Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Semi OT: VW Squarebacks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Anyone know these well? The one I looked at just turned over 100k mi and was in fair shape. Drove really well, shifted great too. Little bits of DACO rust repairs, but not too bad.

I've never had a d-jet car, just l-jet. Just looking for a bit of cheap advise... driving-girl.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Love mine!
Best source of info: http://www.vwtype3.org/
(free email list, that is).
swood
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ May 7 2006, 06:09 PM) *

Love mine!
Best source of info: http://www.vwtype3.org/
(free email list, that is).

Wow Toby! That car is sweet! I may go for it and send the spare motor out to be rebuilt with more hp.

I will be asking you more questions. smile.gif
URY914
I've always wanted a notchback.

Lowered Cal-Looker happy11.gif
swood
This be da one. Maybe Joe Sharp can help me get 49 MPG outta this one. clap56.gif

Need to lower it a bit and get some AAron Fuchs on it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 7 2006, 06:55 PM) *

I've always wanted a notchback.

Lowered Cal-Looker happy11.gif

me too! with a 2.8L type 4!!!!
lapuwali
Mine is a '69, and now is the daily driver. It won't just won't die. They'll do 70mph all day long, but are a bit sensitive to crosswinds at those speeds. While you can stuff a lot into the back, I've been debating converting mine into a pickup...
swood
I'd love to see more T-4 conversions if there are any. I've got a spare 1.8 and a spare complete type 3 motor that could be morphed together somehow. I'm excited to finally drive an old air cooled car.
JoeSharp
I put over 300,000 miles on mine. Towed a catamaran all over. 4 engine rebuilds and 3 trannies. Mine was a 68 and I drove it to death and then sold it for $600.00.
I loved it. I took out the back seat and put in a bed and curtins all around. Drove it to Costa Rica and back.
My peraents had a 70 they put almost 200,00 miles on. It was an automatic tranny.
If I can help you I'll be glad to.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
swood
Thanks dude. That's very cool.
drewvw

that's a nice look squareback. I had one in college that I tore apart and put back together, never really ran though...

rhodyguy
get a set of fuch wheels for it. i loved my 72' fastback.

k
maf914
QUOTE(swood @ May 7 2006, 08:40 PM) *

I'd love to see more T-4 conversions if there are any. I've got a spare 1.8 and a spare complete type 3 motor that could be morphed together somehow. I'm excited to finally drive an old air cooled car.

I think T-3's are cool and that's a nice looking wagon. Go over to the ShopTalkForums. Lot's of T-4 conversions. I don't know what the preferred intake system is for a pancake configuration. Dual Webers on super short manifolds?
swood
Nope, djet FI.

I'm second guessing me buying this, just FYI if any locals want a look at it. It's listed on the Samba classifieds. $2800.

I'm going back to hem and haw a bit.
swood
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=310646

Here's the link in case anyone wants it.
rhodyguy
that's 914 money. smile.gif if you go back, pull up the rear seat bottom and look at the battery area. they can be ugly.

k
swood
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 8 2006, 03:12 PM) *

that's 914 money. smile.gif if you go back, pull up the rear seat bottom and look at the battery area. they can be ugly.

k

Sure is. I did pull up the seat and it wasn't bad at all. Just the original color (dark green) and a little dirty, but not rusty at all. I think it'd be a good deal for someone. Comes with a free (complete) motor (complete means with all the d-jet parts including the tps), a set of seats, door panel and d-jet tester.

wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(swood @ May 7 2006, 09:40 PM) *

Yeah, dropping in a T4 is nothing new. FI is the best way to go. Carbs can fit on short manifolds, just like carbing a T3 engine.

The automatic tranny is tough and a true automatic. Good units when kept maintained (just like most things). The Squarebacks can hold a good amount of cargo, particularly when you drop the rear seat. The Fastback and Notchback can't come close to that claim since their back seats don't drop at all sad.gif The model you are looking at is a late model and is more aerodynamic than the early model. Front disc brakes are stock. Those tail lights are European because US models got red tops (the turn signal). The car also has the side pop-out windows: The middle windows are 'hinged' at the front and there's another double-hinge at the rear that allows the rear of the window to...you guessed it...pop-out. You can tell by the chrome dot at the center rear of the middle window. The dash doesn't looked cracked which is a rare sight nowadays. From the pictures the car looks good. An engine shot would'be been nice. Rust will typically be found under the rockers, down in the back part of the fenders where all the mud and water can collect, around the headlight beauty rings, under the battery (just like 914's) but at least it's simple sheet metal, and at the back edge of the cargo area/engine lid as there is a lip there to hold the carpeting/cardboard and water can collect there.

I guess for California that price is decent, not knowing the condition of the car.
anthony
I put over 300,000 miles on mine. Towed a catamaran all over. 4 engine rebuilds and 3 trannies.

My dad bought one new in '72. We got 250,000 miles out of it on the original engine and tranny (3 clutches). And it still ran good when we got rid of it. The body was beat, it got a salvage title, and a new front clip.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.