Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing front and rear wheel bearings on a 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
I will need to replace both the front and rear wheel bearings on my new 6 project. The factory manual that I have says that both have to be pressed out and the new ones have to be pressed in. Is there some way to do the job without a press? Oh, and I will post pictures soon.
davep
Rear bearings are the same as the /4. That has been written up many times. No press is needed, you just have to be innovative. Done it many times.

Front wheel bearings are the same as 911, and not too different than the /4. Again no press is needed, you just have to be innovative. I use old outer races to tap in the new ones.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ May 8 2006, 10:55 AM) *

I use old outer races to tap in the new ones.

agree.gif whatever you do, do *NOT* tap on the inner race. ever ...

smash.gif Andy
maf914
QUOTE(proto31 @ May 8 2006, 09:05 AM) *

The factory manual that I have says that both have to be pressed out and the new ones have to be pressed in. Is there some way to do the job without a press?

I did the fronts on my 4-cylinder when I decided it was time for new rotors. I just discarded the old rotors and with them the old bearings. I tapped the new ones into the new rotors without a press.

Haven't done rear bearings. Yet...
proto31
Thanks! I'll start on this soon.
Mueller
QUOTE(proto31 @ May 8 2006, 08:54 PM) *

Thanks! I'll start on this soon.

if you have a bench grinder you can grind down the OD of the old bearings to help the install of the new bearings...
MattR
It helps to freeze the bearing and heat the upright. I like to put anti-sieze on the outside of the bearing when the new one goes in to save trouble if you have to replace the bearings again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.