Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concours, OEM and Fire suppression
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Not wanting to drill through my OEM carpeting on my '70, OR drill into bulkheads or floorpans, I'm wondering how and/or where to mount a HALON fire extinguisher in the 914. My last effort was fastening the F/E bracket to a small wooden base that was cut to fit transversely across the passenger side area, immediately in front of the seat. The problem with that was leg/foot encroachment when carrying a passenger, and in v. hard braking or cornering, the "snug, wedged-in fit" between the trans tunnel and door sill wasn't tight enough to always hold the F/E in place. After too many times rolling forward under hard braking, I knew a more permanent solution needed to be found. I've considered mounting the F/E under the dash panel, but the thought of drilling 4 or 6 holes there is not appealing. Has anyone found an effective way of fixing a fire extinguisher in the passenger area w/o ruining originality? BTW, placing it behind the drivers seat doesn't hold it securely enough either.
Pat Garvey
I don't know how you can securely mount one without drilling holes somewhere.

On the same topic, where does one get a Halon unit refilled? I've tried my local fired departments, but they told me it was illegal to use them these days & they couldn't get them refilled.!!!!
Leo Imperial
Causes the big C. My understanding is that if you have it you can keep it, but you can not refill.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
We use HALON fire extinguishers here at work(New Car Dlr). I've never heard that that type of F/E is illegal. I've not kept up with fire suppression topics, but assumed that HALON is still the best fire suppression material to use on an automobile. The F/Es here at work indicate that this material is good for ALL fire types(A,B and C).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 18 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Pat,
We use HALON fire extinguishers here at work(New Car Dlr). I've never heard that that type of F/E is illegal. I've not kept up with fire suppression topics, but assumed that HALON is still the best fire suppression material to use on an automobile. The F/Es here at work indicate that this material is good for ALL fire types(A,B and C).

My understanding is that there ARE exceptions to the rule of non-use of Halon. Obviously, race cars & computer rooms are exempt (don't ever be caught in a computer room when the system goes off - 30 seconds out or you're dead from suffocation). Halon is now considered non-green to the ozone layer. It is probably the best fire extinguishing system out there because it replaces the oxygen surrounding fires, suffocating them. Leaves to chemical residue or mess.

However, (my understanding) only commercial uses are allowed. Once your home unit (like mine) is reduced to needing a charge, you are apparently out of luck & can't get it recharged. Used to take my bottles to the local fire department to have them recharged - no more, won't do it. Now I'm forced to used the chemical extinguishers that leave more mess than the fire. Well, not really, but it is messy.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, we really should have this post on the Garage Forum, since it isn't concours related. I'll probably transfer it.

1970 Neun vierzehn
hijacked.gif No! This thread isn't about F/Es, but rather where and how to mount one inside a 914 w/o drilling holes(or welding) to attach the bracket.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 20 2006, 06:43 AM) *

hijacked.gif No! This thread isn't about F/Es, but rather where and how to mount one inside a 914 w/o drilling holes(or welding) to attach the bracket.

OK, OK! GEEZ! I just thought that maybe the larger universe of 914 owners could supply some more info. I can't think of anything to hold a F/E in place without drilling holes other that some massive pieces of Velcro & half of that has to be stuck somewhere! That means, at best, glue residue.

Why not just leave the F/E unattached behind the rear of the seat? Or at home? If it catches fire, it's totalled before you can do anyhting about it. When's the last time you changed your fuel lines, injector seals, etc?

1970 Neun vierzehn
"When's the last time you changed your fuel lines..."

As a matter of fact, Pat, I'm glad you asked. Last month! biggrin.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 17 2006, 02:15 PM) *

Not wanting to drill through my OEM carpeting on my '70, OR drill into bulkheads or floorpans, I'm wondering how and/or where to mount a HALON fire extinguisher in the 914. My last effort was fastening the F/E bracket to a small wooden base that was cut to fit transversely across the passenger side area, immediately in front of the seat. The problem with that was leg/foot encroachment when carrying a passenger, and in v. hard braking or cornering, the "snug, wedged-in fit" between the trans tunnel and door sill wasn't tight enough to always hold the F/E in place. After too many times rolling forward under hard braking, I knew a more permanent solution needed to be found. I've considered mounting the F/E under the dash panel, but the thought of drilling 4 or 6 holes there is not appealing. Has anyone found an effective way of fixing a fire extinguisher in the passenger area w/o ruining originality? BTW, placing it behind the drivers seat doesn't hold it securely enough either.

I have a halon mounted in my 44, but NOT in the teener, just a close one at hand in the garage.
If I am not mistaken, Brey/Krause has a system for the 914, that is supposed to mount using the seat brakets as an attaching point running with the width of the seat. Not sure, but thought I had talked with a rep from them, and they were either working on it or had just put it out to the public.
Look in Pano ads or in Excellence magazine. I am sure I have seen 'em advertised....just can't lay my hands on it right now.
Crazyhippy
How about pulling the center tray out (or getting a 2nd one) and mounting the F/E there? When you re-install the tray, no one will ever know.

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.