Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild... help wanted. Engine Rebuild 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timmcgraw67
Clayton if you see this sorry not going the jake way.. can't return items... headbang.gif

What can I say... I'm rebuilding my engine on a tight budget
I have here's how it goes as far as what I have you guys can tell me what I need, seals and bearings also.

96mm p's and c's
73 grind web cam
web cam lifters
victor reinz Engine Kit
stock block (cleaned), the rest is in boxes

Fill in the rest on what is manditory in rebuilds (Is machining really necessary?) can't I just put stock bearings,
Dr Evil
You should have your crank and rods checked at the machine shop. If you go all of the way down to them and neglect this then you will waste all of your time, money and parts. The case should be checked as well. You can have then hot tank it for you while there at it. How are the heads? You should have a definitive answer.
JoeSharp
Yeah! what Mike said. agree.gif
If you don't the motor will be just bearly better than it was before you tore it down.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Allan
Definitely have the case, crank, rods and heads checked out. Have your galley plugs drilled and tapped and plugged. You will also need the front and rear main seals as they are not included in the kit. Throw away the push rod tube seals that come with the kit and get viton's.

Here's a link for some ideas on machine costs...
Cap'n Krusty
You'll need head gaskets. The ones in the kit won't fit. It's likely the PR tube seals in the kit are Viton already. Main bearings and rod bearings to size, cam bearings, oil and filter, rod nuts. Have the rods rebuilt, sizing BOTH ends. Front and rear crank seals don't come in the kit. Fan belt. Valves and guides. Heads rebuilt by a KNOWLEDGEABLE rebuilder. The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
Depending on the cars uses, you could have the flywheel lightened.And what is your clutch and throw out bearing like?
smoke.gif
Twystd1
Tim,

Sell that cam and lifters here or on The Samba or the bird site.

Get a Jake cam and lifters. At least you will get a cam/lifter combo that won't go flat.

Cause then ya have to do it all over again.... On your dime..!!!!

And it won't cost you hardly any more bucks...

And ya get free horsepower to boot.!!!!!

And the engine will run cooler.

I can have all of your engine parts checked and machined in Costa Mesa. No problem. Plus ya get the bro dealio....

Wait till I am back in town. (4-7 days)

Sell that cam and lifters. And do it right...

Thats my non-humble opinion.

Twystd1
lotus_65
i just went through it, and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (my old boss maybe).

if i was out on the left coast, i would do this (mcmark's $5k rat).
commit to it and don't look back.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.