Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny posibilities
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I was looking at a pic of an early 944 tranny and was wondering why we would not want to try and use this particular item in our cars? I looks close to stock size/shape, is more modern, and would wear out slower probably.

Just wondering, I realy have no idea.
Mueller
Andys (V8 guy) is using an Audi gear box which is what the 944 series boxes are more or less...so no reason it wouldn't work with enough money and time thrown at it smile.gif

I think the cost benifit was 0 compared to a 901 for /4 or small /6 usage and for big /6 of V8's the standard 944 wouldn't hold up too well...the 944 Turbos can take more power but those cost a bundle as well....

Aaron Cox
hey mike. wheer is the starter on a 944?
the clutch? the flywheel? etc....

what does a 944 tranny hook up to? (torque tube...)

wont work.
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 05:46 PM) *

hey mike. wheer is the starter on a 944?
the clutch? the flywheel? etc....

what does a 944 tranny hook up to? (torque tube...)

wont work.

use some imagination poke.gif

if the Boxster transmission and the Audi box like I mentioned can be made to work, the 944 box can as well...the 944 box is basicly an Audi FWD gearbox.....it's not that hard to cut a hole for the starter and weld a mounting plate like the 3.2 to Boxster transmission conversion.

I don't expect it to bolt right up and I'm sure Mike is thinking along the same lines....
wbergtho
After Aaron so nicely put it...it will not work w/out massive modifications to create a bell housing large enough to house the clutch/flywheel package...however...I understand the Audi versions of this gear box may accept some/all of the internal parts of the Porsche version. Both boxes are made by Getrag (I believe) and are somewhat parts compatible from what I hear. I'm not an expert on these boxes...but if one did enough research...you might find that you could put together something that will work. The Audi gearbox will be a much easier conversion...but for those of us who want beefier internals and a large array of gear ratios...the porsche box might help as a parts donar.
Twystd1
Mike....

I totally screwed this up...

When you said Tranny possibilty's..

I thought it was a thread about that night we had in Tijuana...

Never mind... I remember we aren't supposed to bring that up....

Anymore.

Twystd1 rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
ph34r.gif
ClayPerrine
So......Dr. Evil.

We now know what your specialty will be after Medical School............ chairfall.gif
Dr Evil
Tranny clinic next to a hotdog stand.

"Hey, this one has a big vein in it!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.