Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 four install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-greggers
i am re-installing a 2.0 four from a late 75 car and want to install my 40 idf webers on the new motor, which has fuel injection....i am also installing an external oil cooler...mounted in the engine bay.....any tips i should consider...such as the cam, will i need to change it?? the old motor has mech advance, new motor has vacuum advance...which is better?
Joe Bob
many threads on carbs versus FI...do a search.

Short answer is no power gain, less gas mpg, sounds cool, cleans up engine bay....stock cam is DESIGNED for FI...no overlap and will need to be changed if you want more hp....

Oil cooler....most people use an adapter plate between the stock oil filter and the case....lines run off of that to the cooler.
pete-stevers
i tried to talk him into doing a six.....but he jsut got married.....and is reprioritizing his priorities.....so he got my the 2.0 out of my car....now we have two 914s on jackstands...yippie
rhodyguy
you"ll need a different fuel pump. do you have a complete carb setup ready to go? why are you putting on a cooler? we really don't need them here. esp on a stockish engine. steve's car ran well going to whistler. run it as is. you can put the carbs on with the engine in if you still want to later. not that big of a deal.

k
pete-greggers
the car is set up for carbs,and was running on carbs when i took the old 2.0 out....so i have all the stuff already.....just need to swap it over....will the stock cam work ok? what about the vacuum advance verses the mech advance....
Mueller
QUOTE(pete-greggers @ May 7 2006, 02:36 PM) *

the car is set up for carbs,and was running on carbs when i took the old 2.0 out....so i have all the stuff already.....just need to swap it over....will the stock cam work ok? what about the vacuum advance verses the mech advance....

the stock cam WILL work, it's just that a different cam would be much, much better, but hey, a running 914 is better than one just sitting around collecting dust smile.gif

what kind of mech. advance distributor is it?

some have a too limited range and are not suited for an automotive application.

pete-greggers
I was not aware there were different kinds of mech. advance. I just know there that it is not a vacumme advance because the vac. advance is not sitting on the side of the old distributor and there is one on the new motor. witch one do I use?
davep
Stock distributors have mechanical advance along with vacuum advance and retard. In some cases the vacuum retard was not used, 1974 up IIRC. The vacuum chamber has two fittings, one for each section. Non-stock distributors usually don't have the vacuum pot, and don't usually have the best of mechanical advance curves.
pete-greggers
So my best bet is to run the vac. advance. Hummm now what do I do with the old 2.0?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.