Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs or FI with big displacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
I'm running a 2.3 with (I ASSume) a stock cam. All the original D-jet stuff (for a 1.7) is in place and running well, but a little rough. With the increased displcement should I be running carbs instead of a 1.7 FI?
Many thanks!
Konrad 72/4
beerchug.gif
elwood-914
I'm no expert here but I don't think the stock FI will handle that......I think the stock D-jet will only go up to the 2056cc engine Jake puts out....
but that is with the 2.0 D-jet setup
Trekkor
popcorn[1].gif
mightyohm
You can adjust the MPS to accomodate the extra displacement. It's a slightly involved procedure and you need some special test equipment to do it right.

Or you can ditch d-jet and switch to Megasquirt, but in the end that will be a lot more work (although the car might run better).
Mueller
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ May 8 2006, 07:29 PM) *

I'm no expert here but I don't think the stock FI will handle that......I think the stock D-jet will only go up to the 2056cc engine Jake puts out....
but that is with the 2.0 D-jet setup

bs.gif

many people have kept the D-Jet and run bigger motors...he already stated the engine runs, it's "rough"...well, that roughness could be attributed to other things besides the displacment increase.

Have you gone thru the normal procedures for tuning and troubleshooting the engine? Ignition in top notch, valve adjust, no vac. leaks, properly operating distributor???

The basics needs to be nailed down first.

A WB02 such as one from Innovate would help and let you know if you are running lean and if so, by how much...
So.Cal.914
Depends on what you are useing it for. Alot of guys (and girls) like their FI and wouldn't change it for the world. They run clean and good economy. FI will also, if you sell it, maintain the value of your car. I on the other hand Love my carbsand I to would not trade them for the world. When I went to carbs life became simpler,
plus i didn't have to shift down to first until a much lower speed. I will not start the debate about performance(RUNS FASTER)because that could go on all night. I've
just always aspired to be asperated.
smoke.gif
Jake Raby
2300 with a stock cam......

Someone didn't do their homework-
Bleyseng
I am sure it will run but how well confused24.gif

The 1700 Djet runners and plenum are sized for the small displacement so 2300cc is beyond its tuning.

What heads are you running? Valve sizes?

Compression?

The cam here is key but the intake system is also part of the configuration.

Jake Raby
Anything will run....

tat2dphreak
popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
when it makes peak torque @ 1500 RPM and won't make power past 4K- don't gripe!
Joe Ricard
Jake's Avatar just about says it all.
krazykonrad
Thanks for the help yall! I'm not sure about many of the spec because the PO had the 2.3 bulit about 8k before I bought it. It may have a stcok cam or not. I do know that its still running a 1.7 intake. I went up to a 2.0 Pressure sensor, but need to get that tuned in as it had the wax plug removed when I got it.
At least right now, it runs great on hot dry days and stalls and bucks on clod wet days. I attribute some to soon to be fixed vacuum leaks but I dont know how much.
If anyone has any additional inpu, please let me know!
Konrad
beerchug.gif
bd1308
yes, I have something to add.

If you dont put in the CORRECT FI system or the CORRECT carb system running a OPTIMUM mix for YOUR displacement, you WILL promptly kill your engine.

I guarantee it--and believe me, i'm on engine three now.

b
Mark Henry
Put a mega squirt or SDS aftermarket FI system on it.

If you want simple and have the coin the SDS system is the ticket....check out their site even if all you want is some info on PEFI.

www.sdsefi.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.