Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT other resources
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
G e o r g e
i know what some of you do, but not what most of you do for a living.

just thought since this place is such a great resource for our cars, it might as well become a good resource section for other areas of interest or need.

i'll start,

plumbing contractor , comm. industrial. ( only homes i touch are friends )

so if you have any $$$ on nipple lengths, ballcocks, pipe dope etc drop me a line.

now it's your turn, if you read this then post a reply. what can it hurt
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(maddeye @ May 5 2006, 09:21 PM) *

i know what some of you do, but not what most of you do for a living.

just thought since this place is such a great resource for our cars, it might as well become a good resource section for other areas of interest or need.

i'll start,

plumbing contractor , comm. industrial. ( only homes i touch are friends )

so if you have any $$$ on nipple lengths, ballcocks, pipe dope etc drop me a line.

Here's a perfect avatar for you..... The plumber's revenge for not getting paid.

SirAndy
QUOTE(maddeye @ May 5 2006, 07:21 PM) *

IT Director/CTO/Technical Director for my own company ...

so, if you ever need computer help, call clay!
biggrin.gif Andy
bd1308
I build repair and fix computers for people, data recovery and I stock Health related items at my local Meijer....I hate the Meijer job, so I might work for UPS and sneak onto Elliot's plane....

b
fitsbain
I do tech suport for Aerotech. We do motion controls and CNC equipment.

Basically I spend all day in a little cube talking to people that just spent $250,000 for equipment and forgot to read the manual about how to hook it up.

So now you can see why I put so much into the teener at night, I neew to blow off steam. Only other option is to beer3.gif and then I have a different problem.
mightyohm
I design HBT MMIC RF Power Amplifiers for WLAN/WiMAX equipment. I am hiring, if anyone knows of any good InGaP HBT designers with MSEE and 5+ yrs please let me know. cool.gif
ClayPerrine
I spent 6 years fixing other people's computer networks. For 5 years I answered telephones for the "Evil Empire"....AKA Microsoft. When my job went to India and I didn't, I got a job working as a consultant.

Now I am in charge of the corporate network for Jacuzzibrands.

Yes... we make the bubbly tubs everyone loves...... biggrin.gif
Lou W
I work for Country Wide Home Loans as a Home Loan Consultant, My main source of business is New Home Sales generated through KB Home sales. This keeps me very busy. I've been in Real Estate since 1991, prior to that, I spent 13 years in the Aero Space Industry where I was a Design Engineer. smile.gif
Joe Bob
I'm with the Gubmint...I'm here to help.

I pay for my toys by making vinyl graphics and buying/selling parts.
BMXerror
I work for UPS. So if you ever need any of your precious teener parts shipped, pay twice as mush to have me to throw your package your general direction with reckless disregard!... BD1308 knows what I mean.
Mark D.
iamchappy
I am an artist and have been doing commercial art work for the past 32 years.
GWN7
I'm the Master Franchise Owner for "Home Based Meth Operations" We set up Authorised Franchises in various areas of North America. Business is booming, in fact we are looking at buying TV time for infomercials at 4am in most time zones. (4am is the perfect time to reach our target audiance of tweekers) wink.gif bs.gif

Err .....it's either that or I put the wet stuff on the red stuff beerchug.gif
blitZ
I'm self employed as an Internet Development Consultant, fancy name for a programmer. We have UPS employees here? I did several years at their main office here in Atlanta, coat and tie everyday, yuk.
turboman808
I wear a different hat every day of the week. I work in a DVD production studio/DVD replication facility. Every day is completely different. Some days are strictly networking and others are spent designing or editing.

I would like to spend more time in the replication facility. Learning those machines and how to operate them seems to be a very big asset. The engineers in that department have worked all over the world.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Lou W @ May 5 2006, 08:13 PM) *

I work for Country Wide Home Loans as a Home Loan Consultant, My main source of business is New Home Sales generated through KB Home sales. This keeps me very busy. I've been in Real Estate since 1991, prior to that, I spent 13 years in the Aero Space Industry where I was a Design Engineer. smile.gif

Damn, Lou, small world... I recently bought a KB-built condo, and have the loan through Countrywide...

Anyway, I am (now again!!) an engineer at NASA-Ames Research Center. I'm working on Air Traffic Management software this time.

