Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me get out of a traffic ticket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dead Air
So about 11 am a few weeks ago and I'm going through this intersection:

Sheridan & shimerville

I was headed west traveling at or just under the posted speed limit of 45 MPH, there was a State Trooper in a LARGE Chevy Tahoe sitting on the south side of the intersection headed north at a stop light. At the "stop line" next to the large white triangle. As you can see from the photo, there were no obstructions between him and me, I saw him sitting there as I approached the intersection. We were the only cars at the intersection at the time. My light turned yellow and I drove through it, decelerating slightly, looking up through my windshield the last thing I saw was a yellow light.
According to NYS traffic law, the driver is allowed to "enter" the intersection with a yellow light. The intersection is defined by the large white "stop lines".
I timed the duration of the yellow light several times and the average time was 4.10 seconds. Checking the angle of my eyesight through the windshield would put the front of my truck just about two feet behind the stop line in my lane.
Check my math:
40 MPH x 5280ft / 60 min / 60 sec x 4.10 = 240.5 feet
I suppose I could subtract something for reaction time.
How quickly do you suppose my old ('86) Toyota 4x4 truck should be able stop without going into panic mode?
Consider also the fact that the trooper would have to be looking at the side of my traffic signal (with some morning sun glare on it) and the location of my vehicle at the same time.
I think he pulled me over 'cause my truck is a little ratty looking and he was hoping to get a safety/inspection/registration/insurance type of infraction.
wbergtho
Sounds like you ran into a cop who fits into the stereotypical "cop mentality". Even though you are probably right on this one, it is usually pretty difficult to pry the judge's respect and commitment from the cop to yourself. Judges almost always side with their "beloved cops" unless you can provide very convincing testimony that will bolster your case. If it is one of those situations where it is your word against the cop...you stand about a 1% chance of winning in court.

I would get the police report that accompanies this ticket and see exactly how far the dickweed cop embellishes his version of events and make a judgement call on whether to fight it or not.

One more thing to think about. In MN, the court will in many cases, allow a "continuance for dismissal". It may be referred to differently in NY. Basically you ask the city/district attorney for the chance to pay a fine (usually about ticket face value) and agree to not make any same or similar moving violations w/in 12 months and this ticket vanishes off the record books. Of course, if you go and get another ticket and lose...your old one comes back to roost. I have kept my driving record pretty clean by paying their "corruption" money. Usually that's all they care about anyway.

Bill
tat2dphreak
yea, you can fight it, bbut you'll spend more time and energy in futility than you would just taking def. driving...

I had a similar thing the other day... cop said I was doing 30 in a 25... not worth fighting
ptravnic
That blows. in collvege, I got a ticket for running a red light on my bicycle. The make of the vehicle on the ticket was "Trek". I went to court and paid there silly fee but the points did not go on the license. If you can give them your computations and aerial photos they'll prob back down on the points, but the blood $ is theirs.

BTW, I'll be in Buffalo (Amherst) w/my pops next weekend. Maybe this is the trip where we meet up?

-pt
dlo914
i heard if you get to know the clerks at the Court, they could decrease the fine or mebbe even rid of the traffic citation all together. smile.gif
turboman808
NY is a weird place.

I decieded not to fight a speeding ticket because well I was speeding so whatever I plead guilty.

Little did I know they have hundreds of dollars in fees they are gonna stick me with. $90 ticket. After pleading guilty I got to pay $540. NY is just out to screw you and you can't do a thing to stop them. So I am moving to jersey biggrin.gif

Now out on LI they are alot more forgiving as long as it's not a state trooper. The towns just want money and they will drop everything for a few bones.

I also got a muffler ticket. I still have numbers on my car as you can see in my avatar. Cop basicaly harrased me! Pulled me over searched my car found nothing and had nothing on me. Finaly gave me a ticket for a loud exhaust because he had nothing else to ticket me for. Needless to say I actualy yelled at the guy. I was pretty pisses.

They gave me a fix it ticket. I found out from others I can show up with a fake receipt from a auto shop saying it's fixed. At no point do they test anything. My car is no louder then a new mustang. I'm just mad that I have to go to court.
Dead Air
Well,
Traffic court is tomorrow, On my Birthday!!
I'll ask for dismissal and go from there.
Yes, I'll be around this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.