Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT was the FIRST F-1 pace car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
As part of the F-1 tech segment they covered the pace car and showed the first ones that were used. They filled the front trunk with rescue tools and the rear one with a huge fire system. Showed some good footage at several races too. It was a far cry from the AMG that is used today, for sure.
North Bay 914
Here's one at the Nurburgring...
Air_Cooled_Nut
Can anyone capture the video? I can put it with the other 914 stuff I have on my web server.
Gustl
the car you're talking about wasn't a pace car, it was the first ONS security car

they used 914.1.43.0140 (the '71 Monte Carlo car #17 (S - Y 7715)

it's first use was at the '71 GP of Germany

here's another pic

IPB Image

also available from Schuco 1/66

IPB Image

and one of the coolest shots, IMHO

North Bay 914
If you watched the program you would have seen the 914-2.0 US spec Pace Car. I would guess this was at Watkins Glen, or another US F1 race. I took this photo from my TV.

THANK GOD FOR TIVO!!!
flipb
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ May 6 2006, 04:16 PM) *

If you watched the program you would have seen the 914-2.0 US spec Pace Car. I would guess this was at Watkins Glen, or another US F1 race. I took this photo from my TV.

THANK GOD FOR TIVO!!!

I've read that the first F1 pace car (ever) was a 914, at the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix (source).

Is that the race pictured above?

If so, any idea what became of that 914?

(Tried Search, this thread was the best I could find.)
THE STIG
I remember seeing it listed on the net for sale, completly original for a huge amount of money about the same time as this thread was started. I used to have a photo saved of the engine for reference (completely original with all the correct hose colors and stickers etc), but was lost when my computer crashed a while back, and do not know what happened after that. Someone here I am sure does know. Seems like the place selling the car was on the East coast, and Mark Donahue was given the car as a gift, possibly for winning some race.
carr914
The Donahue & the F-1 Pace Car were Two Different cars - Yes the Donahue car went for Good $$

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Here's another picture of the 914 rescue car, along with the other cars used...not sure if this is from F1 or sportscar racing though.

Dig those fender-mounted mirrors!
BTW: I like this picture because I have a Mercedes W114 like the one in the 2nd row too.
VegasRacer
Here are a couple of vintage photos I had not seen before of the Pace Car / Rescue 914's.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I was at the Ring in 1971 for the German GP. There was a lot going on but I do not remember seeing the 914GT. Could have been the beer and the women!!!!
KELTY360
I took this picture of a '73 2.0 that was used as pace car at Riverside during the first IROC series when they ran 911s.

Click to view attachment
dlestep
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 6 2015, 11:17 PM) *

I was at the Ring in 1971 for the German GP. There was a lot going on but I do not remember seeing the 914GT. Could have been the beer and the women!!!!

I too, was there with the VW Squareback at the Karussell "gooseneck."
I also, don't remember the 914. They ran all of the different classes of races prior to Jackie Stewart appearing and then disappearing in a blue flash.
I lived near Heidelberg at the time.
Maltese Falcon
great pics +story...never knew this
Thanks for posting aktion035.gif
Marty
OllieG
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 6 2006, 07:04 PM) *

the car you're talking about wasn't a pace car, it was the first ONS security car

they used 914.1.43.0140 (the '71 Monte Carlo car #17 (S - Y 7715)

it's first use was at the '71 GP of Germany

here's another pic

IPB Image

also available from Schuco 1/66

IPB Image

and one of the coolest shots, IMHO

So that one was the ex-Ake Andersson car Wolfgang?…is it still owned by Jay Kay? Or is there more to the story?

IPB Image
TJB/914
FYI driving.gif
Tom
Gustl
QUOTE(OllieG @ Mar 7 2015, 01:04 PM) *
So that one was the ex-Ake Andersson car Wolfgang?
yes

…is it still owned by Jay Kay?
no

Or is there more to the story?
yes ... but I'm not allowed to talk about it ... unsure.gif

racerbvd
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 17 2011, 07:34 AM) *

Here's another picture of the 914 rescue car, along with the other cars used...not sure if this is from F1 or sportscar racing though.

Dig those fender-mounted mirrors!
BTW: I like this picture because I have a Mercedes W114 like the one in the 2nd row too.

I'm still kicking myself in the head for selling my NOS Talbots, after the early 911 I was going to use them on dissapeared, I didn't even think about using them on my GT clone, until AFTER I let them go headbang.gif headbang.gif Click to view attachment
OllieG
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 7 2015, 06:38 PM) *

So that one was the ex-Ake Andersson car Wolfgang?
yes

…is it still owned by Jay Kay?
no

Or is there more to the story?
yes ... but I'm not allowed to talk about it ... unsure.gif

Intriguing!!!..I think I remember seeing it for sale by Maxted-Page a few months back...come on Wolfgang, 'spill the beans'! biggrin.gif
Gustl
I'm pretty sure the new owner will go public, when the time is right ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.