Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nasty brake sound on front right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
BigDBass
On Pelican I posted the following:
Spent a good chunk of yesterday scrubbing my wheels, taking off the chromed plastic PORSC E off the grill, scrubbing the grill, and installing some nicely polished silver metal PORSCHE letters courtesy of our man Chappy.

Drove over to my mom's today to give her a ride in the 914. Ended up turning around sooner than planned when I heard and felt a crunching/grinding sound coming from the front right wheel. Upon releasing brakes, something still seemed to rub a little bit until moving 2 or 3 feet, then stopped until applying brakes again.

I headed home, and to some degree the crunchy grinding noise/feeling faded substantially, except for the last moments of coming to a complete halt, when it occured briefly.

Suggestions so far were brake pads breaking, springs breaking, wheel bearings, and pebbles between the dust shield and rotor.

I finally finished cutting the grass, and got the wheel off to check some of the above.

I don't see any pebbles.
There doesn't seem to be any bearing play, assuming that tugging on the rotor/hub would reveal it.

The brakepad looks intact to me, as does the the retaining spring. Not that I necessarily know what I'm looking for by any means.

I'm tempted to put the wheel back on and take it for a short drive to see if it just went away based on the pebble theory.

headbang.gif
Trekkor
Does it make any sound when you turn the rotor ( or wheel, if attached ) by hand, forward or reverse?

KT
Brett W
Have you taken the pads out to inspect? If not do that and then take for a drive if nothing appears out of the ordinary.
BigDBass
Trekkor, yes, there is some metallic sound just rotating the rotor. Should it be completely silent?

Brett, wish me luck on removing my first brake pad...
Trekkor
You should hear and feel just the slightest bit of resistance.

I'd venture to say that most of our rotors are slightly warped, so the noise/resistance will increase/decrease as the wheel turns.

When mine had the pebble in there it was a horid screeching sound.
I tugged on the dust shields while rotating the wheel until it fell out.

KT

So.Cal.914
When you are braking does it pull to the right or to the left? It may just be the slightest difference.

You should have no problem, two bolts and it slides right off.
rick 918-S
After pulling the caliper use some tie wire to keep the weight off the rubber hose.
BigDBass
I dunno. I'm giving up for now. I got no pebbles. I somehow managed to snap off my passenger side window crank. I failed to "drive out pad retaining pin using an appropriate punch" as Haynes described to remove the pad. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong. Am I supposed to remove the whole caliper to get to it? WTF.gif headbang.gif

At some point a tiny ring that at first I thought was a washer fell out of the stupid caliper. I thought it was metal, but I dropped it a couple times on the garage floor and it did not make a metallic sound. It is about 3/8" outer diameter. Looking at the Haynes diagram, my only guess is it's a "seal". I have a feeling this is not a good thing.

I do not recall any pulling to either side when applying brakes. Just the sound and vibration felt through the pedal.

I'm frustrated and pissed so I'm giving up for now. So it's already on jackstands and I don't even have Illinois plates on it yet. welcome.png

Trekkor
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

That "thing" may have been your mystery noise maker.

Show it to us.

KT
BigDBass
Dunno why I didn't do that.

One side:
BigDBass
T'other:
Trekkor
it's a tiny flying saucer! kewl naughty.gif

KT
BigDBass
Does that look like a brake part or something that flew up from the road?
Trekkor
I don't recognize that part.
If it was a seal your foot would have gone to the floor and you would be asking why your foot went to the floor and you had total brake failure.

Here's a lightened/sharpened rendering of the "UFO".

