Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny, shifting and shocks.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timberwolf177
Okay, the weather is finally getting nice and took the new teener out for a quick spin... It needs work.. thats what I get for 1000.00 bucks. But I knew this.

First.. tranny dose not like 4th gear.. only stays there if I hold it in place. Almost feels like its not quite ingauging all the way. 2nd grinds if revved to high, but double shifting does not help. Not sure if it's syncro or something else. Someone mentioned shift fork could be bent, but cant find one for sale.... any thoughts or help..

Second, I need to replace shift bushings.. its a 73... Is this fairly straight forward or is there any tricks to help.

and finally all the shocks need replacing. I noticed the rear looks like struts?? I thought they where supposed to be shocks? Maybe someone put on coil overs??? What is the standard config, and any tricks to this as well

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brad
headbang.gif
Dr Evil
welcome.png

Bushings - easy, sort of. They are straight forward, but tight to fit. McMark recommended boiling some water, removing from heat, and placing them in the water for 30s to soften them up and make them go in easier in another reacent thread.

Shocks - the rears are stock coil over set ups.

Shifting - replace the bushings first, check shifter adjustment, check that there are some conicle allen head screws in the shift rod in the end from the fire wall and at the shift coupler. If all of these things check out then you will likely need to tear into your tranny. We can help if you think that you can do it yourself. If not, I and maybe some members closer to you rebuild trannies fro low $$.
Twystd1
Hi Brad,

Me thinks you will get a lot of input on these questions..

Heres how I see it.

1) New shifter bushings throughout.

2) Adjust / repair linkage. (you may start here until bushings arrive)

3) Install new shocks. Of your choice.

That said. You should use the search function at the top of the screen.

try "shift bushings"

try "shocks"

try "clutch adjust"

You will have DAYS of reading to do. There is more info on this site for these questions than you can possibly imagine.

As far as if you have a bent shift fork???

No one can REALLY answer that exactly until you have you shift bushings in. And the shifter and possibly (probably) clutch adjusted.

The stuff you are asking about is all pretty simple stuff to do at home.

If you have the mechanical desire to do it.

There are threads here showing pictures of how to do all of these procedures in a step by step outline.......... Thats how I learned.

As far as shocks. Depends on how much bucks you got. Most guys here swear by Koni's or Bilstein.

I like Koni Adjustables. ($$)

Thats my take on your questions..

And know you found the best place on the planet to find your answers.

Twystd1
Dr Evil
Oh, and don't go buying parts until you are absoleutly sure that that is the cause (or as sure as you can be). A bent shift fork would be something to look for down the road. And if you still need one, which I doubt, look in the classifieds section and place a WTB add. They are prevalent and not expensive from most folks around here.
Dr Evil
Clayton, are you stalkng me? ph34r.gif
Twystd1
And if ya find ya need a shift fork... PM me.

I got one for ya..

They are big bucks from my personal stash. 0.00 dollars american. beerchug.gif

Twystd1
timberwolf177
That helps somewhat... It sounds like shift adjusting and bushings can be the cause of the tranny problems then??? good, cross the fingers.. I will start there. I am getting ready to order up shocks, brake parts and bushings.. and I should get road worthy.
Oh, is the front suspension struts???
Does anyone know what steering wheels fit.. I was looking at a grant steering wheel, but they said they only carry the adapter for the 914-6? Is the steering column different in the 6?
Dr Evil
Front is struts. 914/6 is different. All of the adjustment problems can cause what you are afraid of if left to go too long. Fingers crossed for you.
Twystd1
Yo,

The remarks I am about to make may NOT be correct....

So Here goes.

Me thinks you may need to do some more homework before buying ANYTHING for your teener.

I sense from the questions you are asking that you don't know a bunch about these cars.

I remember those das. It was kinda confusing for me too..

My point is this.

Like Mike said. I am wondering what you are doing buying parts for your car when you don't yet understand how your susupension or drivetrain works.

May I suggest the following. Don't buy shit for now if you can..

Give it a couple of days and do some more homework.

So you do it once... And do it right.

The crew has seen many fellas start on a buying bing and get ALL the wrong stuff for their end result.

Anyway... Thats my sniff...

or I could just be wrong...

you decide.

Pm me if you want.

We can have a phone conversation and I will help you through it if you choose.

With respect,
Twystd1
So.Cal.914
agree.gif
solex
I just replace every bushing. The biggest problem I had was with 4th and 5th gear, and alot of vibration.

The thing that made the biggest difference though for me was the tranny mounts. I replaced mine (they were cracked) with 911 sport mounts and the shifting is like new.

Dan
Dr Evil
Good point, Dan.
timberwolf177
I have not had a 914 before, but cars are nothing new to me. I have not been able to find a repair book localy, so I need to order one online.. Brakes are brakes and shocks are shocks.. just wanted to know if there was any tricks I might need. The tranny was my main concern.... Have not worked on to many.. always just replace when there is a problem. I thought of the tranny mounts, but mine seem stable... I remember a vw bug I had, that the mounts were bad and the gear always popped out., but since I am in there replacing stuff, my as well replace those too.
thanks for the help... keep you guys posted.
Brad
drewvw
this was already mentioned and I don't want to be a downer, but...popping out of gear can be a sign that the tranny is pretty worn.

Many vw owners used bungie cords to hold 4th in place....it works for awhile. Its a notorious symptom in vw trannies, don't know enough about the 901 to say the same.

hopefully you'll be fine....or fly Dr. Evil out there to work on it!
Always Looking
welcome.png

How about a few pics of the car - we all love those.

It sounds like you bought my car. I paid 1000, but had to tow it home. 1st car I ever really worked on. Replaced shift bushings (purchased bushing kit from Pelican Parts on web). That helped a lot, but the biggest improvement was from correcting errors from the previous owner ("PO"). He had the engine mount bar backwards and the shift linkage was hitting it - DOH!!

I then went on to shocks (Bilsteins HD) Huge improvement. Did this myself with loaner tools (ball joint seperator) from Kragen.

I just finished replacing front brakes.

STILL doesn't like 4th. I drive without it, but will end up tearing into the tranny at some point.

For reference, I picked up a Haynes manual and come here for help.

My point is this - no particular tricks, just takes some time and help from the board.

Good luck. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.