Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 transaxle experts out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I have less than a 1000 miles on a new 930 box and clutch. The T.O. bearing seems dry and toasty and the guide tube looks well worn and "lumpy" on one side only. I may have had preload on the T.O. bearing when i first set the trans up and drove 200-300 miles. I eventually went to a hydraulic clutch and allowed a small air gap @ the slave to prevent preloading the T.O bearing. It apparently doesn't take long to toast these parts. I'm hoping my box is still fine.

Anyone with any experience (good/bad)...please chime in. For now, I believe I will replace these parts...cross my fingers...and reassemble. This is becoming such a pain in the ass...that I'm no longer having any f--- smash.gif dry.gif ing fun with this car. It's just a dreaded feeling to drive it...knowing that I'll be putting it up on jack stands to repair and spend more godamn money!

Bill
Brad Roberts
Your picture sucks. LOL

I see NO grease on it (you could have cleaned it off before crappy pic)

Also: Replace that piece EVERY TIME you do a clutch job.

I use a high temp wheel bearing grease (syn) and put some in the inside of the TO bearing and some on the guide tube.

FYI: replace the "fork" also. BUT>> look at the one you pull off. They have to be clearanced before you install the new one.

All of these are wear items that should be replaced during every clutch job.. and typically people cheap out and dont do it, or dont know that they should be replaced.

B
drive-ability
QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 7 2006, 07:20 AM) *

I have less than a 1000 miles on a new 930 box and clutch. The T.O. bearing seems dry and toasty and the guide tube looks well worn and "lumpy" on one side only. I may have had preload on the T.O. bearing when i first set the trans up and drove 200-300 miles. I eventually went to a hydraulic clutch and allowed a small air gap @ the slave to prevent preloading the T.O bearing. It apparently doesn't take long to toast these parts. I'm hoping my box is still fine.

Anyone with any experience (good/bad)...please chime in. For now, I believe I will replace these parts...cross my fingers...and reassemble. This is becoming such a pain in the ass...that I'm no longer having any f--- smash.gif dry.gif ing fun with this car. It's just a dreaded feeling to drive it...knowing that I'll be putting it up on jack stands to repair and spend more godamn money!

Bill

Bill,
I went through a similar situation, I too preloaded the T/O bearing for a time and did some damage to my guide tube. I think having the pre-load held the T/O against the guide tube and caused the marks. The key is free-play, once I gained some things seem to be working well. Consider your self a bit lucky, before I learned I trashed the thrust bearing in my engine. I had to do a lower-end rebuild before addressing the clutch issue. I also set up some springs to help keep everything balanced concerning the clutch fork.
One spring keeps the free-play gap when the clutch is engaged and the other balances the weight of the heavier fork body and slave system. I also make sure the clutch pedal is held away from applying any pressure on the system at rest. I've felt your pain smash.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.