Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga plexiglass roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gonflyn
Anyone know about Saratoga plexiglass roofs??? I just saw one on Ebay...never heard of them. I would like to know where they came from and if there is still available some where?
chilli
QUOTE(gonflyn @ May 9 2006, 07:01 PM) *

Anyone know about Saratoga plexiglass roofs??? I just saw one on Ebay...never heard of them. I would like to know where they came from and if there is still available some where?

Yes they were avail in 70's and 80's, have plexy window in the top. Does not open. I do not remember how the fit was on the 914's. From memory I think they took a regular 914 top and added to "window"
mike driving.gif driving.gif
flesburg
They were a one piece plexiglass top that replaced the entire fiberglass unit. As I recall, and I only remember seeing one "live", they did not fit that well, they were pretty expensive in 70's dollars, and I did not consider one further...

But they were a great idea, and gave a top off feel even in the winter...
Dave_Darling
Actually, they are a complete top panel made out of smoked plexi. With very few exceptions, they fit like absolute excrement. Plus they take non-stock seals, which are of course NLA. As a result, they are noisy, and they leak like seives. Yes, worse than the stock roof does! Plus they let all the heat in during the summer, without being open-air the way the stock top (removed) is.

They haven't been made for years. Evil-bay is about the only place you'll find them--be prepared to pay in the four-digit range for one! God only knows why...

--DD
jim_hoyland
I found that cloudy overcast days are really great for the Saratoga top. Lots of light comes in and you get a different perspective of the sky, road, and driving. Recently took my top over to the Plastics Place in Costa Mesa that specializes in making custome marine windshields for powerboats to see about having one made up that be more like the regular top. Especially where the side rubber and tracts fit. Seems like the materails and methods have advanced quite a bit since the '70's and it's a very doable job.If a modern version were made with better sealing on the sides, it would be very nice.
Here's a couple of pics from Winter in Seal Beach..
gonflyn
That looks great!!, Is that a Saratoga top or one you had made in So Cal?
wbergtho
If you could get one to fit properly and not leak too bad...I'd be interested. Of course you would have a major amplification of heat during the hottest summer days...but what a treat to have on a cool fall day!

Bill
pib
There was a thread about these a couple days ago...with pics
Read it here...
I just want one for night driving. driving.gif

Dave, does that mean you have to change the front & back targa seals to use it? Not possible to swap tops without changing seals?
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the difference is on the side seals and possibly the rear. The seals that attach to the roof panel itself, that is. They are not the stock ones and are impossible to find. Not a big deal on the rear seal (if that's one of the ones that is specific to the Saratoga Top) but quite a big deal on the side seals...

--DD
jim_hoyland
Saratoga Tops are definately NOT for hot sunny days. I probably use mine only 10% of the time. As Dave mentioned, the side seals are completly different and do not provide weatherproofing in rain or even car washing.
My inquiry with the marine windshield shop touched on making the sides more like the current 914 top. That way the tracks could be screwed on and 914 rubber seals installed. I didn't take this past the "is it doable stage"; but, these guys say it's very doable, and they work on stuff that is more complex than these tops.
vertigo
I have one for my '73 from the previous owner. It is a smoked glass look and actually fits as well as the stock roof. It can be removed and stored in the rear trunk like the original and is about as noisy as the original. It does leak just a tiny bit more than the original (at corners of window) but not by much.
Mueller
from the other Saratoga top thread:

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 2 2006, 11:42 AM) *

I do think those tops are one of the coolest aftermarket goodies for the cruiser. Too bad they're gone. Must have been mighty expensive to build. I wonder if there's tooling laying around out there?

I've spoken to the original manufacture of the Saratoga tops (they still make tops for 'vettes and some other cars)...the original molds got tossed in the dumpster due to lack of demand. In order to make new tops, one would have to start over with new molds ($2000 for mold), he estimated that the tops would cost approx. about $600 to $800 each if he had a solid order of 50 tops....I'm sure they could be made better with more attention to the sealing issues being resolved....

jim_hoyland
That would be a good price and prolly a lot better product with the improvements in plastics. Certainly cheaper than trying to buy a 30 year old top on E-bay. How about a limited edition ?
AZ914
Mine seems to fit well, a little squeaky but no leaky. During the summer, I just leave it in the garage and use the oem top.
jim_hoyland
If there was enough interest; perhaps this would be good item for the club store since they would not be available any where else.
McMark
Jim, a rough estimate on price would be very good. See if you can get your guys to give you a price to the nearest $100. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 16 2006, 07:06 PM) *

If there was enough interest; perhaps this would be good item for the club store since they would not be available any where else.

Oh yeah, because that's worked so well in the past. Just ask Mueller (and Brad) about the billet hubs, or Stephen Jacobs about the 904-style combo gauges...

Hey, if you have $20K burning a hole in your pocket, I'm sure that one or two people out there would be happy to buy a top from you and the rest of them would sit in your garage gathering dust...

(Cynical? Naaaaaah!)

