Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CSOB wants to practice AX, TT, with stockish 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Pincetich
I'm trying not to start sliding down the slippery slope of racing my car into debt, but can't resist the urge to push my 914 to it's limits and satisfy my competitive urges. My biggest hurdle to even show up with my car as is the entry costs. I was super psyched on shooting for Willows in Sept for "914 day" , but $250-300 per event through Trackmasters will buy me the new seat I want.....hard to justify spending that much on entry fee costs with so much to improve ont he car.

I live in the SF Bay area and want to get started with AX or whatever my stockish 1.7 won't cause a traffic jam or be hazardous. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on my situation!

Right now I think AX at Alameda is the cheapest (PCA reg $60 + $30 per event I think). Is there any time/place to race around a closed course for next to free?? I want to get some practice and work the bugs out of my suspension before paying several hundred dollars to race.
beerchug.gif
jhadler
Hardly anywhere will let you race for free. Not legally anyway. You could take a spirited drive up and down skyline, but that's about it.

As for autox? yeah, membership and $30 or so entry fees will get you on your way. Go to as many events as you can. You can also run at SCCA events for more seat time and competition. SF Region SCCA requires membership.

Stick with the autox events for at least a year or so. You'll get a lot of much needed experience that way, and it's relatively cheap. If you're looking to be COMPETITIVE, that's another ball of wax. All motorsports cost money in one form or another. If all you want to do is have fun, and improve your driving skills, it doesn't have to cost much. But if you want that trophy, it'll cost ya. In some classes, that cost isn't very high, a set of shocks some good tires, a muffler and an alignment. In other classes, you might want to take out a second mortgage. Keep your car as-is for now and focus on the driving skills. Measure yourself against other consistently good drivers, and try to narrow the gap every time.

Go out there, have fun!

After a time, you'll find if you really do have the bug to take it to the track or if you're perfectly comfortable dodging cones. Don't take this a bad way. I love track events, but they _do_ cost more. And I _am_ perfectly happy dodging cones in a parking lot!

-Josh2
Trekkor
Just a friendly FYI:

Although Trackmasters uses "racing" in their name.
There is no racing at their events. In fact, they say "No racing allowed" at the driver's meetings.

Even the highest level drivers are not permitted to "race".

It's a DE and instructors are there to help you.

Figure on $240 per event with them for most dates.

You can have a very good time in your 1.7. Just ask Andy.

Between GGR, RR, and LPR PCA a/x events, you can get a lot of seat time.
Joining PCA is NOT required to run at their a/x's as long as you run your Porsche.

If you want to run your "other" car, that when they will want to see your card.

KT
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 16 2006, 06:10 PM) *

Joining PCA is NOT required to run at their a/x's as long as you run your Porsche.

Really?? That is just the kind of info I was hoping to get. I'm psyched to get my 914 dialed in a little more (like having a REAL battery hold-down, not a nylon strap) so I don't break something as I push the limits a little. I'll be at Alaemda in 2006 some time for sure, Bay Area B-fast too as a pre tech inspection tech inspection biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
blitZ
My local SCCA AX events are only $35, $25 if you join the SCCA for $75 at an AX event and that event is free. We get 4 passes, so it's pretty decent amount of seat time for the money. I did my first AX last month looking to do more. I'm taking the Evolotion Phase I class in a few weeks.
grantsfo
My 1.8 with a header was quite a bit of fun. No many free venues that I'm aware of. AX is probably most cost effective. I know of some backroads in Santa Cruz mountains that can be quite challenging, but really not the same since you cant push the limits of the car.
Chris Pincetich
Grant - I haven't had a chance to get back over hwy 17 since buying my 914 last fall, but I have many friends in your area and have driven hwy 9 and beyond at all hours in many vehicles. My old SAAB 9000 turbo was the most fun, but I think the 914 will take the prize. Fun, but not cool when you almost hit a slow RV, mountainbiker on the shoulder, or fallen rock in the middle of the road...gotta keep those things in mind.

