Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I made some holes last weekend...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
With the new house and caliper after caliper after caliper, it's hard to find time to work on my own project. I finally said enough is enough and while most people were out welding up holes, I was putting a few 'in' my tub.

Looks like I'm making room for the mice... actually a front oil cooler:
Eric_Shea
Of all the cuts I made, the most painful was the Engman board biggrin.gif

Looks like I need to get some Rust-Mort and some POR-15 in there... The windshield was out at one time and rain got in the footwell, you can see an access hole on the side that the water came through. sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Engine access hole...
sixnotfour
thumb3d.gif GT
Eric_Shea
Indeed wub.gif
Sideways
Nice Holes, that could also be a great way to deal with rust......

OT did you get the coupon I sent you?
Aaron Cox
GT style! nice.

wear thick shoes....

AA
Eric_Shea
Public Shout Out to Steven! smilie_pokal.gif

Dude... you saved us $90 clams at the Depot wub.gif

Many, many, thanks! I used the occasion to tell the wife how cool the club is. Now I'll tell everyone else... this club rocks.

Thanks Steven!

Aa... building a cover for it. I plan to drive naked so the heat will be welcome.
Sideways
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2006, 07:23 PM) *

Public Shout Out to Steven! smilie_pokal.gif

Dude... you saved us $90 clams at the Depot wub.gif

Many, many, thanks! I used the occasion to tell the wife how cool the club is. Now I'll tell everyone else... this club rocks.

Thanks Steven!

Aa... building a cover for it. I plan to drive naked so the heat will be welcome.

Glad I could help.....

Thanks for the photo's gives me a guide for my car....
Eric_Shea
gives me a guide for my car....

Yeah... I cruised Armando's site for about an hour that day. Before each hole I referrenced a couple of the factory GT's. In the end you've got to pick one. They're all different. laugh.gif
Sideways
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2006, 07:46 PM) *

gives me a guide for my car....

Yeah... I cruised Armando's site for about an hour that day. Before each hole I referrenced a couple of the factory GT's. In the end you've got to pick one. They're all different. laugh.gif

I got lost in Armando's site once....I think I missed a birthday or something... biggrin.gif
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2006, 03:57 PM) *

Of all the cuts I made, the most painful was the Engman board biggrin.gif

Looks like I need to get some Rust-Mort and some POR-15 in there... The windshield was out at one time and rain got in the footwell, you can see an access hole on the side that the water came through. sad.gif

I have rust like that in the center tunnel...the restorer told he will spray some product to seal it, thus preventing air to get in contact with the surface rust. Does that sounds like Rust-Mort and POR-15???
Eric_Shea
Well... rust never sleeps. I'd Rust-Mort it first to stop it and then seal it. It could be POR-15 he's talking about but, it's hard to tell.

Ask him... and then tell us wink.gif
TROJANMAN
eric,
i had no idea you even owned a 914. laugh.gif

i guess seeing is believing cool_shades.gif

will it be ready for RRC?
Eric_Shea
You're a riot... a regular riot!

Yeah... it'll be there (in prussian blue rear engine form)
Gint
'bout time you got something done... sawzall-smiley.gif
Aaron Cox
lets all bag on eric. he is a no good bozo! not even a 914!!!! just jams the resources section pushing his shit!!!

LOL -

we love you bro. in that heterosexual non poligamy way )

AA
Aaron Cox
and your not getting my bud light!

Eric_Shea
'bout time you got something done...

Hey... I'm gett'n old!

(Anybody need any calipers? Pedal Assemblies? 5-Lug Hubs?)
North Bay 914
I worked om my own car for a change as well...by the way Eric, I start my new job on Monday. Fixing airplanes again...

Graphics for the GT....these are the templates for the SONAUTO stuff
sixnotfour
There is 2 SONAUTO clone cars up here in Washington.

Eric whats you paint plans , yellow being faster?
North Bay 914
Any photos of them?
North Bay 914
Check this B&W pic of the Jager replica here, at the SVR CRAB concour...
sixnotfour
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ May 4 2006, 10:06 PM) *

Any photos of them?

ya i will dig em up
North Bay 914
Nuther angle...they easily won the class.
North Bay 914
One change I will make is the addition of the GT to the deck lid, like this....
brant
Nice Job Eric!

plan on doing more this weekend?

brant
Eric_Shea
Jeff gets the question of the day!

I 'believe' I've settled on Saturn Yellow (in the spectrum of light, I believe red and orange are slightly faster though). I SO BADLY WANT TO PAINT IT SIGNAL ORANGE.

I guess the problem lies in the fact that I've convinced myself that I don't like Saturn/Chrome Yellow. I know for a fact I love Signal Orange. Saturn/Chrome when side by side with Canary just seems to well... uhhh... I don't know, maybe it's a bit, not yellow? Washed out? confused24.gif

The other problem lies in the fact that I do not like color changes.

