Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I find these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Hey, I found this picture in the 'post your car pic' thread, and he did exactyl what I want to do with the mirrors; bullet mirrors mounted way out on the front fenders. I can't find any mirrors like that on the internet anywhere. Anyone know who makes those? I would ask the guy who owns the car, but I looked at his profile and he hasn't been active in like a year and a half. thanks.
Mark D. wub.gif
Attached image(s)
shocked[1].gif Wub is in the air........ NVM
mikeyb33
ummm... pics?? Linky?
BMXerror
Crap... can't figure out how to attach the pic...... Oh, there we go.
Mark D.
ptravnic
Just curious...What is the appeal?
BMXerror
A: Good side visability without looking over the shoulder. B Cool vintage European roadracer look. The side visability is why they did it too.
Mark D.
North Bay 914
I just meet the owner of this car, saw the car in person, he has the mirrors off the car, and is not sure if he will put them back on. He wants to buy a gas cap from me. His name is Larry. His car is a real 914-6, M471 car. His brother bought it in Germany, 1974, from a PORSCHE engineer.
BMXerror
Is there any way I can get ahold of him... or you could ask him where he got the mirrors.... they're not factory, are they?
Mark D.
Aaron Cox
those are TALBOT mirrors.

sell for around 300 each on ebay.... LOL

i think its www.talbotco.com
North Bay 914
They were on the car when he got it after his brother leaving the car to him. I will give him a call. I agree that they are Talbots...here they are on one of the GT cars at the Nurburgring.
BMXerror
Some people might say that I'm too young to remember that style. I first saw it on a factory right hand drive nissan 280 zx. It had factory custom bullet mirrors mounted way forward like that. I would've loved to buy that car when it was for sale, but I didn't have the money...... plus I was like 10 years old.
Mark D.
jd66921
I had mirrors sorta like that on my Austin Healey, and they didn't work well.

BMXerror
what was the problem with them?
M.D.
jd66921
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 5 2006, 10:18 AM) *

what was the problem with them?
M.D.

Even with wide angle mirrors, you couldn't really see much. The
mirrors were too small at that distance to give you a big image. I
much prefer regular side view mirrors even though they don't
look as cool.
BMXerror
Yeah, I've thought of that, but I figure since I'm gonna custom mount them anyways, I'll be able to check that out before I put them on. If I find I don't like them way forward it's fine, because I think the bullets would look cool in the regular position too. In any case, I'm not really ready to do that yet anyways. Right now I have to worry about the engine that seized up yesterday. sad.gif BTW, if that car I posted a pic of is all origional, it looks more like a 916 than a 914-6. I'm not an expert on the subject, but that car's got any interesting story either way.
Mark D.
givory
Source for vintage mirrors:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productde....asp?RecId=2227
Gavin
BMXerror
AWSOME!!! Thanks Givory
Mark D.
Mueller
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 5 2006, 12:03 PM) *

BTW, if that car I posted a pic of is all origional, it looks more like a 916 than a 914-6. I'm not an expert on the subject, but that car's got any interesting story either way.
Mark D.

re-read what Martin wrote, it's a 914/6

what would be nice is if those bullet mirrors can be made into electric mirrors, it would be a PITA to have to adjust them and forget about wiping off water/dew from them
JPB
From all of us who like wierd stuff, THNX givery dude, Got that site in my favvs now.

beer.gif If drunk, all seems much nicer, even bullet mirrors.
JPB
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 5 2006, 01:52 PM) *

Just curious...What is the appeal?

It must be the appeal of old lookin crap still boiloing in my blood I guess.

wub.gif Ya, they tickeled me also.
cobra94563
Those look like these...

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/catalog/de...04ad09f75d81306

Both are used often on cobra's and 60's period cars.

driving.gif
BMXerror
Same thing. Same model number. They're just a genaric mirror for no car in specific.
Mark D.
byndbad914
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ May 5 2006, 03:30 PM) *

Those look like these...
Both are used often on cobra's and 60's period cars.

driving.gif

yeah, beat me too it. Much cheaper if you look around the Mustang/Cobra sites.

And I agree with jd.., YOU CAN'T SEE A DAMN THING WITH THOSE MIRRORS! My friend had them on his vintage 70 Mustang T/A I drove out at Willow a couple of times - for one race - mounted on the door in a factory location (close to the driver, not out on the fenders) and I/he couldn't see a goddamn thing in them. He took them off when he got home and put the "stock but bigger" ones back on.

Mount them out on the fenders and fahgetaboutit. They look cool, but if a car behind you isn't right in the small line of site it has, you will never see it, unless you have all the time in the world to not bother watching where you are going, then you can squint, twist your head around, lean forward then back and all that and probably find them happy11.gif

IMO they are good enough if you just street drive and don't mind twisting around to check your blind spots and such to be certain no one is there, then the cool factor might outweigh the functionality, but if you track the car, I wouldn't like them, especially that far away on the fender.
BMXerror
Man, I didn't think this thread would go on so long. dead horse.gif Maybe I should stop asking questions..... Anyways, did your friend have the flat mirrors of the convex ones? biggrin.gif Just asking because you said that they had bad L.O.S.
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
I work on a number of older sports cars, not just Porsches. Frankly, those mirrors might look cool, but they're effectively USELESS. The original mirror on my 911 is better than those things, what with being a little bigger and mounted on the door, but it's still not very good. In fact, the stock 914 mirror isn't all that great, either. I sure wouldn't want to drive in traffic with a 3 inch round mirror 4-5 feet out in front of me. Or even 3 feet. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
They suck.....expensively....
byndbad914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 5 2006, 05:10 PM) *

Man, I didn't think this thread would go on so long. dead horse.gif Maybe I should stop asking questions..... Anyways, did your friend have the flat mirrors of the convex ones? biggrin.gif Just asking because you said that they had bad L.O.S.
Mark D.

I think the other guys helped back the point, but to answer your ? IIRC he had the convex ones because he knew the flats would be really bad. The issue was that if you run flat ones you will see nothing. The convex ones, the car won't "look right" and really hard to tell where the other car was in relation to his car (i.e. how close they were and whether you could safely cross over in front of them to stay on line or hit them). A couple feet out on the fender and you would see a colored dot for the following car and have no idea whatsoever of relative distance.

They just suck frankly. Save yourself the money, and I agree the stock 914 mirror isn't all that great either, but golden by comparison to the bullets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.