Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Hooks anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
I felt I needed some towhooks on my car,if I ever get a chance to track it.

I looked at all that is offered,and felt that what is available retail was just to plain.

So,I designed my own folding set,even did a lift test to make sure everthing worked ok.had'm powdered,and WaLa.

Next on the to-do's.Installing a 930 front floating brake setup I recently acquired.

Ron
RON S.
Nudder
RON S.
Nudder 1
RON S.
last 1

Ron
Andyrew
Where on the body do they mount to?
MartyYeoman
Those look tiny.
I'd be very afraid.
Andyrew
They are plenty large for simple towing on the track, on the highway or a strap to tie down, definately not. (and definately not for a dyno..)

My concern is that it is simply mounted to the bumper. Good way to rip off a bumper, bumper mounts, and screw up your car royally...

Andrew

Just looking out for you bud!

They do look pretty though! smile.gif
RON S.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 17 2006, 11:25 AM) *

Where on the body do they mount to?

On the fronts,they are mounted to a formed and gusetted bracket,that bolts to the A-arm pickups.Pretty much like a Weltmeister setup that I recall them selling.

The rears are bracketed & gusetted on each side same area as the original towhook.

Ron
URY914
Show us with the bumpers off.
Andyrew
Hmm I think it might work.

but I think you should show us with the bumpers off.

Aaron Cox
My concern is that it is simply mounted to the bumper. Good way to rip off a bumper, bumper mounts, and screw up your car royally...

his bumpers are fiberglass andrew smile.gif
Andyrew
Aaron... I know...

which is a reason I was really concerned... lol

but ya.. you wont tear a bumper mount with fiberglass bumpers...
Cap'n Krusty
They're useless as tiedowns, because you tie down to something that isn't sprung, like a wheel or the control arm. The Cap'n
RON S.
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 17 2006, 11:35 AM) *

Show us with the bumpers off.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 17 2006, 11:37 AM) *

Hmm I think it might work.

I did a final lift test on each Individual hook by hooking a chain to an engine hoist,at only 1 hook,then lifting that end of the car off the ground by a foot & a half,and then dragging the car around the shop to see if any flex occurred.

but I think you should show us with the bumpers off.

I'll slip the rear bumper & front valence off this evening,and pop a couple pics of the "Hidden support structure".That'll explain it all.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 17 2006, 12:01 PM) *

They're useless as tiedowns, because you tie down to something that isn't sprung, like a wheel or the control arm. The Cap'n

Every hook is fastened to something that isn't sprung.The front hooks are bracketed to the front A-arm mount points.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.