Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Post in the Paddock.... woo hoo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
LvSteveH
Title says it all.
drgchapman
You're gonna need to be a little more specific. Track, A/X, Drags, Rally?
LvSteveH
I was going for first post honors so less gab equals more glory.

In any event, as I've never seen anyone on this site ask about drag racing a 914, or running one in a rally, let's go with the overwhelming majority and look at Track and to a lesser degree AX.

grantsfo
Drag racing is fairly simple its all about weight, torque, HP and traction. I'd go with big 4
gregrobbins
Generally those I know with 6s go with a bigger motor than in the stock 914-6. These motors are a lot more powerful. John's 3.0L in Elvira is basically stock down to the fuel injection, yet that motor is rated conservatively at 185 HP. You have to modify the hell out of a four to get that much power. Others with bigger sixes include Tim, Bian, Andy, Dave and a couple more in the works.

The bigger air coolded sixes, 3.0, 3.2, and 3.6 are considered to be very reliable motors and the term bullet proof is used alot.

The local 914 PCA AX and DE guys seem to like the bigger sixes. They are plenty quick in both AX and on the track in DEs. And as the motors are really stock they seem to run and run and run.

You pay a little more for a six conversion and motor, but long term maintance costs on the motor seem to be less from what I hear.
LvSteveH
Like Greg, I've also heard that there are guys who race a six season after season, and they keep on ticking (maybe they should adjust the valves), where as with a four, they need to be rebuilt each season. I have no first hand experience with it, so I thought I'd let the peanut gallery throw in their $.02

I have more type4 stuff than I know what to do with, lots of engines etc. I just don't know if it's worth developing it into a race platform as opposed to going with a fairly stock smaller six. I have a 3.6L sitting in the garage, but that would throw me into a class that I can't compete in, and in a car that would be way above my level of experience.
Twystd1
NOTE on Drag racing.

There was a guy that ran a turbo 911 at the NOPI nationals for a couple of years. He rarely broke.

And would turn 9s all day.... The thing flat hauled ass. And it looked stock.

Pulled the front wheels off the ground the first thirty feet... Every time

Point is... it can be done. And has been done.

Justin case you were thinking about a 914/6... Drag car.

Clayton
Trekkor
It also depends on what you will settle for.

If you will accept a used 2.0-2.4 SIX. You can get into a SIX conversion for as little as $5k all the way up to $10k.

Going for a 3.0+, well I'll find out someday.
Actually, I'd prolly hunt down a used 2.7 and try to build a full race stroker out of my 2.0. naughty.gif

I don't hear a peep about used FOURS with anything powerwise above stock. Prices seem to vary widely from $1.5- 5k for a used 2.0 FOUR.

Seems that most agree the FOURS need freshening more often than the SIXES, especially if they are "built".

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ May 9 2006, 10:41 PM) *

NOTE on Drag racing.

There was a guy that ran a turbo 911 at the NOPI nationals for a couple of years. He rarely broke.

And would turn 9s all day.... The thing flat hauled ass. And it looked stock.

Pulled the front wheels off the ground the first thirty feet... Every time

Point is... it can be done. And has been done.

Justin case you were thinking about a 914/6... Drag car.

Clayton

saw the vids... car was quick! i wanna say it was silver and bi-turbo....
Trekkor
I drag raced my car one time at Sears on their Wednesday night drags.
Fun but disappointing, too.
They were running 1/8 mile passes instead of 1/4 mile that night due to prior day's rain, so I never got into the power in third gear and beyond.

I've got no first gear right now so I won't do that again anytime soon.

KT
Joe Ricard
Well I for one think this is a good thing. Now howz a bout nobody fuck it up with off topic crap.
or Coochie shots.
ChrisFoley
No, a four or a six is not more cost effective for racing. sad.gif
Video games are more cost effective. smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 10 2006, 05:47 AM) *

Depends on how you define racing. If racing is just driving your car to the track and doing TT a six is hard to beat.

If you are doing classed wheel to wheel stuff I would think a 4 would be cheaper engine and class to compete in.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 10 2006, 07:47 AM) *

Yea my son has GT4 and I can only make myself sit there for about 10 minutes.
But you will be hard pressed to get me out of my car.

Cheaper ain't always better. Give me the real thing

SUP Chris? Still lovin my header. clap56.gif
nynone4
I agree that is seems like the sixes need less frequent maintenance than the fours (I run a hopped-up 2.7) - but the maintenance that the six does need from time to time seems LOTS more expensive. Maybe it's just my personal experience with my car?
drew365
I race my 2.7 six. My friend races a highly modified 2.0 four that is very fast. The two main differences I've noticed in the last three years:
He is constantly rebuilding his heads. They just don't seem to hold up to the stress of racing.
I have had few engine problems but have had to repair stress cracks in the rear suspension area three times now. I'm starting to wonder if a 35 year old car is really a good choice to push this hard.
Both the 4 and 6 will need constant maintanence to keep up with the damage racing does but I would never consider tracking a 4 cyl. after seeing what my friend goes through.
You guys did good getting this forum up. I should go on vacation more often!
I just checked out the CW forum for the first time. Gag me with a spoon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.