Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Bar Pad Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
OK, now that the rear glass is back in the car, today I made my first attempt to reinstall the targa bar pad. Didn't go too well. I had previously bolted the locking clamps into place and they presented a real obstacle to placing the targa bar pad properly. One, it takes two guys and you must try to wiggle and twist the pad around the handle and hardware. In the process I scraped the fresh paint off the hardware in the pad where the hooks pass thru - these had faded to a dull metallic from years of sun. But, if I remove the hardware it appears damn near impossible to put the clamps in place after the pad is screwed onto the car. Guys - Craig at Camp 914 - someone must have done this a million times? WHAT IS THE CORRECT PROCEDURE??? headbang.gif
markb
I'm glad you asked this. I'm ready to put mine back in, too.

popcorn[1].gif
Doug Leggins
I had to remove the 2 latch covers from the targa pad. Also had to remove the top seat belt bolts and interior pillar covers. I was able to leave both latches bolted to the targa bar.

Getting the latch covers installed after the pad is in place is a bit difficult due to the 2 screw holes being located in hard to reach places. A little trick that I used was to use a small amount of tape to hold the screw onto the screwdriver. Just enough tape around the perimeter of the screw head to hold it onto the screwdriver shaft until the screw can be started. then pull the screwdriver away and the tape will stay on the screwdriver and the screw will stay in place.
william harris
Doug you must have magic fingers, those little screws are so far inside the pad. The top seat belt bolts and sail panel covers are already out of the car. I think this will work better with two sets of hands. Paging Eric Sanders, paging Eric Sanders, please come to the courtesy phone in concours 914. type.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(william harris @ May 6 2006, 06:52 PM) *

OK, now that the rear glass is back in the car, today I made my first attempt to reinstall the targa bar pad. Didn't go too well. I had previously bolted the locking clamps into place and they presented a real obstacle to placing the targa bar pad properly. One, it takes two guys and you must try to wiggle and twist the pad around the handle and hardware. In the process I scraped the fresh paint off the hardware in the pad where the hooks pass thru - these had faded to a dull metallic from years of sun. But, if I remove the hardware it appears damn near impossible to put the clamps in place after the pad is screwed onto the car. Guys - Craig at Camp 914 - someone must have done this a million times? WHAT IS THE CORRECT PROCEDURE??? headbang.gif

I asked this same question a month ago when I was "trying" to reassemble my car after a paint job--unfortunatlely nobody responded. confused24.gif

I suggest getting away from the car for a few hours, take a walk on the beach, drink a 6 pack of beer beer3.gif, enlist a friend, and then go for it!
boxstr
The pad will go in only if you remove the latch covers. Yes they will go back in when the latches are in place, and it will take a long thin screwdriver . It is not easy and it requires alot of moving th elatches up an ddowen to get the screws just right. It can be done.
CCLINTARGABARPADRALLY
william harris
OK. here is the procedure I will use and I will post pictures as it goes back together. Bolt latches back into car, remove guides from targa bar pad and install pad, then get that long thin screw driver and reinstall the guides. Well lets see how it goes. Stayed tuned for the next installment. ar15.gif
william harris
Doug and guys: Spoke with Craig at Camp 914 and he also said to remove the guides. So away we go. Hopefully will be done this week. ar15.gif
jk76.914
Well, did it work? I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get mine together without removing the guides- to no avail.

So I looked it up in the Forums. Next step, after I finish my 6-pack, is to remove the guides and try again, but I was hoping to hear how you guys made out.

I have both early metal and late plastic guides. I was going to use the metal ones. Any inputs on which is easier to install?

thanks,
Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.