Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Term storage - what to do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I'm taking the plates and insurance off the 914 today. I can't afford to fix it all even just for it's annual state inspection. I can't sell it without loosing my shirt and shorts! Once I get the garage clean enough to walk around, I'll change the oil (which hasn't been done in quite a while - DACO). What else should I do?

The gas tank is 1/2 full- should it be drained?
Should I add all 9qts of oil or less?
Should the battery be removed or just disconnected?
tires are shot anyway (cracks etc), but is it better to have them full, over or under?
Anything that collects moisture inside the cabin? I've seem some products at various stores. Some to collect moisture some to collect smells.

What else?

Thanks,
givory
Will you be storing the car over the coming winter? ...heated or unheated? This would make a big difference to me as to how I would prep the car for LT storage.
Gavin
djm914-6
QUOTE(givory @ May 8 2006, 10:36 AM) *

Will you be storing the car over the coming winter? ...heated or unheated? This would make a big difference to me as to how I would prep the car for LT storage.
Gavin

The car will stay where it's at now under a cover in an unheated garage. It's spent the winter there undrivable with hopes of spring (year???) repairs.
GWN7
Stabiliser in the gas tank, moth balls to keep the critters out of the cabin, pull the battery
Tobra
I would either drain the fuel or put some fuel stabilizer in it and run it a bit. If it won't run, I drain the gas, put it up on stands to unload the tires and suspension. Baking soda on a plate will soak up smells, there are dessicants available(like the little packet in new electronic product that says, "do not eat" to handle moisture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.