Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 275 HP and 280 ft/lbs of torque in an everyday sedan.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I got in trouble today, sold the Audi A4 and bought a tame little 275 hp AWD Mazda Speed 6 sedan. Mazda makes about 5000 of these sedans a year in one of their factories back in Japan.

....He he he he ....Talking about sleepers. ...or is it the 914 antichrist?
nebreitling
jesus grant... you don't have enough fast cars as is?

those are cool, have fun!!!
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 7 2006, 09:01 PM) *

jesus grant... you don't have enough fast cars as is?

those are cool, have fun!!!

Hey I have to drive 40 miles one direction over the hill each day to SF Bay Area. I have to keep things interesting. Sheilah wants the MX5 for summer driving so I wanted something that would be more fun than the A4.

Still hunting for a cheap and boring tow vehicle. dry.gif
turboman808
shoot I need to get something with 100hp for everyday so I can stay out of trouble.
rpmmaxxed
MORE PICS.
Twystd1
You are a sick man........

Perfect..!!

Twystd1
Tom Perso
I drove one of these a few months ago. The first time you get on it and get the boost full on... "HOLY SH!T" was the first thing to come out of my mouth.

They're scary fast.

Have fun, stay away from the PoPo...

Tom
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 7 2006, 09:20 PM) *

shoot I need to get something with 100hp for everyday so I can stay out of trouble.

My 914 has less than 100 HP. I can (and do!) get into trouble with it quite easily.

My CRX has just over 100 HP. I can also get into trouble quite easily with it...

Like with most things, it's the driver, not the car. biggrin.gif

--DD
yarin
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedan...a_mazdaspeed_6/

There's also a higher hood, which houses a duct channeling air to the intercooler of a turbocharged, direct-injection version of Mazda's 2.3-liter four producing 274 hp at 5500 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm. That's enough, according to Mazda, to propel the Mazdaspeed 6 from 0 to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds. (The Mazda 6 V-6 offers 220 hp and 192 lb-ft and took 7.1 seconds to hit 60 mph in our tests.) Direct injection improves low and midrange torque, allowing Mazda to forgo either a larger-displacement engine or a second turbo. "We aimed for the linearity and controllability of the BMW 330i," says program manager Seiichi Ohmoto. A new six-speed manual directs the engine's efforts to both axles via standard all-wheel drive with three torque-apportioning strategies: normal, sport, and snow. The driver is not able to choose these settings as in the Evo, and the microprocessors never send more than 50 percent of the torque to the rear.

MSRP $28K... buy an EVO or STi. Otherwise it sounds like a fun powerful car to cruise around in for those that don't want an overly styled aggresive jap rally car.
grantsfo
QUOTE(yarin @ May 8 2006, 09:31 AM) *

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedan...a_mazdaspeed_6/

MSRP $28K... buy an EVO or STi. Otherwise it sounds like a fun powerful car to cruise around in for those that don't want an overly styled aggresive jap rally car.

Bought my MS6 Grand Tour Edition with full leather power seats, Bose stereo with 6 player CD, climate control, LSD, Dynamic Stability control, traction control, ABS, side curtain airbags, heated seats and mirrors, tons of other options for $29K. Its a completely different car than an EVO or a STi. Sti and Evo are a lot more expensive too. I have driven an STi and its a more dedicated performance car with not much interior space. Being a big dude I really like the room in the MS6. I also wanted something that was easy to live with on long commutes and doesnt attract attention like boy racer Subi and Mitsu models. The MS6 is more like a cheap mans Audi S4.

The MS6 is still a relatively unknown car on the road so its fun suprising people in fast cars - Already had fun with an AMG Mercedes today as we entered an empty strech of highway from an on ramp. Factory claim of 6.2 second 0-60 is very very very conservative and is based with dynamic stability control (DSC) turned on - I'm pretty sure the car can easily do mid 5 second runs - several magazines testing the MS6 with DSC switched off have shown that to be true - on test shows 5.4 0-60. The MS6 does have a narrow power band that occurs between 3000 to 5800 RPMs which if not hit will slow the car down. Mazda is smart and they are selling this as a more subtle performance car for grownups. I certainly dont consider myself to be a "mature" car buyer, but I do appreciate understated design of this car.
Trekkor
I see this car coming to Santa Rosa.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.