Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ball joint help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
runfaster
Hey guys,

I bought my first 914 three weeks ago and I have been trying to do some basic repairs and upgrades.

Questions:

How do you get the bolt at the end of the front strut that goes through the ball joint stud?

I have been reading past post and I know the actual ball joint is hard to get off, but I can't even get past the first step. The manual's first step is to remove this bolt by removing the nut and tapping it out. I banged on this thing pretty good and it does't even budge.

I have read about jacking up the rotor to relive pressure but that seems to be in referance to the removal of the ball joint itself.

Who ever gives me the winning solution, I will send you a six pack of some local microbrew. : beer.gif

Cheers,
Craig
Aaron Cox
you have a nut one side right? (late style ball joint)

get a punch and a 5lb mini sledge and keep whacking at it.

once that pin is loose and out... getting the BJ ooot of the strut is a PITA.

you need to loosen the ball joint nut (got the right tool??? and the wrench to hold it still?))

then... whack the a arm with your sledge to pull the BJ out of the strut. then, finish removing the BJ retaining nut....
Aaron Cox
BTW - are you punching it out in the right direction????

it only went in one direction, and it will only come out one way
runfaster
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 07:56 PM) *

I have been trying to punch it out by hitting it on the nut side. Is that correct?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(runfaster @ May 8 2006, 07:58 PM) *

I have been trying to punch it out by hitting it on the nut side. Is that correct?

yep.

spray it with a penetrating oil and let it sit for the night.
beat and repeat.

last resort - use heat.
heat beat repeat
davep
Try putting the nut back on but not tight so as to leave room for movement, then use a bigger hammer. The nut gives you a bigger target and can absorb more force. You will need to replace the pin and nut anyway most likely. Since late ball joints use a taper pin you just need to get it started. Early nut and bolt style you can sometimes try to wedge the split collar apart. Using a lot of heat would likely do damage to the shock insert, and may not help anyway. Penetrating oil for a few days may help, but the BFH is usually the solution. An air chisel may also be useful, but I've never had the opportunity to try that.
runfaster
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 07:59 PM) *

yep.

beat and repeat.

last resort - use heat.
heat beat repeat

So it will come out if I just keep at it?
I have been whacking on it pretty good. I will just keep at it I guess.
If I get it out I will send you some beer.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(runfaster @ May 8 2006, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 07:59 PM) *

yep.

beat and repeat.

last resort - use heat.
heat beat repeat

So it will come out if I just keep at it?
I have been whacking on it pretty good. I will just keep at it I guess.
If I get it out I will send you some beer.....

:beer:

just keep at it. let it soak for the night.

and as dave said, leave the nut on to give you a bigger target.

runfaster
QUOTE(davep @ May 8 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Try putting the nut back on but not tight so as to leave room for movement, then use a bigger hammer. The nut gives you a bigger target and can absorb more force. You will need to replace the pin and nut anyway most likely. Since late ball joints use a taper pin you just need to get it started. Early nut and bolt style you can sometimes try to wedge the split collar apart. Using a lot of heat would likely do damage to the shock insert, and may not help anyway. Penetrating oil for a few days may help, but the BFH is usually the solution. An air chisel may also be useful, but I've never had the opportunity to try that.

Thanks.... I just wasn't sure how hard of a blow to give it. I started to get frustrated and was beating on it pretty good. Messed the threads up a little. I figured that there was only one way to get it out but it just seemed like I was braking shit...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(runfaster @ May 8 2006, 08:12 PM) *

Thanks.... I just wasn't sure how hard of a blow to give it. I started to get frustrated and was beating on it pretty good. Messed the threads up a little. I figured that there was only one way to get it out but it just seemed like I was braking shit...

i was told the "wedge pin" was a one time use only stretch bolt, so either way you buy a new one...

Beat and repeat whack_3.gif
runfaster
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(runfaster @ May 8 2006, 08:12 PM) *

i was told the "wedge pin" was a one time use only stretch bolt, so either way you

buy a new one...

Well so far you are up to half a 6pack. I went out to the garage and beat on it for awhile. Nothing....
So I went over to the otherside and beat on the otherone. A couple of good whacks and it popped right out... The otherone is a real MUTHA....

Where do you get these wedge pins? Salvage or new OEM....

Thanks dude....some times all I need is a little direction....

Beat and repeat whack_3.gif

rhodyguy
if you bunged up the threads do what it takes to get them out. pelican sells new ones. when you put it back together, clean the hole on the strut tube bottom, lubricate the tapered bolt and the hole, and tap/punch it fully in. don't use the nut to draw it in. it will more than likely break.

k
Aaron Cox
the pin and nut come from Pelicanparts.com or GPRparts.com
runfaster
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 8 2006, 08:47 PM) *

the pin and nut come from Pelicanparts.com or GPRparts.com

Thanks guys.....This board is the coolest.....Beers on me. beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
our pleasure smile.gif
davep
So, any luck yet? I was not clear if this was the taper pin or the standard bolt type of joint. The ball joints themselves are different also.
runfaster
QUOTE(davep @ May 9 2006, 04:50 PM) *

So, any luck yet? I was not clear if this was the taper pin or the standard bolt type of joint. The ball joints themselves are different also.

It was a kind of a tapered wedge with a threaded bolt end. I think it is called a wedge pin.

Yhea I got one out last night and the other one this morning with a propane torch. The ball joints came out really easy after that.

I am having problems getting my torsion bars out of the control arms. I am going to throw another post out to see if you guys have any suggestions.

Cheers....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.