Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lift Installation How Hard?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
I bought a 4 post Bend Pac Lift that is currently installed in the sellers garage. It is the type that MUST be bolted to the cement slab, and is not a free standing 4 post. I'm trying to decide how to move it to my garage and reinstall it.

I've got access to a trailer and 3 or 4 buddies are willing to help, my concern is the setup. Since this lift must be anchored with impact cement bolts, leveled, aligned and shimed in order to function proplerly, i'm a little concerned about doing it "RIGHT".

I have called some people and I can hire a professional to take it down, transport it and set it up correctly for 1k, alot of money for sure, but i'll know it's done right.

Looking for some been there done that from the group. If it was a stand alone four post I'd do it myself no problem, i'm leaning towards paying to have it done.
What would you guys do?

Ferg biggrin.gif
McMark
I'd install it myself. Careful measurements are probably key with a four post lift. The two post I helped install wasn't hard at all since we only had to measure the distance between the two posts.
LvSteveH
I'm sure Bend Pac can send you the original install manual. Figure a solid day to move it and get it setup with a couple friends for labor. There is a type of cement bolt that only requires you to drill the initial hole, hammer in the insert, and it expands when you torque it. I used a few of them on my garage walls, and they seem very sturdy. You could also go the epoxy route.

$1000 for having it moved and installed isn't that bad, especially if you got the lift at the right price. If you are planning on moving any time soon, I'd suggest doing the install yourself. That way you'll know how to do it if you move.

Are you going to be "Camp Colorado" ?
TROJANMAN
when in doubt.............write a check. smile.gif

i've got a small trailer if you need it.

Ferg,
how expansive are the solis where you live? has your garage floor finished settling?

URY914
I would do it myself but I'm a construction guy anyway. My concern would be the thickness of your existing slab, but on a four post this shouldn't be a problem. If the slab supports your car, it can support it on the lift too.

There are several discussion forums which have installation help on them.

Ferg
Good stuff, just found another company that will do it for $700 so that's making the choice easier! I'm pretty certain I have the 4 inch of concrete needed, but will be trying to get a measurment tonight. House was built in 96 so I hope it's settled, no cracking or signs of shifting soil.

I plan to be in this house for at least 10 years, so moving is not a issue, (i hope)

I'll post pics and what I learn as I go.

Ferg

elwood-914
I've installed one once. Your garage should not have too much slope in it, so I wouldn't worry too much about shims. Make sure you square it up, measuring criscross. The anchors you should use depends on how thick your slab is. I used 1/2" stud anchors.....if I remember 4 to 4 1/2" long.....because the slave was only 4 inches thick or so. I did see a lift being transported in one piece but I would think dissasembly would be a better idea. Hope this helps
Tim
URY914
Does the seller still have the installation instructions?

If not you can probably get these on line from the manufacturer anyway.
TROJANMAN
Ferg,
if you are not sure how thick your concrete is, i am sure you could check with the county to find out what "code" was when the house was built.
Ferg
Thanks everyone, I just called Boulder County, they are going to call me back if they can come up with the slab thinckness, if not 4inch they will have to cut and repour deeper in those areas

I scheduled to have it installed by pro's.

$700 to take it down from the sellers house, transport it, and set it up in my garage. since I was looking at pulling favors to borrow truck, trailer, and 3 friends, and rent the equipment to drive the concrete bolts in, 700 started to sound like a deal! Plus Sunday was my only free day for use of the friends trailer, and well that's Mom's day so that 700 is going to go along way in the happyness factor of my household. smile.gif

Ferg
URY914
$700 is money well spent.

BTW, don't wait by the phone for the county to call you back.
Bartlett 914
I would install it myself. Make sure it is square and level. Use shims to get the proper level. You can put grout under the feet to fill the gap. A simple way to measure the level is to use a water level. Get about 20 feet clear plastic tubing. !/4 or 3/8 id is fine. Put a bucket of water on a step stiil in the middle. Siphon water thru the tube. Tape the tube to a yardstick. The water will give you a constant level. Hold the yardstick at each corner and it will tell you how much out of level you are.

Mark
Ferg
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 9 2006, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 9 2006, 09:31 AM) *

BTW, don't wait by the phone for the county to call you back.

Ferg,
the other thing you could do is get a really long drill bit, and drill pilot holes to test thickness.

If no word from the county, I have a joint with the felt inbetween, I should be able to get something in the felt (rod, long bit ect) to get a measurement there.

Ferg
obscurity
One thing to be concerned with is not so much what the code said the slab thickness should be but what the contractor actually poured. There is a lot less quality control in residential construction.

I didn't notice if you listed the houses age but the 2000 International Building Code (currently enforced in many parts of the country) states that the minimum thickness for concrete slab on grade floors is 3.5" (section 1911)

Hope this helps,
URY914
QUOTE(obscurity @ May 9 2006, 10:55 AM) *

One thing to be concerned with is not so much what the code said the slab thickness should be but what the contractor actually poured. There is a lot less quality control in residential construction.

Hope this helps,

You got that right.... clap56.gif
jsteele22
Hey Ferg,

Sounds like a nice little project. Most of us can only claim to have a 914 that's up on jackstands.....

Anyways, if you're concerned about the thickness, you could always get a masonry bit at HD/Lowes/etc. and drill a test hole in an "out of the way" location. Four inches might be the at limit to how long a bit you can find easily, but at least if you're still hitting concrete at 3.5, you know you're close. Drilling concrete isn't so bad, just pull the bit out frequently to clear the dust.

Cheers,

Jeff
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2006, 10:06 AM) *

Ferg,
the other thing you could do is get a really long drill bit, and drill pilot holes to test thickness.

If no word from the county, I have a joint with the felt inbetween, I should be able to get something in the felt (rod, long bit ect) to get a measurement there.
Ferg

Jeff,
way to be original thumb3d.gif

laugh.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 9 2006, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2006, 10:06 AM) *

Ferg,

Ferg

Jeff,
way to be original thumb3d.gif

laugh.gif

You can't expect people to actually READ the previous posts, can you ? The 914Club Garage would have no point, no point at all....
Twystd1
Test hole doesn't mean squat. Unless you drill/test the exact area you are using fasteners on.

Most city's and county's supercede Uniform Building code with a minimum 4 inch slab.

Doesn't really matter... Put it in... You aint putting 65 caddys and huge trucks on it are ya??????

And by the way... Check to see if you have post tension concrete slab.
(not likely but possible)

I would hate to see you drill through a cable. (use metal detector)

Cause when one of those cables rip... they can and often do take the slab with it. Can be scary stuff...

Clayton
Ferg
All the more reason's i'm gonna let the pro's do their stuff, when I get home from work friday hopefully I can beer3.gif and watch the dijon bomb go up and down.

Ferg
Twystd1
Kewlio,

Send us the pics when ya giterdone..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1
jsteele22
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2006, 02:42 PM) *

when I get home from work friday hopefully I can beer3.gif and watch ride the dijon bomb go up and down.

Ferg

MoveQik
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2006, 01:42 PM) *

when I get home from work friday hopefully I can beer3.gif and watch the dijon bomb go up and down.

Ferg

I hope the Dijon Bomb is your car.... blink.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 9 2006, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2006, 01:42 PM) *

when I get home from work friday hopefully I can beer3.gif and watch the dijon bomb go up and down.

Ferg

I hope the Dijon Bomb is your car.... blink.gif

good one av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.