Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper exhaust gaskets. getting stressed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I can't get the things out. One side went so easily and quickly. The other side are practically welded in there. I've tried needle nose pliers, pick, small screw drivers, fish hook... I've tried tapping all these with a hammer at an angle and still nothing. They won't budge. I even tried tapping them with a flathead to cut and slice the gasket, still didn't work.

What do I do? I've spent over an hour and I don't know what else to do... Forget it and put the new gaskets right over the old? blink.gif confused24.gif
Mueller
it's all about leverage smile.gif

got a cheap screwdriver?

see the picture, works great....

IPB Image
Hammy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 8 2006, 11:05 PM) *

it's all about leverage smile.gif

got a cheap screwdriver?

see the picture, works great....

IPB Image

Good idea!
Is that a flathead or a poker-type thing?
So you just stick it up in there and push it as hard as you can inbetween the gasket and the head?
Mueller
flat head, with the "flat" positioned to get between the gasket and the head.
Hammy
Cool. Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow and if I can't get it i'll come whining back biggrin.gif
solex
I just went throught this, probably the reason why the PO used two gaskets on one port. I fashioned a similar tool because the one port was a bit small and the PO need to hammer in the gasket. I filed the OD of my new gasket so they would slip into the port and I would not have the problem a second time.

I also followed the advice of the people on this forum and heated and quickly cooled the gaskets to make them softer and used high-temp RTV to hold the gaskets in place.

No leaks and everything looks great.

Good Luck,
Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.