Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window re-seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Well the car got a lot closer to done this weekend, but not there... Two steps forward, one step backwards...

Over the years that the car has sat in the garage, it appears that the rear window seal has evaporated. The rear window practically fell out. So... I need to re-install the window. I searched the garage forum for a how-to, but no joy. Can anyone point me to a link with a nice, easy to follow how-to on rear window removal and installation?

Thanks!

-Josh2
gopack
GOOGLE YEILDED THIS:
REAR WINDOW INSTALL
Rand
There are several threads here... try a search here using keyword: butyl

Some of the targa bar trim needs to come out. Clean it up good. Run a bead of butyl tape around where the seal goes, and push the window in.

beerchug.gif
john rogers
I've had to do both our 914s and did them the same way. First I bought a couple of those glass moving suction cups with handles to move the glass around with. Second, I removed the seats and backpad. Next, I made some (3 or 4) braces that would press against the rear window and press it in place when glued in. Next I removed the window and cleaned the area where the adhesive goes on the glass very well. Next I cleaned and painted the area on the body where the window goes as there were some rust spots, etc. Next I layed the window on a couple of padded saw horses and put some masking tape around the glass in from the edge to keep extra sealer off. Then I used two tubes of the GOOP brand sealer and made a large bead around the glass. Then very quickly I put it into place using the glass suction cups and pressed it hard. Then I added the braces I had made earlier to press against the glass. Finally I wiped off excess sealer and let it dry for a couple of days. Finally I trimmed off excess sealer with an xacto knife and put the pad and seats back in. The GOOP brand sealer is still pliable after 6 years.
maf914
John, Is the GOOP brand sealer made for glass or is it a general purpose sealer?

I resealed my rear window several years ago after chasing the elusive rattle for a couple of years. I mean who would think the rear window was simply glued in and could fall away from the frame, allowing it to rattle in certain situations? Anyway, I used butyl rope/tape from a local auto body shop and it went well. Just takes some work, though.
john rogers
I think they make several brands and I usually use the one labeled for plumers since it is probably more water proof? Not really sure but it sure holds well.
StratPlayer
Heres the thread on the rear window
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15821
SirAndy
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 8 2006, 09:43 AM) *

easy to follow how-to on rear window removal and installation?

take out window. they usually come out pretty easy. you can hit them fairly hard too, they can take a beating.

remove old sealer, clean area well. get the black window mounting bead stuff from a glass shop.
lay bead around the window opening. start in the center *top* and work your way all around. that way, if you don't get the mating of the two ends perfect, it still won't leak inside your car.

use a scrap of the coated paper that is used to separate the sealant coil and press the sealant onto the car with your finger (using the coated paper, otherwise it'll stick to your fingers for forever) ...

clean window.

press it onto the sealant. make sure it makes good contact all around the bead. you can tell where it doesn't seal properly by looking closely at the bead.

done!

with the prep done, no more than a 30 minute job ...
smash.gif Andy
william harris
Don't forget the two small rubber spacers that go under the rear glass. All the work is done from inside the car. Remove back pad, seats, seat belts, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.