Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Fuels in 411 motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
Anyone else thinkning the same thing as me while watching 60Minutes segment on Alternate fuels and E85?

They said you can take any car and convert with some new parts and an expert mechanic's help?

I've done some Googling on this...
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

PRO's and CON's? unsure.gif
Ctrout
I have been thinking about this lately as well. Even asked some questions here as well. The conclusion that I came to is that right now it really wouldn't be worth it for me because the only E85 gas I can find is 50 miles from where I live. Also, from what I have read, although E85 is marginally cheaper than regular fuel, the energy output is also lower so by the time you take into consideration the drop in mileage with E85, any cost savings would be insignificant or non existant. Not to mention the fact that if the Government terminates the funding for E85, the price will rise making it at least as costly as regular gasoline. Once you have raised the compression of your engine to be able to use E85, you'll be forced to use it or some other high octane fuel and if E85 cost rises, now you are buying a pricier fuel that gives poorer economy. A lose-lose situation for you.
Mueller
do a search here, there was a thread about this a few weeks ago.....it can be done, but not easy or cheap.....
thewheel69
The guy in the 60 minutes piece said they expected the amount of gas stations that sold it to be sufficiant coverage for most metropolitin areas within two years...

There is also an electric conversion kit out there as well... I think I'm going screwy.gif with these damn gas prices!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.