Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 fuel/oil level gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
For those of you running a 911 dash and using a 911 fuel gauge, has anyone done anything with the oil level side of the gauge??? I kinda hate the idea of a needle sitting in the red all the time due to a defunct gauge......I know.....I know.....just ignore it.
jasons
QUOTE(East coaster @ May 5 2006, 02:05 PM) *

For those of you running a 911 dash and using a 911 fuel gauge, has anyone done anything with the oil level side of the gauge??? I kinda hate the idea of a needle sitting in the red all the time due to a defunct gauge......I know.....I know.....just ignore it.

You could stick a resistor and 12v on it and it would at least go up to some kind of reading. That way it wouldn't look so useless.
markb
Couldn't you use the same sender as used in a 911? I know nothing about either, so my ignorance may be showing here.
ewdysar
North Hollywood speedo replaced my oil level gauge with a voltmeter. Looks stock, and I can see when the radiator fans kick on...

Eric
Gary
QUOTE(markb @ May 5 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Couldn't you use the same sender as used in a 911? I know nothing about either, so my ignorance may be showing here.

Unfortunately, no sender provision in 914-6 tank...
bondo
I plan to wire mine up to the sender for the low oil light that's in the oil pan of the LT1. I'll set it up so it will show full or empty. Not as good as a real level indicator, but better than nothing. Such a sender may be hackable into a type IV or a /6 tank, but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing it will make the needle bounce around on turns, but oh well. The computer in the instrument cluster of the Firebird had some sort of crazy algorythm that would look at the sender output and if it saw enough "low oil" signals over a period of time, it would then turn on the light and leave it on until it saw less than another amount of "low oil" signals. A lot of effort just to make sure the light doesn't flicker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.