Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped my front end tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Click to view attachment

smash.gif

New rotors, bearings, bushings, Bilstein STRUT inserts, calipers ala Eric Shea, new brake lines, 19mm MC.

Maybe...sway bar or at least set up the mounts and cut hole for it and weld u-tab (both courtesy of Engman, nice parts dude) to A-arm.
Maybe new torsion bars...not sure if I need em or not.

S
swood
Next end.... w00t.gif
swood
artsy fartsy givemebeer.gif
Aaron Cox
palma is a great color....

nice progress schtevo.....
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 12:19 AM) *

So what do i do next?? w00t.gif
URY914
When dropping the front end, gravity is your friend. Putting it back in is a PITA.
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 12:19 AM) *

I figure:
swap out M/C with a 19mm
turbo tie rods
swap out the A-arm bushings
clean and re-lube up the (Ithink) stock torsion bar
re-install A-arm (with welded u-tab)
swap out Strut insert
install rotors, brakes, bearings, calipers, rubber brake lines
set toe on front tires

Missing anything or anything out of order?
John
You got further on this than I did. When I got my gravel pan off I looked at it and decided that it needed to be blasted and repainted, so that is what I ended up doing for the rest of the evening.

My other front axle/struts are assembled and ready to go back in as soon as I drop out my existing parts.

It's not too bad going back in as long as you use a jack to help lift and hold the axle and a-arms while putting the bolts in.

In my opinion, you should change the ball joints while it is apart.
Aaron Cox
do ball joints and wheel bearings while its out. do as much as you can afford to do, so you wont have to touch it ever again..
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 09:02 AM) *

do ball joints and wheel bearings while its out. do as much as you can afford to do, so you wont have to touch it ever again..

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Don't the ball joints come with the TTR's?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ May 17 2006, 09:08 AM) *

nope. TTR's come with tie rod ends that are effectively a ball joint if you will...

BTW. i have the magic 50 dollar socket that is requires to get the nut off the ball joint.

come get it smile.gif
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 09:09 AM) *

nope. TTR's come with tie rod ends that are effectively a ball joint if you will...

BTW. i have the magic 50 dollar socket that is requires to get the nut off the ball joint.

come get it smile.gif

Just looked at the parts diagrams again. Ball joint under STRUT insert. Yes, I do needs da magic socket. May I borrows it? Can I have my cute sister who lives on campus pick it up? She may bring you a sixer of New Castle.....smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ May 17 2006, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 09:09 AM) *

come get it smile.gif

Just looked at the parts diagrams again. Ball joint under STRUT insert. Yes, I do needs da magic socket. May I borrows it? Can I have my cute sister who lives on campus pick it up? She may bring you a sixer of New Castle.....smile.gif

that means i have to grab it on my next trip home..... you know, dont have a garage here on campus LOL.

that would be fine. whyare you scared of me? LOL

AA
swood
yes, in a brokeback kinda way....LOL

JUst kidding. I'll cruise by. I should be in Coronabad some time soon.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ May 17 2006, 09:32 AM) *

i think i just heard a rental fee LOL

lemme know. i can probably meet ya somewhere that direction....
swood
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 17 2006, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(swood @ May 17 2006, 09:32 AM) *

i think i just heard a rental fee LOL

lemme know. i can probably meet ya somewhere that direction....

Dude, I offered you beer waaaay back there.... smile.gif
Andyrew
and your sister...

(just pointing it out)
swood
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 17 2006, 04:45 PM) *

and your sister...

(just pointing it out)

Hee Hee! Someones paying attention! driving-girl.gif She's a car chick too...67 Chevelle hot rod.

What do you guys think about removing the schmutz from the inside of the wheel well? Is it factory or road applied?
mattillac
off with the schmutz! blowup.gif
Andyrew
I think its undercoating..

Removing it is..

not fun.

Chipping it away is your best bet.
swood
Back on topic...I got the old ball joints off (without the special tool) I'll need it though to torque it back on properly.

Question of the day for me is how to get the strut insert out of the housing. Don't know what holds it together.

Tips?

poke.gif
Eric_Shea
Just going off the first picture...

You'll need to take the top nut off and remove the camber plates. Then remove the dust covers (tubes). Then you should see a threaded collar. They could probably be removed without the special wrench by gingerly working a large pipe wrench on the collar.

Aaron may have a large pipe...

wrench. w00t.gif

Better hurry your front calipers are on the way! wink.gif
swood
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2006, 01:51 PM) *

Just going off the first picture...

You'll need to take the top nut off and remove the camber plates. Then remove the dust covers (tubes). Then you should see a threaded collar. They could probably be removed without the special wrench by gingerly working a large pipe wrench on the collar.

