I hope to have it in soon,

IPB Image
Qarl
QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 5 2006, 06:02 PM) *

I hope to have it in soon,

IPB Image

You running a 915 tranny?
ewdysar
OHH OHH I know the answer. He's running a 930!

Eric
Qarl
doh! beer.gif
bd1308
I wish I could get a speed sensor to adapt to the 901....

b
lapuwali
A magnet, a Hall sensor, and a bit of cleverness in mounting it will net you an electronic speed sensor for any car, Britt. Mounting the magnet on the inner CV joint flange and the sensor to the gearbox works very well.
bd1308
good point! Didnt think about that.

Thx,

b
Qarl
Depending on how many pulses it takes...

If it's 16, then you're in luck...

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_send.asp?Sender=VW_GM_Cable

ClayPerrine
You mean something like this...

bd1308
drooley.gif

one less cable in my car....

b
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 5 2006, 09:37 PM) *

drooley.gif

one less cable in my car....

b

That setup is sitting on a shelf in the garage. The speedo I got to go with it was dead, so I put a 914 speedo in the car. The wiring is all there, just no electronic speedo.

I can tell you how to do it, but it is not cheap.

drive-ability
You can take the set up from a road bike, mountain bike, simple enough to set up. A ready made Permanent magnet generator .
turboman808
I want one!!!! How would you hook that up? The car I got doesn't have the speedo working because of some tranny mod. How can I hook up one of these electronic???

I really want to do this biggrin.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 5 2006, 08:46 PM) *

I want one!!!! How would you hook that up? The car I got doesn't have the speedo working because of some tranny mod. How can I hook up one of these electronic???

I really want to do this biggrin.gif

First, buy an electronic speedo. VDO makes them, as do Autometer, and the other usual suspects. They're fairly expensive ($200-ish), but can be used with a wide variety of senders and calibrated on the fly to many different wheel diameters and pulses per mile setups.

The sender can range from a $5 homebrew setup using a Hall Effect transistor sender (non-latching type) and a magnet on the diff output flange, as I mentioned above, to an auto-grade threaded body sender ($50-ish) that will do the same thing, but more reliably, to a sender adapted to the speedo output on the gearbox, as Clay pictured.

The advantages are: no more cable to snap and make noise and be a pain in the arse to install or get wrapped around the clutch or throttle cables; speedo has a smooth action with no bouncing; nice LCD odo/tripmeter that doesn't break; easy recalibration if you change tire sizes.

The disadvantages are: expensive; gauges generally aren't a good match for the other gauges on the dash; you lose any indicator lights in the speedo (like the high beam indicator), which have to be moved elsewhere.
jonwatts
Paging neo914-6, neo914-6 to the speedometer thread please.

East coaster
Why not use a 911 electronic speedo?

That's what I have but now I have to make something for feed it. The person who did my Wevo 915 should have addressed the speedo emitter ring in the tranny so I could mount a pick up on the opposite side, but I doubt the he did. I saw somewhere in an old thread where someone simply had a magnet hose clamped to the CV body and he said it worked fine.

I'm planning on making an emitter ring (disk) that mounts between CV and output flange. The 911 speedo needs a series of magnets if I recall what the emitter disk looked like inside the tranny. I figure the easiest thing is to duplicate the stock ring as far as diameter and magnet spacing and hope it's semi-accurate??
Qarl
East Coaster.... isn't that what this entire thread is about. confused24.gif

First pic is a 911 electronic speedo.
East coaster
That's what I thought and got confused by this statement:

"First, buy an electronic speedo. VDO makes them, as do Autometer, and the other usual suspects. They're fairly expensive ($200-ish), but can be used with a wide variety of senders and calibrated on the fly to many different wheel diameters and pulses per mile setups."
turboman808
Any idea where I can pickup the same one as above. I looked around a bit and couldn't find it. I found lots of 160-180 mph speedos. Some even had the light for the brights.

I know I don't need a 200mph speedo but I wants it biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.