Yet another is...there's no Saturn/Chrome GT's. But how stupid am I? I want to build a car that will be as close to a factory GT as possible without going totally crazy and starting all over with a -6 tub. So for me that means; Stripped interior with GT seats and felt, roll bar etc. but key on the right and vents in the dash will be OK. Suspension as close to that period as possible. No huge bars or radical brakes, Koni struts, S-Calipers GT reinforcements etc. Engine is GregD's 2.5 S motor built on a sandcast case. Now that being said... it won't be 'extremely accurate' but should have the feel (which is what I want)... is the color that big of a deal?

So... I've been going back and forth with this for quite some time now. I've literally said "Thats IT, I'm painting it Signal Orange and that's all there is to it!" only to come back and say, "Saturn Yellow isn't that bad and yellow's the wife's favorite color and if she's happy, I get a LOT more................... time to play in the garage. w00t.gif

Lately I've been asking myself why I've prejudiced my thinking on Saturn/Chrome Yellow. With the right mix it can be quite a funky 70's kinda color (funky is good... just ask Bootsy). I'm using that method to fall in love with it and wholeheartedly endorse the squirting of Saturn yellow back on her flesh...

Thoughts? confused24.gif

Martin, are those decals available or do you have to have them made??
Eric_Shea
Nice Job Eric!

plan on doing more this weekend?

av-943.gif

Stain the deck, two pedals assemblies, two rear calipers, paint the ceiling in Nikki's Room, paint the walls in Nikki's room... yeah, I should be able to get all the metal work done on the six this weekend!

av-943.gif
siverson
Signal Orange!
Eric_Shea
(Bastard!)
jsteele22
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2006, 06:03 PM) *

Engine access hole...

Mmmm Mmmmm Gooood. Tomato Soup......
North Bay 914
Morning Eric, I am having them made, they guy can do anything you would like, and I have chosen a replica of the SONAUTO car, because my car is white, and I will not change the color of it anytime soon. I am a Signal Orange man myself! I am quoted $300-500.00 for the graphics. Not sure how long it will take him to complete them.
Eric_Shea
Great price...
maf914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 5 2006, 07:04 AM) *

Yet another is...there's no Saturn/Chrome GT's. But how stupid am I? I want to build a car that will be as close to a factory GT as possible without going totally crazy and starting all over with a -6 tub.

There is a yellow 914 GT with Sunoco markings from the early IMSA days that is often shown at the historic displays at the Daytona Speedway during the 24 Hrs and HSR historic events. If I recall correctly it is yellow with orange rocker panels.
Eric_Shea
Canary...
Eric_Shea
Probably at Daytona because it won Daytona in 71
North Bay 914
This car was delivered Light Ivory. Many of the GT were, then painted into sponsor colors. This is why if I do change mine to Orange, I will not feel so bad. This car has white in the trunks etc.
Eric_Shea
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing... like the Max Moritz ride. I was thinking I could use the POR-15 Bright White in the trunks and engine compartment for a ) durability and b ) it's flow characteristics. Then the wheel wells started bothering me and , and, and...

This is the biggest dilemma I'm facing with the car.
thesey914
So not all the GT's had gas-strut mechanisms for the headlights -I see a motor
Eric_Shea
I don't think there's any one thing that can define a GT with the exception of the flares laugh.gif

Some had stock tanks, some had 100 litre extended tanks, Some with heat, most without. Some with headlight motors, some with struts. Oil overflows all varied on type and location. Some sway bars mounted stock, others in the trunk. Some with roll bars some without (all rollbars seemed to vary wildly). Some with lights, some with flat hoods (there's a real GT here in UT w/o lights, factory made hillclimb car)

That's what I meant earlier when I said, in the end, you just have to pick the one you like. All the holes I cut varried from factory car to factory car. At this point you're really dealing with a hand-made car.
sixnotfour
Here is one sonauto , decals not on car yet,
the other has been raced for about 6years owned by Scott Taylor of Seattle,(still looking for picture)

Eric , Yellow sonauto would be unique.
North Bay 914
Are you trying to sell the set? I would be interested if so.

Eric_Shea
I'm going Sans-Graphics. Believe it or not, I still want to drive it on the road wink.gif

Martin... any news on the oil lines?
North Bay 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 8 2006, 08:50 AM) *

I'm going Sans-Graphics. Believe it or not, I still want to drive it on the road wink.gif

Martin... any news on the oil lines?

Yes, I spoke with Mark Allen yesterday, and he has no lines in stock at the moment. He said fall, and to bug him, and he will make them sooner....
sixnotfour
scott taylor
http://thedigitalperspective.exposuremanag...13_groupv-40110
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.