Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Signal Buckets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Was just doing some spring cleaning & noted that the front signals looked a little darkers that they should. Pulled the lenses & saw that the reflective coating in the buckets was about a third gone! This happened to me about 10 years ago & I replaced the buckets (they were a LOT cheaper then) & seals. No water has touched this area since.

What's causing this?

Has anyone attempted to "restore" or refinish the buckets?

Don't want to invest in another set if I don't need to. Plus I'd then have 2 complete, and unusable sets sitting on the shelf!

If this was posted in another Forum in the past, I apoligize - but couldn't find any help with a search.
mad.gif
North Bay 914
Here are my Euro conversions, which off course for all you CW's I could leave out the really cool Euro conversion. There are platers who can replate the inside to get the correct finish I am told.
AvalonFal
Pat,
Have you looked at the Eastwood catalogue or site? They offer some reflective coatings in spray cans. May be a cheap fix.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ May 5 2006, 01:34 PM) *

Pat,
Have you looked at the Eastwood catalogue or site? They offer some reflective coatings in spray cans. May be a cheap fix.

How about alink?
Lou W
Here you go, I've used similar a product:

Eastwood Chrome Paint
North Bay 914
You are looking at the Eastwood product on my housings...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ May 6 2006, 12:25 PM) *

You are looking at the Eastwood product on my housings...

I'm a little anal - have any closer photos? Look like the best alternative to re-plating at more then new parts would cost.
gms
drunk.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 4 2006, 05:39 PM) *

Do you loose point (in concours) for incorrect lenses, e.g., Euro lenses on US delivered car?

Do they pull off the lenses while judging your car?

Real European turn signal bucket
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The connectors give it away
Click to view attachment

The answers are "probably not" & "defnitely", depending on the event.
Caveat here - I personally am a hardnose.

Show up at a regional concours with euro lenses/buckets & side marker lenses, I'll deduct. No side markers & euro lenses/buckets ( & they had better be both) & tell me your 914 is a eurocar, I'll probably believe you & let it go. Regional events are more forgiving.

But.......national events are WAY different. Show up w/euro lenses/buckets and side markers - you'll lose the max for originality of the category. Euro lenses/buckets & NO side markers - you'll have to show proof that it's an original euro car (COA would do). Rule of thumb - if it isn't original to the car, don't display it that way if you want to try to win. Once upon a time you could get away with personal touches at something like a PCA Parade - no more, if you want to win!

As I said earlier, I am a hardnose. Of the more than 50 concours events I've attended, 90% of the time I'm forced to judge. While everyone else is enjoying the chit chat & lunch, I'm under someones car judging it. You're off having fun while I'm judging your car. And yes, many of you wander away from your car while it's being judged - huge mistake. Not present to answer my questions - you're gigged for anything not right. If you're present, we can discuss & I may bend. Don't leave your car. And, because I'm a hardnose for originality, you WILL lose points, even at a regional event, for anything unoriginal. Not limited to turn signal buckets.

Concours, to me, is black and white. It's either correct/original or not. Not to say you'll lose points for cleanliness & prep - those are different points. But, if you're not original, and not present, you'll lose the max originality points from me automatically.

BTW GMS - this is NOT directed at you. You only asked the question.

Am I an as__ole about concours? Don't think so, just a purist.
Do I judge all cars equally? You bet! if you bring a a pink 914 to a concours & have proof that it was a paint-to-sample color - good with me, because it's original.

But that's just me. I'm a humble and completely unopinionated person.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 4 2006, 05:39 PM) *

Do you loose point (in concours) for incorrect lenses, e.g., Euro lenses on US delivered car?

Do they pull off the lenses while judging your car?

Real European turn signal bucket
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The connectors give it away
Click to view attachment

BTW, forgot to mention this - NO ONE should remove ANYTHING from your car when judging. If so - protest. If the judge says he did the same for all cars judged - still protest. A judge can "touch" for crud, but nothing gets removed by the judge.

In really rare circumstances of a tie-breaker you may be asked to remove something - but only YOU can remove it (these are really rare circumstances) and anyone else's car involved will have to do likewise. In 32 years of concours judging/participating I've seen this happen only once!
gms
drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.