Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foglight question for the gurus....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Chromatech
Last summer I bought a '73 (in Canada)that I had had my eye on 26 years ago, it had not been touched in that time (garaged with suspension issues). It had adealer installed items: amco console and ATS wheels.

When I started working on it, I noticed the foglights were amber:Click to view attachment
They are Bosch, not Hella. They have the same body diameter as the hella but the lense is the same diameter as the back/body.

Has anyone ever seen these before? Were they a dealer option?

Gustl
in France early models had amber fog lights, but I don't know more details (size, ...) about 'em

Gustl
here are some pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

wavey.gif Gustl
Chromatech
Thanks for the pics Gustl! They might be euro fogs but I'm still not sure. The question to you concours guys would be whether to remove to maintain the original look of the car?

Thanks

914Sixer
I have a set of NOS French foglights with h1 bulbs. They are the same size as the rest of the lights but contrary to popular belief the lens are not YELLOW. They are clear with the reflector coated yellow. I will try to add pictures later.
Pat Garvey
confused24.gif

I'm going on memory only (my spec info is at home & I'm on vacation), but I though all CDN 914's were equipped with the French fog lights.

It's also my recollection that the reflectors were yellow, not the lenses.

As I said...memory.....dangerous
Aaron Cox
i believe those are not stock....

the stock had a yellow reflector...
rickyhgarcia
You can order these amber lenses from the Porsche dealer. They appear on the part list. I put them on order at the Miami (The Collections) Porsche dealership, but cancel the order after waiting for a whole year. I do not know if this makes them original, but Porsche sells them for the 914.

I think they look cool, especially since all my lenses are European color...so if you decide not to use them, I may buy them from you.
Chromatech
QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ May 19 2006, 07:52 PM) *

You can order these amber lenses from the Porsche dealer. They appear on the part list. I put them on order at the Miami (The Collections) Porsche dealership, but cancel the order after waiting for a whole year. I do not know if this makes them original, but Porsche sells them for the 914.

I think they look cool, especially since all my lenses are European color...so if you decide not to use them, I may buy them from you.

Rick,

Do you have the part number around? These aren't just amber lenses on the usual fogs, they are a different size lens but the same housing diameter. The housing and lens are Bosch and use the same mounting bracket as the clear fogs.

I'll opt for the clear ones if the experts biggrin.gif tell me these were never used for the 914.

Cheers beerchug.gif

rickyhgarcia
QUOTE(Chromatech @ May 26 2006, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ May 19 2006, 07:52 PM) *

Rick,

Do you have the part number around? These aren't just amber lenses on the usual fogs, they are a different size lens but the same housing diameter. The housing and lens are Bosch and use the same mounting bracket as the clear fogs.

I'll opt for the clear ones if the experts biggrin.gif tell me these were never used for the 914.

Cheers beerchug.gif

Chromatech,

I was looking for the paperwork on my frustrated order, however, I cannot find it. I remember just going to the parts desk and asking the salesman for front foglamp amber lenses for the 914. With just that description, he was able to find them in his screen.

Let me know how it goes. I am still interested in the amber lenses.

Good luck,

Ricky

Gustl
look here

wavey.gif Gustl
GWN7
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 18 2006, 04:39 PM) *

confused24.gif

I'm going on memory only (my spec info is at home & I'm on vacation), but I though all CDN 914's were equipped with the French fog lights.

It's also my recollection that the reflectors were yellow, not the lenses.

As I said...memory.....dangerous

The three cars that I have had that were from here (Canada) all had the clear lenses. The latest was a two owner car. Now mind you they could have been delivered to North America thru USA stock at one point and then delivered to dealers up here.

I have been told (no personal experence with them) that yellow lenses actually work better in fog.
marcelina
Todd
First let me say that I am no Concours expert, and anything that I add to this subject, I will try to back up with refrence from others and photos that I have gleened from the web. If you look on page 93 of George A. Husseys' book '914 TECH TIPS 700' you will find photos of both european fog lights and US driving lights. Although these lights look similar, they are slightly different in physical appearance and size. The lenses are not interchangeable but they are both manufactured by HELLA of Germany.
The lenses of the euro fog lamps were manufactured in clear and yellow. I understand that the French 914's were the only european cars supplied with the yellow lens. I don't know if the yellow lens was backed by a yellow reflector. I doubt it, but maybe. On page 37 of Dr. B. Johnsons' book '914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorers Guide to Authenticity', you will find another detailed description of 914 driving lights and fog lights. He also indicates that the French lens was yellow and makes no reference to yellow reflectors.
The three photos that I have included show a set of the yellow french fog lenses (NOS), a pair of clear euro fog lights and a U.S. spec. fog light. You will note that the clear euro lens and the yellow euro lens are identical except for color. The photo of the yellow french lenses are an NOS set that I purchased on an eBay auction for installation on my '71' 914-6. I believe that I lucked out because they are almost impossible to find. The print on the lens reads as follows ....... HELLA 1-101289-02-MADE IN GERMANYClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Hope the photos and references help
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(marcelina @ Jun 11 2006, 03:52 AM) *

Todd
First let me say that I am no Concours expert, and anything that I add to this subject, I will try to back up with refrence from others and photos that I have gleened from the web. If you look on page 93 of George A. Husseys' book '914 TECH TIPS 700' you will find photos of both european fog lights and US driving lights. Although these lights look similar, they are slightly different in physical appearance and size. The lenses are not interchangeable but they are both manufactured by HELLA of Germany.
The lenses of the euro fog lamps were manufactured in clear and yellow. I understand that the French 914's were the only european cars supplied with the yellow lens. I don't know if the yellow lens was backed by a yellow reflector. I doubt it, but maybe. On page 37 of Dr. B. Johnsons' book '914 and 914-6 Porsche, A Restorers Guide to Authenticity', you will find another detailed description of 914 driving lights and fog lights. He also indicates that the French lens was yellow and makes no reference to yellow reflectors.
The three photos that I have included show a set of the yellow french fog lenses (NOS), a pair of clear euro fog lights and a U.S. spec. fog light. You will note that the clear euro lens and the yellow euro lens are identical except for color. The photo of the yellow french lenses are an NOS set that I purchased on an eBay auction for installation on my '71' 914-6. I believe that I lucked out because they are almost impossible to find. The print on the lens reads as follows ....... HELLA 1-101289-02-MADE IN GERMANYClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Hope the photos and references help

Thanks for the excellent reference material. Very interesting & shows I can't rely on MY memory anymore! If that's your 914 in the photo, we'd sure like to see more of it - any other photos?
rickyhgarcia
Just checking the PET...

It list P/N 914-631-930-10 as

beam spread glass
yellow
for
H-3
high beam headlamp
not for
914-1,8

The picture shows this part as just the lens...does not specify a year, so I assume is for any year and any car except (as indicated above) for the 1.8 cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.