Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, I think: What'd you look like then & now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I was converting a bunch of very old slides to digital this morning (of course, the 914 is in most of them). When I looked at me 30+ years ago, I shivered. Because, though I was a cool sports car dude in the early 70's, it looks pretty stupid now. Who has the guts, besides me (& I won't go first!) to show then & now? I don't car if it was only 5 years ago....let's see it. I promise I'll be SECOND! If there are no posts ti this thread, I'll assume your all chickens..t, like me & will delete it.

thought it might be worth a laugh. I need a laugh, with oil all over the garage floor - at least I won't need to change it! av-943.gif
BS Chairman
Pat, my wife and I with our 75 in Waterford Mi. 1989.
BS Chairman
To see what I look like now check out judging sheet!
Gary BS Chairman
1970 Neun vierzehn
Awright, here's Linda (wifey) and I 30 freekin' years ago, yeah, 1977. Still in our 20s, no doubt from a galaxy far, far away, many light years ago.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 8 2006, 05:35 PM) *

Who has the guts, besides me (& I won't go first!) to show then & now? I don't car if it was only 5 years ago....let's see it. I promise I'll be SECOND! av-943.gif

OK PAT, you promised Show us your early years piratenanner.gif

BTW, whose Bahia red 914 is in that pic?
McMark

And what splitter is that?
URY914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 6 2007, 07:21 PM) *

And what splitter is that?

Those were pretty common back in the '70's.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 6 2007, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 8 2006, 05:35 PM) *

Who has the guts, besides me (& I won't go first!) to show then & now? I don't car if it was only 5 years ago....let's see it. I promise I'll be SECOND! av-943.gif

OK PAT, you promised Show us your early years piratenanner.gif

Boy, has time flown! The bahiarot car is mine, during my autocross period. Those wheels, the splitter and H&H monster bar underneath are all ancient history. The splitter gave up it life to too many pylon hits. Man, it was so ugly ! I'll dig up something embarassing to send.
DEC
Click to view attachment

current

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
30 years later, same car, same wifey......
Tobra
but much cooler wheels
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 8 2007, 03:35 PM) *

30 years later, same car, same wifey......

Who's the old fart with the chippy wife?

Nicer wheels - but the bilboard on the front bumper? What's with that?
ClayPerrine
Here is my picture from an SCCA Autocross in Wichita Falls, Tx. Circa 1986. I am leaning against Betty's 74 1.8 (Yes, the one she still owns and drives to work every day!) This was before we were married, and I had not bought my 914 at this time.

Click to view attachment

I was a lot skinnier and hairier then.

Here's me 3 years ago on the Bluebonnet run in Austin. Same guy, same 914.

Click to view attachment

Betty says I have changed a LOT more than the car. dry.gif

Aaron Cox
clay.... looks like you MAY have been over 5 feet when you were young smile.gif
ClayPerrine
I just moved this here with Pat's permission so more people would see it.

And in the process I am further embarrassing myself! dry.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2007, 12:27 AM) *

clay.... looks like you MAY have been over 5 feet when you were young smile.gif

slap.gif

Listen Brat.. don't make me get out the "Napoleon Dynamite on Crack" pic......
nomore9one4
Awesome pictures! clap56.gif
Coy
Here's us in 1992 the day that I got my 72 1.7 FI running.
Click to view attachment
Here's the 74 2.0 dual webber
Click to view attachment
And us just a couple weeks ago.
Click to view attachment
My, how time does fly!
Pat Garvey
1973 - my first concours win (PCA regional).

I was all of 26. Had my best polyester pants on & my famous aviator-style glasses (about 1/2 inch thick). Worked as a chemist for a division of Kodak. Man, would times change!

iamchappy
Me around 1980 with the 914 that i purchased in 74.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. where are everyone else's pictures....

Let's see your most embarrassing shots.

icon_bump.gif

neo914-6
here's a similar thread I started...

Here's me in the 80's, at least my wife says I look good biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Here's me last year, now she wants me to go to the gym. laugh.gif At least I still "fit" in the Koenig...
Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
I likes this thread.... popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
Excellent thread... I've been wanting to do this. You just spurred me on to hit the closet and get out the photo album. I just spent the last 20 minutes scanning Kodaks.