Saying on track with keeping things low cost: are used shocks more trouble than they are worth? I want adjustable KONIs to replace my tired KYBs so I can drive my car to work then AX on weekends and have the best of both worlds, but these are almost $200 each! EASY has used rears, but say that rears do not have the knob on top, only adjustable by getting up in the wheel well (is this true for all rear KONIs??). beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 17 2006, 12:57 PM) *

Grant - I haven't had a chance to get back over hwy 17 since buying my 914 last fall, but I have many friends in your area and have driven hwy 9 and beyond at all hours in many vehicles. My old SAAB 9000 turbo was the most fun, but I think the 914 will take the prize. Fun, but not cool when you almost hit a slow RV, mountainbiker on the shoulder, or fallen rock in the middle of the road...gotta keep those things in mind.

Saying on track with keeping things low cost: are used shocks more trouble than they are worth? I want adjustable KONIs to replace my tired KYBs so I can drive my car to work then AX on weekends and have the best of both worlds, but these are almost $200 each! EASY has used rears, but say that rears do not have the knob on top, only adjustable by getting up in the wheel well (is this true for all rear KONIs??). beerchug.gif

Koni Yellows (sports) are adjustable from the top. I have them on my car. Dont underestimate Bilsteins. While they may not be adjustbale they perform quite well.
jhadler
The Koni Reds are the ones that have to be removed to adjust. Not so bad on the rears as it can be done in less than an hour, but that's time you don't have at an autox. Bilstiens are nice, but they're not adjustable.

-Josh2
lapuwali
You're also not limited to events at Alameda. There are AX events in several other places that are reasonably reachable from El Cerrito, including Sacramento. You could almost certainly run 15 events or more in just the remainder of this year without having to drive more than 2 hours. This is absolutely the cheapest "track time" you're going to get.

You'll quickly find that the most important upgrade to your car, after your own ability, will be tires. Shocks will make a far smaller difference to times than tires can. However, you should just leave the car alone (other than safety things like a battery hold-down) and simply drive it for several events. It takes quite some time to get yourself good enough to be able to exploit better tires, and even more time before things like shocks will actually make a difference.
Trekkor
Come to RR-PCA a/x on June 3rd.
I'll be happy to help you.
I'm an instructor. I can ride along with you and you can ride in my car if you like.

Getting an instructor is very important to learning the basics.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 17 2006, 06:33 PM) *

I'll be happy to help you.
I'm an instructor. I can ride along with you and you can ride in my car if you like.

Getting an instructor is very important to learning the basics.

KT

Yep pick an event and we will help you out. I'm not an instructor, but certainly can give you some AX tips. Biggest thing is making the commitment to show up. After that its easy!
Trekkor
Grant is a very good driver. he make good use of whatever car he is in.

He showed up late and just ran the afternoon runs.
I rode with with him on his first two runs.

He learned the course very quick. No course walk.

After I got out of the car he shaved 1.5 secs instantly.

TTOD was a 48.977 and Grant got down into a 54.443 for 13th overall in a field of 118 ohmy.gif

Didn't you get into the 53's during fun runs?

KT
Chris Pincetich
Thanks for all the support! June 3rd would work well because my girlfriend is out of town, but I think I might have to go to the Parts Heaven swap meet first thing in the morning as I am still a parts junkie. I need to *search* a little and read a little more on the shocks - I know Bilsteins are great but I need to know if going with KONI sports on full soft is softer than Bilsteins, because I really want to smooth out the daily driving. You guys are right I'm sure about tires being the best upgrade, but for now I want to spend my $$$ on an improvement I will feel every day, not just the few weekends I am dodging cones. The I'll get some 40-50 series semi-slicks for weekends and some 60 series tires for daily driving (I really think that might smooth out the ride as much as new shocks = more bump travel).

