Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice spring day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
mad.gif

These are the woes of a garage queen!

New battery! 70 degree day! Top comes off! Fire it up! Spews guts!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, my pristine 914, like a newborn baby, blew everything it could onto the garage floor before I could even get it out into the fresh air! Let it warm up after staring & within 15 seconds smelled fuel! Shut it down, found a clamp that had softened up over the winter & tightened it. Restart..........fine! No fuel leaks, but the garage floor was becoming Anwaar! Oil spewing everywhere on the drivers' side! Looks like it's coming from #1 cylinder, at the seal from the head & barrel.
I took the engine apart 10 years ago, to fid out how it worked. Could itbe that I didn't properly torque te heads? If so, why did it take 10 years to mainfest itself - have had a MINOR leak since. Now, it's a gusher! Bummer!

Before I R&R the unit, anyone know of a way to get to the crush sleeve between the cylinder heads & case without R&R'ing the motor. As I get older, it becomes more & more difficult to do these things!! Input please?

Cross post OK.

Looks like my season may be done before it started! Car ran great for 15 seconds!
JeffBowlsby
Engine should come out if its as you describe. Its too confined in there to make it easy to repair while installed. Sure its not just the pushrod tube seals gone bad?

We know you would feel better pulling the drive train and detailing anyway...
McMark
Oil should NOT be coming from between the cylinder and the head, ever. You'd hydrolock your engine if there was that much oil. If it's coming from the head side of the cylinder, it's more likely a pushrod tube seal. If one of those split it'll leak pretty good.

P.S. this is exactly why we avoided multiple forums. technically this is a garage type question since it has nothing to do with concours. the more forums we have the more we have to move stuff around because "it's in the wrong place" and the more whiners we have PMing us complaining about threads in the wrong forums and people posting BS like "take it to the garage". I'm not going to move this thread, but I couldn't resist taking the opportunity to try and explain our position.
dry.gif
tod914
Maybe the oil sender on the top? or the oil filler gasket.. (had that problem already and couldnt figure out why it leaked so much). Just a couple easy ones to check before you start pulling.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2006, 11:37 PM) *

P.S. this is exactly why we avoided multiple forums. technically this is a garage type question since it has nothing to do with concours. the more forums we have the more we have to move stuff around because "it's in the wrong place" and the more whiners we have PMing us complaining about threads in the wrong forums and people posting BS like "take it to the garage". I'm not going to move this thread, but I couldn't resist taking the opportunity to try and explain our position.
dry.gif

agree.gif i'm going to move this into the garage, where it belongs ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.