Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S&S Headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
I am basically looking for a cheap replacement for my rusted out exhaust system. These headers are only $104 brand new. Does anyone have these or know anything about them? Also do you think they would fit on a 1.7 liter?

http://www.ssheaders.com/4cylinder.htm#POR...HAUST%20SYSTEMS

Eric
Joe Ricard
Honestly have no idea. didn't see a picture of them.

If you decide to get them let us know how it works out. Always looking for a deal.

Curious if this is the Heat exchanger sections also. or just the collector from each side to a single outlet.
ehick72
I should have searched the forum before I put this out. It looks like the refer to header as something different then what i refer to them as.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...&hl=S&S
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 8 2006, 09:58 AM) *

Honestly have no idea. didn't see a picture of them.

If you decide to get them let us know how it works out. Always looking for a deal.

Curious if this is the Heat exchanger sections also. or just the collector from each side to a single outlet.

Get a Tangerine and be done with it. It is a REAL header as you are accustomed to. Don't look at the price just give Chris your credit card number and wait for the UPS truck.

I have never been happier with a modification to my car. Tangerine EVO header rocks!!!!!!!!
maf914
QUOTE(ehick72 @ May 8 2006, 07:04 AM) *

I should have searched the forum before I put this out. It looks like the refer to header as something different then what i refer to them as.

These are also called collectors, sort of like the typical Bursch collector and muffler. I think the Bursch 914 collector with its 4-2-1 design looks a little better than the S&S collector. The Bursch has about the same performance as a stock 2-liter muffler according to the old Grassroots Motorsport dyno testing on a near stock 2.0 engine. Don't know anything about the S&S performance, but the 4 into 1 collector looks a bit crude. It may not really matter.
Air_Cooled_Nut
My $0.02 about S&S:

I bought their header for my Type 3 motor. In order to install it I would've needed to remove the lower engine cooling tin and thermostat -- uhm NO! I called and asked if they had a correct version for street cars. The "president" and "lead engineer" (one person) told me that their header was for street and race cars alike and that the cooling tin and engine thermostat was unnecessary (I was completely unimpressed). I [politely] explained to him why the cooling tin and thermostat (and thus engine temp. regulating system) was necessary but he insisted he was right and that "many cars in California and Arizona don't run with them". I [politely] informed him that not all cars live in the warmer regions of the US and that I lived in Oregon where is was QUITE a bit cooler. I also [politely] informed him that even a performance engine needs to get up to operating temp to run well. I am familiar with the engine and the basic physics surrounding it. He insisted he was right and that he wouldn't change the design. finger.gif

So I took what I had and extended the J-tubes so the exhaust would cross under the cooling tin. Works fine, now that I re-engineered flipa.gif

I would recommend S&S for their collectors ONLY (the merge piece of the exhaust) and recommend a muffler shop to produce a real header that fed into the S&S collector. The "president" was a self-important tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.