--DD
jimtab
Well, after 27 years as a wholesale plumbing salesman I'm now on the other end of the rifle....I'm a buyer for a commercial/industrial hardware store in the Potrero Hill section of SF, Fid and his wife were just in the other day....beats working for a living....
TonyAKAVW
I do surprisingly similar work to Jeff Keyzer, maybe thats because we studied the same stuff in school. I design RF MMICs (certain kind of microchip) in III-V compound semiconductors. Only ours go up into space, rather than cell phones.

-Tony
eg914
I am a mechanical engineer (not what you may think). I work for a firm that designs air conditioning systems, plumbing, medical gas systems for hospitals, schools, you name it. It pays for my habits.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(eg914 @ May 5 2006, 10:37 PM) *

I am a mechanical engineer (not what you may think).

exactly what i would think......... ar15.gif biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
I am a domestic slacker. I test chairs, couches and horizontal comfort devices.

But I am self employed so I get to work out of my home. I did work for Sun

Studios as asst. electronic eng. and camara opp. Did I mention I test

herbal attitude adjusters.. smoke.gif
Brando
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 5 2006, 08:40 PM) *

I am an artist and have been doing commercial art work for the past 32 years.

OMG THOMAS KINKADE WILL YOU SIGN MY LAMP?

I'm just kiddin chappy laugh.gif

I work at The Wall Street Journal in Pre-Press Operations.

And

Apprentice at a local porsche shop (as work comes in).
North Bay 914
FAA Certified Airframe and Powerplant Technician. I can fix your 747, or your Cessna, and its all legal.
Grimstead
I’m a systems programmer for California’s largest health care provider (whatever that means confused24.gif )
type.gif smash.gif beer3.gif yawn.gif
Rand
Web development and IT consulting. Business owner: 4nets.com
carreraguy
Retired Naval officer, part time corporate/securities paralegal and commercial property owner/manager - the rest of the time I'm semi-retired. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Competitive Swim Coach, and now Facility manager.....

i sit on my ass and enjoy the view smile.gif

i love city beauracracy jobs smile.gif
Twystd1
I do as little as possible...

I do flip 914 parts when I am not giving them away.......

I handle Pharma products (legit) bulk or drop ship..

And have a piece of a mining company in mexico....

I also hook people up for high level software programming.

And about twenty other things...

My mantra is... it's all about the kids.

Somehow.... it makes me enough money to make it through each year.. And play with Teeners to my hearts content........

Clayton
craig downs
I work for a very cool general contractor. I do a little and alot of everything.
What ever the subs don't or want to do then I take care of it. Or if the job
small or no subs then I do it all. The best thing I like is I do something different
almost everyday.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have been in the Hair bussness for 41 yrs. Both as a Barber ,and Hair Replacement. Both have been very good to me and my family. Tried to retire 3 yrs. ago drove my wife and my self NUTS. So went back to it kinda part time ,cut down to one employee and havening a ball. I try to go to every 914 show, get to geather, cook out I can drive my 914 to. Just haveing fun I guess. Dave slap.gif
East coaster
DD........NGATs mean anything to you??
type47
home depot pays for my car habit. i'm a high school science teacher during the day. blowup.gif
smontanaro
I'm a software engineer at a commodities trading firm in Chicago. Doubt I can
help with anyone's plumbing...

Skip
riverman
I'm a slum-lord with a portfolio of student rental properties. I have a property management company look after that for me, so I work about an hour a week at that during the school year.

My father and I manage a private investment fund. It's essentially a computer program that looks after itself, so I spend about an hour a day at that doing research.

I have a four year-old daughter and love being her stay-at-home Dad, so I spend about 160 hours a week doing that (except when she's at school, then I go golfing or work on my car).
Dr Evil
18-24 US Coast Guard: first as a deck hand on the Munro (WHEC 724) out of Alameda, CA visitnig AK, the Bering, and several southern countries. Then became an avionics technician/search and rescue flight mechanic on the HH-65 Dauphin helo.

24-28 College: Home Depot as a cashier, Money Tree as a teller, plumbers assistant.

Currently: in med school racking up ginormous debt.

I fund my habbit by either rebuilding trannies (PM me aas I will be doing a few this summer) for members, selling services and items for their cars, etc.
Katmanken
Teener bills, teener bills....

Lets see....

