Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concours DIY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Jasfsmith
Willing to listen to anyone with tips on the do's and don'ts. Is there an "etiquette" to the game?
Pat Garvey
Rules of etiquette differ from event to event. PCA rules are fairly consistent, be it a regional or national event.

Some primary rules are:

No junk in the car. Owners manual in the glovebox & all other things out. No misc paperwork. No floor mats, etc. The way it was delivered. Whether or not the front compartment items come out for display depends on event rules. Most events these days leave the spare & tools in the car, but read the event instructions.

Stay with your car & keep dusting off until you are told to stop. You should generally not touch your car when the judges begin judging your class.

Stay out of the way of the judges. They really get irritated when you follow them around like a puppy. Stand back from the car & allow them to do their job. Only speak when spoken to - they will probably ask questions about you car - answer to the best of your knowledge. The judges are usually well-versed in your model, so don't try to scam them.

Make certain all of your cleaning supplies are put away (not in the car!). A cluttered display area detracts from your car. Get your supplies as far away as possible.
Jasfsmith
You mean I'm not restricted from walking around my competitors car with an ice cream cone in hand while surveying their engine compartments?
TJB/914
Hi again Pat & 914er's.

Judging (pun) from the interest in this web site everyone wants/needs guidelines how & what is factory for displaying their 914's.

I suggest we post PCA judging sheets with the point system & any other judging sheet from other events. I am looking for our Mid-West 2005 judging sheet & can't find it. Hopefully Gary Stellmach has a copy. It's a cookbook menu sheet to show how your 914 is judged (with points). A lot of thought went into that Mid-West Judging sheet for our 914 event. It's not just for concour showing, but a guideline for any 914 event.

By the questions being asked it appears lots of purists & just regular 914 guys want to know the proper color of parts, plating specs, options & just what the factory part looks like.

My 2-cents worth. Anyone agree??

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 4 2006, 06:17 AM) *

You mean I'm not restricted from walking around my competitors car with an ice cream cone in hand while surveying their engine compartments?

Restricted only by etiquette.

One thing I've had problems with in the past is people's kids. I'm not trying to bash kids, but they should be reminded by the parents that the the event is not a "please touch" event. I've undoubtedly made some mothers angry by reminding them of this. They don't realize how much time & effort we have in our cars to make them ready for judging.

I like to have fun at these things, but when the judges hit the field, it's time to be very serious.
tod914
Oh and don't forget, when you turn your key in your ignition... the pinky finger must be fully extended poke.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 4 2006, 06:34 AM) *

Hi again Pat & 914er's.

Judging (pun) from the interest in this web site everyone wants/needs guidelines how & what is factory for displaying their 914's.

I suggest we post PCA judging sheets with the point system & any other judging sheet from other events. I am looking for our Mid-West 2005 judging sheet & can't find it. Hopefully Gary Stellmach has a copy. It's a cookbook menu sheet to show how your 914 is judged (with points). A lot of thought went into that Mid-West Judging sheet for our 914 event. It's not just for concour showing, but a guideline for any 914 event.

By the questions being asked it appears lots of purists & just regular 914 guys want to know the proper color of parts, plating specs, options & just what the factory part looks like.

My 2-cents worth. Anyone agree??

Tom

Tom, I haven't tried yet, but does anyopne know if the PCA PCR's are available as a download? This would have sample juding sheets for the various classes. The Mid-West 2005 judging forms sound like a great idea too. Maybe we should start a nailed piece to use as a "parts manual"?

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 4 2006, 08:45 AM) *

Oh and don't forget, when you turn your key in your ignition... the pinky finger must be fully extended poke.gif

It's probably already fully extended from the band-aids covering the knuckles!
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 4 2006, 08:45 AM) *

With or without leather driving gloves on? <grin>
carreraguy

[/quote]

Tom, I haven't tried yet, but does anyopne know if the PCA PCR's are available as a download? This would have sample juding sheets for the various classes. The Mid-West 2005 judging forms sound like a great idea too. Maybe we should start a nailed piece to use as a "parts manual"?
[/quote]

As I posted in another related thread - PCA Zone 7 judging standard are at:
http://www.pca.org/zone7/index.php?page=te...d=concourcat#jf This should give everyone some idea as to what is expected, but nothing beats experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.