Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas gauge/sender gremlin....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
OK....so mine goes no higher than the 1/2 mark. It will start to drop once the tank is half full and register empty and the low fuel light comes on when the tank corresponds to that which is on the gauge.....

I have swapped senders AND gauges. I have pulled the sender from the tank and turned it upside down and observed the gauge go to FULL.......once the sender is in, bolted down, fill the tank....1/2 mark and no more.....

WTF.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Which car? Sender and gauge match? The Cap'n
Joe Bob
911....everything is compatible. Stock SC gauges.
Cap'n Krusty
Did ya ever think about why stuff happens to your cars that NEVER happens to anybody else's cars? Check power and ground, take the sender out and test it with the gauge still in the car. If it works that way, make sure there's not something in the tank making it send the wrong signal, and make sure the ports in the tube are unobstructed. If you still can't make it work, then it's YOU. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
It's definitely me....cause I didz all dat.....

Anyways...I figured out why it wouldn't shut when the key was turned off....THAT only took 4 months. DME and the fuel pump were wired on the same fused circuit.....worked fine for three plus years.....then....didn't. WTF?
Spoke
When I bought my 71, the sender was gummed up at 1/4 full and would not move. After dissassembly, cleaning, and some rust removal on the main shaft, the sender worked but many times would hang up during operation.

After removing and turning it upside down, allow the float to go all the way from empty to full, but when in an upright position in the tank, and when filling the tank, the float would stick at about 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty, depending upon your orientation), and may release when I hit a bump and go to full.

After many dissassemblies and filing down the main shaft several times, I finally got the sender to operate as desired.

Spoke
Joe Bob
yeah...but TWO senders doing the same thing?
736conver
QUOTE((*)(*) @ May 6 2006, 08:01 PM) *

yeah...but TWO senders doing the same thing?

Did you clean the contacts on the sender plug, Female side.

I just ran into this with two 914 senders. Took both of them apart, cleaned them and still got the same bad readings. Clean the sender conection and it works great. Just something else to try if you havent.

markb
Ya gots too much fiberglass on da car. It don't ground no mo.

poke.gif
SirAndy
are you sure you filled it up with gas all the way?

biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.