Aaron may have a large pipe...

wrench. w00t.gif

Better hurry your front calipers are on the way! wink.gif

Aye...I see it know. Piece of cake...or in Aarons case...tube cake.

Can't wait to get the fronts Eric, the rears are sweet!
swood
A little heat and the OG rubber bushings gave it up. Came right off.

Now to decide if I want to paint, powder coat or just clean up the a-arms. Just a tiny bit of surface rust. Not bad at all.

Got the strut out too. Is all that oil around it for cooling or something?
swood
Ok guys. I'm going to just keep posting pics and questions in this thread till I'm almost done.

I pulled the torsion bars and found the drivers side front worn down pretty good. Should I scrap it? I'm thinking so. What do you think caused this?

What should I replace it with? Stock? slightly larger? I don't mind NOT spending a few hundred bucks on T-bars...smile.gif
Aaron Cox
steve. ill be here tomorrow (corona) if its convenient for you.

if not, i can brig the tool to pomona.

AA
swood
Tomorrow is no good. I'll be passing through mid week though. Are you in Pomona every day?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ May 20 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Tomorrow is no good. I'll be passing through mid week though. Are you in Pomona every day?

cept weekends....

should be there.
swood
Last question of the night.

Just got the bellows off the steering rack. Gonna swap out the M/C next. Is it easier to take the rack out to do the turbo tie rods or just do it with the rack in?

I haven't yet figured out what part comes off the stock rack to do the upgrade...no instructions included. DOH!
swood
R side

Getting a headache.... smash.gif
dinomium
I leave the rack in when I do the Turbo tierods. Getting the belows back on is the real hard part. I used dishwashing liquid and dental hooks to replace the belows and springs.The stuff that will unscrew from the ends of the rack goes! The eye and the peice behind it. The tie rods should have thier own sexy boot to replace...
swood
QUOTE(dinomium @ May 20 2006, 11:29 PM) *

I leave the rack in when I do the Turbo tierods. Getting the belows back on is the real hard part. I used dishwashing liquid and dental hooks to replace the belows and springs.The stuff that will unscrew from the ends of the rack goes! The eye and the peice behind it. The tie rods should have thier own sexy boot to replace...

Yep, new boots included. Do you mean this part unthreads?
dinomium
I *think* it is two peices IIRC. The eye link is threaded and the brass colored piece is just like a washer. Dont forget the spacer that came in your kit.
Are you planning on lowering the car? Get a bumpsteer kit either way...

I always say I will, but never go back and do it!
swood
YEah I plan on lowering it a bit. Where does the bump steer kit go?
John
Is it just me or does that MC look a bit wet?

I put my rebuilt front end back in the car sans tie rods and torsion bar seals (still waiting on said parts)....

P.S.

Anyone know how thick the bump steer/rack spacer washers are? I will probably just make some and get longer bolts.
Aaron Cox
steve steve steve...

yes. replace the torsion bars. that is casued by worn bushings that sag, and let the bar rub in side the housing.

the worn part is now a weak part and can snap.

i think i have a very nice set of stock 914 bars here that are in gooood shape.

next. i also have the magic turbo tie rod wrench you need. again, gratis (it also is used for ball joint tightening)

and yes, that UNSCREWS from the rack. have you looked at the new tie rods? look how they screw into the rack. they have their own "bellows attachment" piece...

bumpsteer kit. two washers that raise the rack a 1/2 inch. they go under the rack, between the rack and the crossmember....

come get your tools.
Aaron Cox
also... did you MEASURE your old tie rod lengths?

if you did (wise), then set your new TTR's to the old lengths, and you should be really close to your old alignment. close enuff to get it to an alignment shop.

AA
swood
Thank you Corona Boy. I have the TTR wrench...that will work on the ball joint?

I'd like to consider those torsion bars, thanks.

Yes the MC is leaking and on it's way out.

Thanks guys.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ May 21 2006, 09:19 AM) *

Thank you Corona Boy. I have the TTR wrench...that will work on the ball joint?

I'd like to consider those torsion bars, thanks.

Yes the MC is leaking and on it's way out.

Thanks guys.

whats on the otherside of the TTR wrench. should have a little "hook" right?

this is if you have the SRP wrench....
Aaron Cox
stevo,

i took a quick look on my rack of porsche stuffs, and didnt see the t-bars. may have hucked em.

but these 2 bad boys are in the truck waiting for you...
swood
YEah, that's the wrench I have with the hook. I might manage without the ball joint tool, but I'll let you know. Bummer about the T-bars. Maybe I'll post a want ad for em.

swood
How about locating the U-tab on the A-arm? I've found so far a dimension of 5 1/8" from the center of the ball joint. Sound right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.