Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 adventure in Germany
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hcdmueller
Only took two months to ship it over here, but it is finally inspected and on the road. Would have been sooner but the reverse lights were acting up. Here are some pics of my new to me 76 914. Some of you will recognize it. I bought it from Tom Trudell (aka CarreraGuy) in March and couldn't be happier.
hcdmueller
I got it on the road and immediately did what any Porsche owner in Germany would do. I took it to the Nurburgring. Here we are a little lost in the German countryside. Guy in the lead car couldn't follow the well marked route. Stupid GPS didn't know where we were.
hcdmueller
Here are some pics on the track. I have some in car video too. Mostly of me getting passed.
Jeroen
very smart to import one back!
hcdmueller
For the people who have never been to the Ring, there are these Ring Taxi's that you can get a ride in. They are brand new BMW M5's with a professional driver. One of the driver's is a woman named Sabine Schmidt. She is relatively famous over here. She was on a British show called Top Gear. She took a diesel Ford Transit van around the Ring in something like 10min8sec. I am only saying this because she passed me on the outside of a turn in a beautiful 4 wheel drift then was gone before I could blink. I will try and find a place to hook up the videos so I can post a link.
Aaron Cox
for free hosting... youtube.com
hcdmueller
If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a 75 Eurospec rear bumper I would be much happier. I want to keep the car stock but got stuck with the standard size german plate that doesn't fit in the back.
SirAndy
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ May 17 2006, 11:39 AM) *

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a 75 Eurospec rear bumper I would be much happier. I want to keep the car stock but got stuck with the standard size german plate that doesn't fit in the back.

you can get a more square plate, like the ones for the old VW bugs. just ask at the local equivalent of the DMV ...

i see you're near Kaiserslautern ... i used to hang out there a lot, mid to late 80s ...
aktion035.gif Andy
URY914
I saw that Top Gear show. It was great. She was passing cars all over the place.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Another 914 repatriated. That car was an export, then an import, now a "domestic". Neat pics of it on the 'Ring. It must have been smiling to itself to be on that hallowed ground where its forebearers raced. driving.gif Thanks for sharing thumb3d.gif
914Sixer
I remember seeing daylight under all four wheels of 911's at the Ring in 1970, 1971. The 914-6's seemed to stick alot better in the first turn coming by the grandstands.
hcdmueller
The place is truly amazing. After a couple of laps I am addicted. The only problem is now I want to upgrade some things on the car to make it more exciting out on the track. driving.gif

Vented disks would be a huge step in the right direction. The pedal was pretty soft by the end of the lap.
GTeener
welcome.png
shelby/914
Glad to hear that the TUV guys didn't give you too a hard time with a car of that vintage. They use to be notoriously hard on older cars and liked to stick screw drivers into very small rust spots, make them bigger and then fail the car. Best of luck with the "new" car and have fun on the autobahn and the twisty turnies in the Black Forest.
JohnM
I had the pleasure of meeting carreraguy at WCC05 and had the pleasure of looking over his car. You could not have done better than the beautiful original condition of that car, truly worthy of the overseas shipment. Congratulations on your acquisition. John
hcdmueller
I have wanted a 914 since I first saw one well before I could drive. Thanks to the site and an enforced vacation I have one. I am over here with the USAF so some of the inspection and registration issues don't apply to me. The guy at the local inspection place was super jealous of my car. We talked for a long time about his 70 914-6 with a 2.4L. Then he failed me for nonfunctional reverse lights. Anyone know where I can get a new follower rod thingy for the reverse switch? Mine is looking pretty worn down.
Gustl
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ May 18 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Anyone know where I can get a new follower rod thingy for the reverse switch? Mine is looking pretty worn down.

you can get it at your local PZ for very little money

wavey.gif Gustl
carreraguy
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ May 18 2006, 11:11 AM) *

I have wanted a 914 since I first saw one well before I could drive. Thanks to the site and an enforced vacation I have one. I am over here with the USAF so some of the inspection and registration issues don't apply to me. The guy at the local inspection place was super jealous of my car. We talked for a long time about his 70 914-6 with a 2.4L. Then he failed me for nonfunctional reverse lights. Anyone know where I can get a new follower rod thingy for the reverse switch? Mine is looking pretty worn down.

Hi Chris!

Lookin' good! Nice too see Ol' Yeller at the Ring - bet there are not many 914's in Germany that have also been on the track at Laguna Seca; I assume you still have the Laguna Seca decal? Sorry to hear about the reverse lights - something I never noticed; guess its because I couldn't check out the lights and back up at the same time! biggrin.gif
hcdmueller
Hi Chris!

Lookin' good! Nice too see Ol' Yeller at the Ring - bet there are not many 914's in Germany that have also been on the track at Laguna Seca; I assume you still have the Laguna Seca decal? Sorry to hear about the reverse lights - something I never noticed; guess its because I couldn't check out the lights and back up at the same time! biggrin.gif
[/quote]

No worries about the lights. I just took out the brass crush ring and used a rubber O-ring to get the reverse switch tightened further into the case. Works for now.

The car got a lot of attention at the track. Nice cars everywhere and people were always stopping to look and take pictures of the little yellow 914.
johannes
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ May 17 2006, 10:39 AM) *

I had the same issue on my californian reimported 914. BTW same color and same year wink.gif The car is now in France but the PO was in Germany.
The PO had made a smaler plate ... I have also a paper from the TÜV that allowed the german PO to put a smaler plate ... I have still this paper and you can have a copy by PM.

Would be sooooo funny to meet you. I am in Strasboug that is on the german border
Matt Romanowski
Awesome Pics!!!! I would love to see the video.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.