (new, not used) poke.gif

if your back is feeling better, I'm working on my car this weekend and I'm sure we can throw that part on the mill and open it up for you....
marks914
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 5 2006, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ May 5 2006, 01:14 PM) *

Mark

Mark,

Does my flywheel/ring gear look compatible with the starter you suggest?

I looks like a Renegade setup. Where did you get it? You could send some pics and measurements to Renegade and Kennedey to find out for sure.
Usually the flywheel is a 914 unit with the chevy pattern for the crank.

Either setup will use the IMI starter.

Be wary though, I bought a V8 flywheel from someone and it ended up being for a Bug, which bolted up OK but kind of bessed up the starter and flywheel.

Go here:
http://www.hitorque.com/

Mark
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 5 2006, 01:44 PM) *

oh the joys of piecing together a conversion instead of buying "all" the parts from the same place (new, not used) poke.gif

if your back is feeling better, I'm working on my car this weekend and I'm sure we can throw that part on the mill and open it up for you....

Hey Mike,
the back is feeling much better as of today. can't lift anything but it's a start. I'llactually be going by your house Sunday heading over to Bethel Island to supervise a skylight installation at a friends home.

are you right off of Hy.4???
i'd love to stop by and check out your place and shop. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.