KT
BigDBass
Thanks, Trekkor. If it weren't midnight I'd put my wheel back on, move the Jeeps around in the driveway, and go for a quick test ride. But it is midnight, so I won't.
So.Cal.914
It's what is left of the dust cap for the bleader valve, no big deal would not make your noise.
So.Cal.914
On your caliper, I believe you said that the noise is coming from the right side.

turn steering wheel to the right, look behind caliper and you will see two, I think

they are 15mm bolts. Not the allens that hold the two halves together. Pull those

all the way out. Slide the caliper torwards the front of the car, as sudjested earler

by my learned club mate, hang the caliper with a piece of wire to keep the stress

off the brake line. On the top of the cali you will see the two pins and a cross

shaped spring steel spreader spring. Drive out the two retaining pins with a punch

or grind off the head of a nail that will fit in the shaft that the pins will come out of,

drive the pins torwards the center of the car. Slide the pads out. Reverse what I

just said to put it back together. Easy. Have fun..
Trekkor
Why remove the caliper?

I just replaced the front pads with the calipers on the car.

KT
So.Cal.914
It's alot easier to inspect the caliper when it's off the car. I should have mentioned

this to him. blink.gif
Brett W
You have to pull the wire clips that keep the pins in place before you can drive teh pad retaining pins out.
BigDBass
Drove around the block before work. The problem is still there; that UFO was unrelated, as So.Cal. anticipated. There may have been some noise suggesting bearings when turning, but I was in the driveway and had to switch cars and head to work, so I couldn't confirm that.
BigDBass
Ordered OEM pads for front and back from Pelican yesterday, they should be here tomorrow. (I didn't think to get bearings, dammit.)

Chris, my wife corrected me that the baby shower is Sunday, rather than Saturday, so perhaps you'd still be willing to look over this with me if I don't get anywhere by then?
auggie91420
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 17 2006, 01:14 PM) *

Ordered OEM pads for front and back from Pelican yesterday, they should be here tomorrow. (I didn't think to get bearings, dammit.)

Chris, my wife corrected me that the baby shower is Sunday, rather than Saturday, so perhaps you'd still be willing to look over this with me if I don't get anywhere by then?

We can knock out brake pads and front wheel bearings pretty quick. I can try to make it there early Saturday (9:00). Get some brake fluid and lot's o-rags. I'll bring a grease gun and any of the other tools I can think of that we need, that you may not have (but will soon get!). Looks like the weather will be good, it's a good chance to put onother 60 miles on my motor.
Trekkor
I know for a certainty what that UFO was...100%

I was in the parking lot of America's Tire Co. this afternoon and I look down and lo and behold, another UFO ?!?

Yep, it is the inside of a valve stem cut off flush at the rim.

They do it on every tire change...They were everywhere...Total invasion alien.gif

KT
So.Cal.914
The UFO you saw is the mother ship of the one he found, the one he found was 3/8" across. Valve stems are larger in dia. It's hard to tell them apart when they are trying to shrink your head. I know, mine is still not back to it's original size. blink.gif
BigDBass
This is probably a problem:
BigDBass
And this can't be helping:
BigDBass
No luck finding bearing seals at FLAPS. Gonna have to track down the spring too. No driving anytime soon sad.gif
BigDBass
Can the spreader spring be riveted back together? I don't see the part at Pelican or on ebay.

Does anyone have experience with this ebay seller for an SKF front wheel bearing kit?
Eric_Shea
He's got a 99.9% rating... hard to go wrong. You can rivet the spring back together.

Not sure what the picture of the hub cover is showing?? confused24.gif
736conver
QUOTE(BigDBass @ May 20 2006, 10:59 AM) *

Can the spreader spring be riveted back together? I don't see the part at Pelican or on ebay.

Does anyone have experience with this ebay seller for an SKF front wheel bearing kit?

I have done business with the guy before. I think he actually bought from me. His feedback looks decent. Its a good price too.

I will see if I have the spreader spring you need. We need to get you mobile again.
Eric_Shea
So. Cal is right about the UFO. It's what is left of the ATE bleeder cover. Most are long gone now.

Brett's right about the clips. Pull them striagh up out of the pins with a pair of needle nose and the pins should push back toward the center of the car.

I have springs if you need them but... that would mean shipping them to you and waiting a few days to get them. You can drill that out and slap a pop rivet in there in 5-minutes.

