Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More oil questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
After reading the oil temp topic I've come up with a couple more questions about oil related issues.

I've noticed that when taking a hard left hand corner or a longish left sweeping corner, then getting hard on the gas, I hear a loud clattering. My guess is that the lifters are being starved of oil. If I get off the gas, the sound goes away. I've tried overfilling a little above the high mark on the dipstick, and I still get the sound.
It only seems to happen on lefts, not rights.

So, is it likely that the engine is starving of oil? What side of the case is the oil pickup on? I have a general understanding of the oiling sytem in a TIV, but I'm certainly no expert. Any thoughts? Solutions? I don't want to bugger anything up!

Cheers,

mike_the_man
icon_bump.gif Someone?!? Anyone?!?
blitZ
From what I understand, during hard cornering, the oil may slush to one side of the sump and left the pickup tube sucking air. This is typically remedied by installed a deep sump or tuna can.
type47
unless you have an early 1.7, i thought all 914's had a windage tray which, again, i thought was to prevent oil problems like this. the oil pickup is in the middle of the case, where the sump cover is (not the one in the corner of the bottom)
So.Cal.914
This is true there is a tray that helps keep the oil in the bottem. But I have heard

of this in hard cornering. They do sell a kit that lowers the pick-up lower into the

sump. But I can't say for sure that is your problem, but it sounds like it. Kit is

prity easy to put in and reasonably priced. smoke.gif
Dave_Darling
Do you have hydraulic lifters? Those are not stock in the 914 engine. If you have solids, low oil pressure will not give you any "lifter clack".

I'm thinking there is some other problem...

--DD
mike_the_man
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 18 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Do you have hydraulic lifters? Those are not stock in the 914 engine. If you have solids, low oil pressure will not give you any "lifter clack".

I'm thinking there is some other problem...

--DD

Nope, I have solid lifters. I was thinking that lifter clack should only be a problem with hydraulics as well. At least I'm fairly certain it has solid lifters. Is there an easy way to tell? I've done regular valve adjustments. confused24.gif

It's kind of hard to describe the sound, but it does sound like lifter clack as far as I can tell.

Hmmm, why do I think this could be expensive...

Any other thoughts/guesses?

Thanks,

Joe Ricard
Yeah get a sway bar and springs to keep the car flat. A rolly Polly car can lose oil suction.
Even on the track pulling so many G's that I could harly keep my head off the window, the oil pressure stayed above 40 PSI @ over 200 degrees. Way over.
mike_the_man
I've got a factory front bar, and #140 springs in the rear, so the car should be semi-flat in corners. I'll have to do some more digging and see what I can find.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 23 2006, 09:48 AM) *

Yeah get a sway bar and springs to keep the car flat. A rolly Polly car can lose oil suction.

and cornering g forces dont push oil to the side of the sump? bs.gif
Joe Ricard
Aaron not as bad as tipping the engine on it's freaking side in addition to cornering forces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.