--DD
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(McMark @ May 16 2006, 07:39 PM) *

Jim, a rough estimate on price would be very good. See if you can get your guys to give you a price to the nearest $100. wink.gif

After WCC 06 I'm planning on going over and discuss and I'll get a ballpark number.

pete-stevers
really...........
does anyone have a pic or two of a see through top........

.......on a teener......
i know they are rare.....
popcorn[1].gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 22 2006, 12:16 PM) *

really...........
does anyone have a pic or two of a see through top........

.......on a teener......
i know they are rare.....
popcorn[1].gif

Search for "Saratoga Top" and you'll find some photos.
RoadGlue
In fact, you'll find some great photos in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...hl=Saratoga+Top
McMark
Jim, it's after WCC 06. wink.gif
JPB
You have mentioned on hot summer days to which I reply, "theres nothin like the greenhouse effect right in your own car." I go topless but not without a bimini top on the role bar to keep that sun off.

beer.gif Don't need it unless frequent beer stops are on the schedule.
JPB
It would take very little skill to attach a piece of Lexan or Plexy to an original top thus making it stock like weather proof and user friendly. I do have to say that when in 90+ degree weather, night driving could feel like winter and this would be the answer. As cheeo as tops are to get since there is no lack of them, this would be the msartest way to go since the Saratoga was a dealer option or aftermarket item.

beer.gif
JPB
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 10 2006, 04:49 PM) *

That would be a good price and prolly a lot better product with the improvements in plastics. Certainly cheaper than trying to buy a 30 year old top on E-bay. How about a limited edition ?

OOPS missed the good stuff, sorry fellers. If you had a 914 Club stamp or etched on it, then your got something real my friend!

smilie_pokal.gif Dast gooden ya!
pete-stevers
thats it !!!![size=5]
that is the top ....
yup i would love to get my fingers on one!!!
Dr Evil
JPB has a point (for once wink.gif )

A clear top lets infra red light (heat) in and does not let it out. Think of how your car gets when it sits in a parking lot on a hot summer day and add that to the joy of driving. In winter it may be a good idea.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 22 2006, 12:28 PM) *

Jim, it's after WCC 06. wink.gif

Drove over there today and they are closed weekend; will try after work.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jim
pete-stevers
yup you might have a point.....
and i don't drive in the winter.....
but cool fall days and nights it would be great.
Air_Cooled_Nut
I thought this thread was more about this since the Sarasota one was already posted:
IPB Image
JPB
Sweet mother of my children! I was gonna say you can give a class on the greenhouse effect once the top is installed but I would prefer the course on, "See Through How to Get Him Arrrrroused." She is such a godess man!

sheeplove.gif In my dreams.
Joe Bob
They are great if you like wet carpets, to cook yer melon, see the sun but hate wind because yer toupee will blow off...
Rouser
QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 22 2006, 04:19 PM) *

They are great if you like wet carpets, to cook yer melon, see the sun but hate wind because yer toupee will blow off...

If these tops have the same amount of interest today as they did back in The Good Ol' Days, (hopefully) we won't see anymore of these tops. Best they just die on the vine.
Rouser
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 22 2006, 04:11 PM) *

but cool fall days and nights it would be great.

Uh huh, and that's what peelin' the original top off and puttin' it in the trunk is for. Some air-in-ya-hair driving.

What a PITA to have to swap tops JUST to stobe street & strip mall lighting all through the interior; money better spent elsewhere.
Joe Bob
Topics merged.....
GeorgeRud
Has anyone in the club actually taken a factory top and had one of the aftermarket moonroofs installed on the top? I seem to remember that the local Zeibart stores had such roofs available, and it should be a brainless install on a fiberglass top like the 914s. If it would still fit in the rear trunk with the moonroof installed, that would be a nice compromise for additional sun but not quite as hot as an ill fitting top.
Brando
To be honest, I'd rather have a CF top instead of a Saratoga. Why use the transparent top when you could just take the roof off?
JPB
Its for a cheap thrill to drive at night and look up at the stars or drive on cool sunny days. Just another toy and for 100$, one can easily make one out of a second stock top in about one hour with the right tools.

beer.gif I might just do that!
anthony
Has anyone in the club actually taken a factory top and had one of the aftermarket moonroofs installed on the top?

I've seen it done several times. Easy enough to cut a hole in fiberglass and attach one. IMO, the bubble top will ruin the roof line of the 914. A long time ago on Pelican some posted pics of a clear roof they made that was flush with the top of the targa top. They used shiney aluminum and rivets to attach the smoked plexiglass flush. It looked great and had a race car look to it with the rivets.

jim_hoyland
Update: Stopped by the Plastic Shop, they do custom marine windshieds. Earlier this year i stopped by to see whether it was doable and get an idea whether there are better materials.
Went back again today, while it can be done, they are not interest in this project; they recommended we contact either the original manufacturer of the Saratoga--which according to MM is still in business--or someone who make T-top type stuff.
They indicated the expertise to do it right lies with people already doing it; there are also some liability issues they wished to avoid.

In any case, there is prolly someone out there who has a connection.
dflesburg
Can't we get the Chineeze to make us some for $29.95 shipped to Chicago IL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.