Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Stabilizer Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cassidy_bolger
My rear factory stabilizer bar has popped out of its socket on one side. Forgive me if those are the wrong terms - but I hope people know what I mean. I have had my car only a week or so and don't know my way around it too well yet.

Here's what happend: My driveway is steep, so I am taking it at a slight angle to avoid destroying the LE spoiler up front. Just now, as I slowly pulled in turning right, in the right rear made a suspension grind kind of noise. I stuck my head under the back and saw a shiny ball! The other side looks to be intact. The car has 140lb springs and Bilsteins that were installed 50K mi. ago.

Can I just jack the thing up and pop the bar back into place? Did this happen because of the stiff suspension?

Other than this, I have been having a blast with the new car.
Trekkor
rear sway bar.

Use huge channel locks to snap it back on.
If it keeps popping out you might need to replace the bushings.

KT
Dave_Darling
You can just jack the thing up and pop it back on. On my car, it takes a clamp; I cannot just squeeze it on with a pair of channel-locks or whatever. And most certainly not by hand!!

You may have to jack up the whole back of the car and use a jack to raise one trailing arm or the other to get the ball and socket to line up nicely.

My first guess as to why the drop-link came off is that the bushings are old and tired. Putting new bushings in the drop-link is a major pain in the butt. I wound up using a vise, some screwdrivers, I think a socket or two, and a lot of swear-words.

--DD
cassidy_bolger
Thanks, I'll go give it a whirl.

cassidy_bolger
Thanks guys.

The bushing disintigrated into my hand.

(4) new ones on order.
blitZ
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ May 7 2006, 08:21 PM) *

Thanks guys.

The bushing disintigrated into my hand.

(4) new ones on order.

Stick them in a cup of water and microwave for a minute, they will soften a bit and make installation easier.
john rogers
If the trailing arm moved enough to pop the sway bar off, even with a bad bushing, you might want to look closely at the swing arm bushings as they might be in the same boat, that is bad shape too?!
Tobra
Remove old bushings, paint end links, heat bushings in water to soften and use vise to get them started, mallet to pop them in. I used a gear puller with a sacagewea dollar piece to protect the bushing. There is a little dimple on the end of the sway bar for the threaded part of the puller, used dollar piece to put the hooks on, for the bottom on the shock, used the dollar piece to protect the bushing from the threaded part, and put the hooks on the little tabs that stick out from the ball at the bottom of the shock
watsonrx13
Here's a link to my website that shows how I installed new bushings in the rear sway bar.

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
OH OH I know this one..

Crap, Rob beat me to it.

Rob you are makin me proud son.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.