Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did I mount my pump correctly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Mounted the pump today. Is this the right spot? I judged by pictures I've seen but I also read your pump needs to be lower than the tank (?).
Is that even the right filter to use? This is what they recommened at Napa.
I put some gas in and ran the pump and there was no leaking anywhere. so just making sure, did I get everything right?
Dave_Darling
If you have carbs, that filter is OK. If you have fuel injection, that filter is not. It is not made for high pressure and flow, and will either clog up quickly or burst. Not happy, as you can imagine.

The location is OK as well. That is more or less in the factory location, which worked pretty decently.

(Looks like someone got a little bit POR-15-happy!!)

--DD
Hammy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 5 2006, 09:02 PM) *

If you have carbs, that filter is OK. If you have fuel injection, that filter is not. It is not made for high pressure and flow, and will either clog up quickly or burst. Not happy, as you can imagine.

The location is OK as well. That is more or less in the factory location, which worked pretty decently.

--DD

Thanks Dave. Yes it's for carbs.

Yeah I definitely went AWOL with Por-15. biggrin.gif planning on making it a daily driver/rain car... ph34r.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 5 2006, 10:05 PM) *

--DD

Yeah I definitely went AWOL with Por-15. biggrin.gif planning on making it a daily driver/rain car... ph34r.gif

What kind of pump are you using there Zack?
Aaron Cox
CB rotary?

are those "pushers" or "pullers" ?

why not mount it up front ? smile.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(Gint @ May 5 2006, 09:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ May 5 2006, 10:05 PM) *

--DD

What kind of pump are you using there Zack?

No idea. Came with the car with carbs.

Does it look fishy? confused24.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 5 2006, 10:42 PM) *

No idea. Came with the car with carbs.

Does it look fishy? confused24.gif

Not at all. It needs to be a low pressure pump for carbs though.

No, I asked because I need to replace the POS facet pump on my carb'd 914.
Hammy
Oh I see biggrin.gif I know there's a part number on it, I can look it up if you want.

I didn't mount it up front because I wasn't sure if I could with this type of pump. (?) I figured if there was a mistake to be made, I would make it.

Also, another fuel question. What exactly is a fuel pressure regulator and what does it do? Ok, obviously it must regulate fuel pressure rolleyes.gif . But can someone elaborate? There is/was one hooked up to the fuel line on my car. It looks exactly like THIS .

So... what is it and is it needed for carbs?

help a newb. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
Well it is a fuel reg. It is suppose to keep your preasure constant at around 3 1/2

psi. When you turn on your head lamps your pump will slow a bit, at idle it will

slow a bit but when you are freeway flying it will run a little faster. so duering

veriations it was designed to keep the fuel preasure constant. Yes it will be great

for carbs. smoke.gif
MarkV
Looks like the same CB rotary pump that I have. It has an internal regulator so you don't need another one. The nice thing about where you have it mounted is that you can use the factory pump wires & relay to power it. There is a write up in the classic section on how to jumper relay board.

agree.gif You might want to run a different fuel filter. Those clear plastic ones look fragile to me.

rhodyguy
a little dif appearance wise as compared to my cb. i use a stock fi filter. untimately i lowered mine a bit from the picture to ensure i was lower than the tank outlet. cb are better pushers than pullers. let gravity help from the tank to the pump. you can make a little harness that contects to the stock f.p. wiring and then use andy's method of powering the pump (it will have its own relay and fuse). it solved a fuse issue that plagued me when i was pulling keyed power from the interior fuse panel.

k
Aaron Cox
kevin, why the inline valve?
rhodyguy
i don't have to clamp the fuel line to change the filter. the pump inlet is lower than the tank outlet. if the valve is closed, and the car is unattended for some time, the thief will never get the car to move under it's own power.

k
Hammy
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone.

Do you think I'll have pump problems because of where it's attached?
I only put in about a half gallon of gas in the tank to test it, and it pumped it dry...
rhodyguy
i think it will be ok? did your pump come with the little metal canister that looks like a filter, like mine has?

k
Hammy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 6 2006, 02:16 PM) *

i think it will be ok? did your pump come with the little metal canister that looks like a filter, like mine has?

k

No.
Andyrew
You'll be fine zack.

If thats an old filter. get a vw stock filter from the place on mchenry. white square thing...
Hammy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 6 2006, 02:35 PM) *

You'll be fine zack.

If thats an old filter. get a vw stock filter from the place on mchenry. white square thing...

what place? what part of McHenry?
Andyrew
Vw place. near the elks lodge, right by a cleaners place. down mchenry (going south) on the right.

small place.

but you'll find odds and ends there.

Andrew
rhodyguy
a pretty good oldie.
jeffdon
I have one of these, its always been in the engine comp. right over the pass. side hell hole. Think i may move it down to the lower firewall, looks like a cleaner install.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.