Sounds like bearings as we described on the PP board.
BigDBass
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2006, 11:34 AM) *

Not sure what the picture of the hub cover is showing?? confused24.gif

Isn't that bits of the grease seal sticking out?
BigDBass
It looks to me like the bleeder dust covers are intact. confused24.gif

Give me a crash course in pop riveting. What do I need from Home Depot?

Ordered the ebay bearing kit.

Channeled my frustration into replacing my crumpled bumper tit and now replacing my cracked rear bumper top with a nice one from hwgunner.

Also started looking at installing the $41 as-new Performance Products LE Airdam replica I got from ebay but the mounting tabs have no holes drilled and I have a feeling there will be fit issues.
BigDBass
I think the UFO was the head of the rivet from my retaining spring...
Eric_Shea
I think the UFO was the head of the rivet from my retaining spring...

That was my first thought but it does look like a bleeder donut. The bleeder donut would be almost a 1/2" though... now looking at the tape rule it seems to be the rivet.

Give me a crash course in pop riveting. What do I need from Home Depot?

Just a POP Rivet gun. They come with a few sample rivets. Get an 1/8" bit if you don't have one. That's about the smallest rivet they come with and you may need the bit to open up the top hole and clean up the tab with the remaining rivet in it.

Isn't that bits of the grease seal sticking out?

That's not an issue by itself... most people pack those things with too much grease and overgrease everything. James can weigh in with his love for that technique wub.gif

I'd say at this point things are simple. Remove the two 19mm bolts holding the caliper on. Lift the caliper off the rotor and give'r a spin. If you still hear the noise it's bearing time. If not, have a peak at your pads. It could have been that spring.
So.Cal.914
The rivit for the spring would not be 3/8" across or made of rubber.

But Eric knows what he talking about, you could not be in better hands.

smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
Looks like 3/16th's across and just didn't make a metallic noise when it hit the floor. Even at 3/16th's I think it's something that was POP rivetted before. Not a factory rivet for that spring plate. wink.gif
So.Cal.914
Your absolutly right, imagine my embarrisment. Read the tape wrong. wacko.gif
BigDBass
The caliper bolts don't wanna budge and my 19mm socket is slipping just enough. Can I safely spray a bit of WD40 in there or will that harm the brakesh shtuff?
Eric_Shea
The caliper bolts don't wanna budge

Fun isn't it? biggrin.gif

Is it a 6-sided socket with a bar (not a ratchet)? If so... rubber mallet. If it's a 12-sided socket get a nice set of 6's.

I don't think WD-40 will help much in this situation. While you're at the depot getting the POP rivet gun get a MAPP torch wink.gif
BigDBass
I wish I were having fun, but I can't say that I am at the moment.

Is this what the spring should look like after riveting? Also, the spring on the driver's side looks like the rivet is missing there as well...
BigDBass
Here's the back. or front. or whatever.

Back to Sears for 6 point sockets, a smaller breaker, and a rubber mallet apparently. Good thing my wife put me on a spending freeze.
So.Cal.914
Looks good. you can mushroom the back side of the rivet if you are worried

about it coming out again.
BigDBass
Got the 2 bolts out holding the caliper on. The caliper isn't just sliding off. It seems to be sticking on the pads?

I made a hook out of a clothes hanger to pull the brakepads. Pulled hard enough to worry I was gonna pull the car right off the jackstands, and they still won't budge. Are they supposed to be that hard to get out?
Trekkor
That's cr4zy...

Can you use a tool and gently pry on the pads so the pistons recess, then slide 'em out?

They should almost fall out.

KT
BigDBass
Ended up pushing the pad from behind with a screwdriver while pulling the coat hanger which was wired in and out of both holes in the pad. Same on each side. Scraped the rotor in one small spot with the screwdriver. Is that a problem?

How does the rotor look?
So.Cal.914
No, shouldn't be a problem.
BigDBass
Both pads
Click to view attachment

Inside
Click to view attachment

Outside
Click to view attachment

The caliper is still attached but the pads are out. The rotor rotates with far less rubbing noise than it did. Does that rule out bearings?
BigDBass
Pads appear intact and measure at a bit over 4mm remaining... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.