Why hasn't anybody mentioned I need to drop $200 on a helmet?? Can I bring some lysol and borrow one from somebody that is not sweating profusely?
biggrin.gif
Trekkor
They have loaner helments available at all events. Bring a headsock.

I'd be a little worried, too :critters:

Forget the swap...The gates open at 8:00 with the drivers meeting is around 9:30.

Walking the course ( more than once) is pretty important .

If you insist on attending the swap, you can still run the afternoon runs for the full $30 dollars. You won't get as much out of the event, however.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 17 2006, 07:18 PM) *

Why hasn't anybody mentioned I need to drop $200 on a helmet?? Can I bring some lysol and borrow one from somebody that is not sweating profusely?
biggrin.gif

Because you can get one for $148 with FREE SHIPPING

http://store.yahoo.com/soloracerdotcom/pyroopenfacesa.htm

I think LPR and GGR events offer loaners if you hand over your drivers Lic.
Chris Pincetich

I'm trying to get more info on the June 3rd event but Google is letting me down. The RR-PCA hit is roadrunner region, not even in CA. Are you referring to GGR-PCA? But the next AX through GGR is at Alameda June 10. blink.gif
beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 22 2006, 04:46 PM) *

I'm trying to get more info on the June 3rd event but Google is letting me down. The RR-PCA hit is roadrunner region, not even in CA. Are you referring to GGR-PCA? But the next AX through GGR is at Alameda June 10. blink.gif
beerchug.gif

Here is zone 7 site with links to all regions

http://www.pca.org/zone7/
Chris Pincetich
Santa Rosa here I come! The perfect combination of girlfriend out of town, swap on Sunday, friends to see in the North Bay, and the offer of some instruction from Mr. TTOD makes the RR AX this Saturday 6/3/06 the right choice for my first chance to push the 914. I'm psyched.

Here's what I plan to bring: foldable chair, sunblock, something to read, something to snack on, some tools, stock jack, electric air pump with pressure gauge, bandanna or skull cap, zip ties, duct tape, AAA card, and hopefully some good luck.

Don't have helmet yet. Battery re-mount with Optima support on stock tray with bolt completed. Plan to tidy up fuse panel and wires from in-progress alarm/door locks/stereo install. Registered car on PCA-Zone 7 web site.

Still got a couple days to prep- what am I forgetting? What are common tech inspect red-flags for an old, restoration in progress 914?beerchug.gif
nebreitling
Hi Chris

tech inspection stuff (red flags):

-wheel bearings: grab the top of the tires and shake back and forth. a very little play is okay, but they should be pretty firm.

-tires: decent tread, no obvious damage

-brakes: they're nice to have. make sure they work, with plenty of pad, and a firm pedal

-fluids: not leaking any. a few drops of oil here and there is fine...

-lug bolts: toque them to 95 ft/lbs (alloy wheels) or 100+ (steel wheels). if you don't have a torque wrench just get 'em tight and check 'em at the event (make a friend)

-battery: this is important -- make sure the thing is clamped down to the tray extremely well. you do NOT want the thing to flip over and arc.... sounds like you've got this taken care of.

that's what most inspectors will check. other than that, make sure the car is in good order, obviously no fuel leaks, etc. bring lots of water/gatorade. you may try to gauge your fuel so that you arrive at the site with 1/4-3/8 of a tank, then fill-up after the AX.

in any case, be prepared to have a blast, to be humbled, and to want to do it again!
Joe Ricard
What's it take to be an instructor?
I always find the new guys braking too early lifting off the gas even earlier and turning too late.

I find myself giving instructions like "gas gas gas hard brake turn gaaasssss gas gas gas turn.gas gas

Then critique rolling back to grid. Like next time keep both hands on the wheel keep your hand off the shifter unless you are shifting. move your seat back up straighter. tighten up the harness it will make you braver. and OK this time drive it like you stole it.
Trekkor
See you out there...

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.