Buying my car... Worked as a Mechanical Engineer for a computer company. The designer they gave me was incompetent (bosses friend) and the supposed 50/50 work split went 85% for me, 15% for Bobo. The bosses boss recognized the problem and I got 15% of my pay for each hour of overtime. I managed to accumulate enough overtime money to buy my 914, all new engine parts, and most all rubber. blink.gif Don't wanna think how many hours THAT was

Then I worked for a well known medical company and they paid for inventors on patents. Started at $50 per and eventually went to $1000 per with $600 on filing and $400 on issue. Being a very creative sort of guy, I would think up good patentable inventions so we would have something fun to work on, and to finance the teener habit, the go to Alaska habit and one trip back to Spain. ....As one of the top 5 inventors with 19 issued patents and 21 more in the hopper, life was good.

"Lost" my Mechanical Engineering job after 14 years at a medical corporation that has lost their ethics, integrity, and honor. To add to the "fun" the corporate "rules" were rewritten to provide no reimbursement on patents they might have neglected to pay you for before your last day.

I now work for a law firm downtown as a Registered Patent Agent writing patents. A little more money than the engineering gig, but no patent bonuses.

Ken
balljoint
I am the ruthless dictator of a very very small country. Most of my 914 purchases are made with misappropriated tax revenues. Please don't repeat this to my people, as they are already whispering about a military coup. stan.gif
BigDBass
I work in IT for a medium-sized private university as the boss of the network and server stuff. Internet, email, security, web servers, wireless ethernet, connecting sites, etc., etc.

I'm also working on getting a small reptile breeding business off the ground. This summer should be my first profitable year. smile.gif I'd point you to my website but it's been "not done yet" for 6 or so months. headbang.gif

The teener, however, was paid for with stock market profits, a source of income I take very seriously.
chilli
Arrange public school construction financing
pete-stevers
i am a veggie mechandiser.....
keeps me busy and out of trouble....
GaroldShaffer
Engineering manager for Motorola. Been working in Cellular communications since 1985 icon8.gif Can't complain, after 20 yrs with Moto I get to work from home and run a crew of 18 field engineers that install and test cellular networks.

In my spare time I buy dead 914's & sometimes 911's and part them out to help support my 914 & SCCA habits driving.gif

obscurity
Architect by day (I've done mostly sports facilities, higher education facilities, multifamily residential and some small residential)

Random project junky by night (renovating my house, 914, building a CNC, and a hovercraft to name a few. No, none of them are moving very fast)
mikelsr
CTO for a software firm that creates trusted (Linux/Unix) operating systems. Most of the times it keeps me off the street (and pays for my Porsche habits).
gdonahoe
Manage a fabrication shop in Costa Mesa, California. We build parts that our customers sell under their brand names. Specialize in high performance automotive exhaust and sway bars. In addition to other auto related pieces we build parts for exercise equipment.

Formerly spent four years as the technical/operations director of the Indy Lights racing series based in Troy, Michigan. Prior to that worked fourteen years at All American Racers in Santa Ana, California. The first six years I was crew chief on Car #98 racing in IMSA GTU, GTO, and GTP, followed by eight years as race team manager racing in IMSA GTP and then CART Champ Cars.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(East coaster @ May 6 2006, 03:56 AM) *

DD........NGATs mean anything to you??

I know the acronym from somewhere work-related, but I can't remember exactly where right now.

--DD
cbenitah
I am in school for advertising/graphic design, so in a year I'd need help getting my VISA cleared hint hint..

But I also coach hockey so if want your kid to play in the NHL give me a call laugh.gif
Brian Mifsud
I'm a Mechanical Engineer who worked 15 years in design and manufatcturing of Electronics Packaging, Scientific Instruments, and some Medical Instruments.

Now I manage and design Gigantamuntus Machines for mass producing 23 billion feet per year (plastics) of irrigation drip tubing.

I build and repair wooden boats and their engines on the side and am gearing up for my own business in design and production of marine fittings (Bronze and Stainless).

I also consult.
porschecb
General manager: Commerical Two Way Radios. Retail & Wholesale. No helmet stuff sorry.
marks914
I pay for my car habits by desigining cars and trucks at DaimlerChrysler.

So its cars basically from when I get up to when I go to bed.

Sometimes I get sick of cars, but only after a bad day, but how bad can a day be of drawing cars?

Yes we still draw with pencils and make clay models by hand.

Mark
okieflyr
My car habit is supported by my understanding wife, and my occupation as a Prosthetist (artificial limbs). Upper extremity myo electric systems are my specialty.
bernbomb914
30 years a Real estate Broker in Temecula Valley, Its been good to me

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.