Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound deadening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Has anyone here tried quietcar spray on sound deadening? It seems like a good idea, but it isn't cheap. I'm kind of hoping I can get a trustworthy testimonial before laying down the $$$. If nobody's tried it, then I guess it's up to me! smile.gif
Dr Evil
not sure if it is the same stuff I used, but check to see if it is water based or not. I was not too thrilled with the water based stuff that I used, but it did show me where I didn't put the POR-15 so well....with little rust spots I had to fix.
bondo
It is water based. They do say that it should not be applied to bare steel. How well did the water based stuff you used deaden sound?
Dr Evil
My car is soooooo friggen quite that you can't hear road noise, engine noise, or anyhting other than the radio...

that is on the shelf in my garage where my sound deadend car has resided and refuses to move from. So, as of yet I do not know. Check back in a week.
wink.gif
fitsbain
You better get to work getting it running. Pittsburgh is a long way for you to push a 914.

biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I will, I have to take a test on Fri, spend the next three days with my fiancee that is way too good for me, then I will stick it to the car.
Mike McGrath
I used that stuff in my 2002 with pretty good results. I think I applied two or three thin coats and used between 1/2 and 2/3 of a gallon. I plan to do the same to the 914 this weekend. Make sure your floors are in the condition you want them to be for all time, because I don't think you'll get the sound deadener off that easy once it is applied.

Mike (in Portland)
Chris Pincetich
I'm 1/4-1/3 through a gallon of QuietCar. I stripped downt the interior = no door panels or backpad (still have OEM back bad insulation rubber). Drove for a while = noisy! Have 2.5 coats on inside of doors and 2.5 coats on door panels - have not installed door panels onto doors and can't tell much difference yest with doors only. Put 4 coats on the backpad, reinstalled, and it is MUCH quieter. My backpad is in decent shape, and now with the Quietcar paint on it is is sealed. That goopy paint filled in all cracks, loose fibers, holes, and made the back of the backpad look nice. I plan to try some more painting on the inside firewall - not sure it can take the heat but worth a try. I'm pretty happy with the quality - it works. beerchug.gif
brer
we use Quiet Cote for architectural sound applications.
same stuff used in Limosines apparently.

i painted the floorboards of my Subaru with it and it sure worked out well.
easy 30% drop in noise from road vibration. Its designed to dampen vibrating metal more than insulate from sound from what i understand.

often used in noisy HVAC ducts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.