Here's where it started... not with teeners but with bugs. This ended up being a 20?? Dual port with carbs. Fun car. This was 1978. Watch for a pattern. Someone can't stop messing with things... huh.gif

Click to view attachment

OK... My first 914. I traded a "mint" Les Paul Jr. for it. The ex-wife pictured was the singer in the band. We're talking Pat Benatar era. This was taken in the U.P. outside of Houghton-Hancock area.

Click to view attachment

Added a few 916 bumpers and took it apart (there's that pattern developing).

Click to view attachment

See???

Click to view attachment

The finished product. My dream car at the time was a 916. I haven't changed much, now it's the 914-6/GT smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Nuther... Guards Red. 7's and 8's Molded the bumpers in ala Sir Andy. This was back almost 20 years ago to the month!

Click to view attachment

Well, you asked for it. Me with the beast. I was 25 years old.

Click to view attachment

Someone has a recent picture of me here... check the nailed photo thread on page 11 if not.
So.Cal.914
Any skinnier and you would have to glow to be seen. Is that the reason for the pi...salmon colored shirts? Nice job on the car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
[quote name='So.Cal.914' date='Jan 27 2007,
Any skinnier and you would have to glow to be seen[/quote]

A weight saving measure, no doubt. An obvious adherent to the adage "Add lightness" biggrin.gif
Heeltoe914
Eric:

What a nice history you have with the 914. Back in the day I like you would cut out eating to buy parts for my 914. Aren't you glad you dont have to do that anymore? smile.gif

Do you still have that same car?

PS; I to was skinny about 130 5.9 I was a long distance Runner so O fat and it showed I was skin and bones dude.
Eric_Shea
Sold that car in Chicago.

I never knew I was that skinny actually. NEVER cut out eating. Back in those days I could shove a couple of Whoppers with onion rings down and not feel a thing. Just a skinny rock-n-roll kid I guess... lol3.gif

(those were 28 waist pants... I'm up to 32's now) biggrin.gif
skline
Ok, I can do this too. Here is a picture of me in my 1973 1.7 liter modified in 1982, the picture below is me with my tool box the same year, notice the shirt I am wearing, if you look close, it is a 914 smile.gifClick to view attachment
skline
Here is me a few years ago on a Baja Run with some of the people from here. I am the one leaning on my yellow car in the front of the picture. At the time it had a stock 2 liter I later built into the 2270. I really miss that car.
SLITS
Click to view attachment

Circa 1971 /72 .... Bill Cuddy's Richie Ginther built 914/6 .... getting ready to send Bill out .... I'm at rear of car in blue shirt.
Eric_Shea
(please don't show us what you look like now, please) biggrin.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2007, 04:01 PM) *

Well, you asked for it. Me with the beast. I was 25 years old.

Click to view attachment

Someone has a recent picture of me here... check the nailed photo thread on page 11 if not.

Yep..........from RRC in Sept wink.gif

Click to view attachment

mrs.K.gif

PinetreePorsche
These are great (bell bottoms?!)--sorry I've only had mine for 18 months! But a few of you only posted a "before" or an "after", and some did not identify if it is still the same 914, or a "newer' one. Please, posters, fill in these details, and others, please post yours, too.
Jeffs9146
Me and my ex girlfriend in 1984!

Jeff
JPB
Cool thread peeps. I kinda looked like a frog then and by golly look like a frog now ey beer.gif
Mrs. K
Woo hoo.........I finally found the pic of me and my first car that I bought with my own money biggrin.gif I had some friends who were VW mechanics and they taught me how to work on it thumb3d.gif

Circa 1975.........it was a stock '66 VW bug wub.gif

Click to view attachment

And you know what I look like now...........biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
Beautious wink.gif

Funny... mine was a 66 bug as well biggrin.gif
swood
Not too long ago really, and I'm not as cute as mrs.K.gif was/is.

THis was before I know water was BAAAAAAd for these cars. LOL w00t.gif

Of course it smelled like cat piss and was reallly dirty.
Bleyseng
My first VW was a 60 bug, but no pics I can find. My favorite VW was a 64 1500S SB I hot rodded to a 1776 with Dual carbs, fast little thing. Bought it in 70.

A shot of my 76 914 in 98 or 99 when I just finished rebuilding the motor and adding FI.

Me at PartsObsolete in 2001 and me in Alaska in 74.

current pic in sig below
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.