Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: minneapolis gathering REDUX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
so i'm tearing apart my guage console because apparently i'm a masochist, and i get a call with a friendly voice looking for a destination... it's bill! he has his 914 SUPERCAR on the road and heading my way.

schweet!

Click to view attachment
if you can't tell by the pics, that body looks so perfect it defies explanation. not only is the fabricating great, but imho, the scale and lines look like the factory engineered it.

that's dave-o's yellow car, which is also an extremely cool ride, and mine's in the barn on jackstands... sad.gif

Click to view attachment
... so what better thing to do than get out the phone list and find another destination. we decended on imchappy's to get a look at his work in progress, a 914gt. he'll be done soon and check out his custom valance. he's integrated some gt-40 replica scoops for brake cooling and i think there's another thread around with a little more details on that.

Click to view attachment

that's as cool as the spring night's air in minnesota.
thanks for looking. pfb
DNHunt
Ok, who's who here? Who is holding the beer and which car is his? Who's holding the valance? It's fun to put faces with the names.

Dave
BigDBass
Thanks for posting pics. Glad to see the Bill's and Dave-O's cars. (My car is now 95% dry after that blasted weather.)
lotus_65
the fellow with the beer's name is jason. he is not a car guy at all, but a former co-worker of mine.

imchappy is displaying his valance in the last shot.

paul
iamchappy
Bills planning on raiding my new parts stash, so now I have to think about stepping up security around here.
lotus_65
fyi, bill's not the only one, pally... smile.gif

ph34r.gif i covet the silver crest...
wbergtho
It was a fun little "spur of the moment 914 fling thing". I suggest we don't plan another one and get together again some day.

Bill

PS Hey Chappy...you gonna have to replace your poodle for a Rottweiler to keep me out of your garage!
iamchappy
OH OH, remember I know were you live.

I just took a look at a 914 for sale down the block from me 700.00 or best offer.
74 2.0 with very few good parts, I was thinking of buying it for Oliver but it's such a pile.
the good 2.0 engine looks to have the all the fuel injection parts but was converted to a single carb. Nice condition factory mirror, Riviara's with the spare. car comes with optional Dcon rodent killer boxes everywhere door gaps about 1 inch.
Looks to me like a 200 car thats unrestorable.
lotus_65
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 6 2006, 10:14 AM) *

OH OH, remember I know were you live.

I just took a look at a 914 for sale down the block from me 700.00 or best offer.
74 2.0 with very few good parts, I was thinking of buying it for Oliver but it's such a pile.
the good 2.0 engine looks to have the all the fuel injection parts but was converted to a single carb. Nice condition factory mirror, Riviara's with the spare. car comes with optional Dcon rodent killer boxes everywhere door gaps about 1 inch.
Looks to me like a 200 car thats unrestorable.

... so whatchya gonna do?
if you get it and revert it to fi, i'd be interested in maybe buying the carb from you.
iamchappy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 6 2006, 08:12 AM) *

It was a fun little "spur of the moment 914 fling thing". I suggest we don't plan another one and get together again some day.

Bill

PS Hey Chappy...you gonna have to replace your poodle for a Rottweiler to keep me out of your garage!

Poodle not...She's an Irish Water Spaniel AKA (Rat Tail) and you wont find a tougher waterfowl dog, they were breed to hunt in the North Sea will do underwater retrieves as deep as 12ft. and can tolerate cold water better than any dog. Back in 1860 they breed them along with the Chesapeake trying to create the best waterfowl hunting dog now known as the American Water Spaniel, bred right there in Wisconsin during the Civil War.
iamchappy
Rat Tail
Dave-O
Looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for letting my 914 "play" for the day...too bad I couln't make it myself. One of these days I'll actually be around when when you guys stop by!
BigDBass
Huh? Dave-O's car was there but Dave-O wasn't?
wbergtho
Chappy,

Sorry about the dog remark. I was only kidding...(about the dog thing...not about coming over in the middle of the night and taking the calipers off your car).

Bill
iamchappy
Just looking for an opportunity to educate you. If you cant tell I really like my dog.
rick 918-S
Hey guy! Great to see some enthusiasum. Sandy and I were in Hastings yesterday picking up her new summer car. It's not a 914, and it's not ready to drive.... You guy's need to take a road trip this summer. I'm going to mee some help. Sandy just added another project to my list of things to do.

Chappys dog is very fond of him as well. And his gloves. He told me she likes to steal all the gloves in the nieghborhood and bury them in the garden. w00t.gif

DaveO, Looking good!

Bill, Hows the tranaxle, clutch, ect. now. We need a report.

Lotus 65, This ones for you! Taken at the Historics at Maza Raceway.
wbergtho
Well...I had a great time with Paul & Chappy...and as my luck would have it, I did indeed have some trouble with my clutch releasing properly. I think this pic pretty well sums up everything. mad.gif

Bill
lotus_65

ouch, man... what's the diagnosis, doctor?
wbergtho
Hey Paul,

I had even more trouble on the way home from Chappy's. I was finding it nearly impossible to release the disc all the way and I decided to take the trans off and investigate things. By the way, I have had too much practice taking that stupid thing on/off! I believe it has a toasted guide tube & T.O. bearing. I think it happened as a result of me trying to drive the car with a bit of preload on the T.O. bearing while still using my old cable. i put maybe 200-300 miles on it this way and apparently caused a very accelerated wear situation on these parts. I learned a few other tricks over the last 2 days...so that hopefully I have this problem solved. Now that it is hydraulically actuated...I have to be mindful of allowing a bit of free play at the slave so there is no further preload on the T.O. bearing. A better synthetic grease is also a must. I should have it back together by next weekend. Remember when i was talking about how often my car is broken and sitting on jack stands? This was yet another "speed bump" I have encountered in trying to get this car set up and as reliable as possible. I had better get this under control if i plan on a road trip to PDX!

Bill biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.