Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpeting bulkhead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jnp914
I am looking at pulling out the bulkhead pad (don't care about the noise in a track car) and replacing it with black carpet. Anyone done this?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jnp914 @ Sep 25 2003, 07:44 AM)
I am looking at pulling out the bulkhead pad (don't care about the noise in a track car) and replacing it with black carpet. Anyone done this?

not sure why you'd replace it with anything, but it's your car, do what you want.

if i were going to use a carpet material, tho, i'd want something with a commercial fire rating.

just IMO.
jnp914
Let me try this again:

I am going to remove the interior bulkhead pad.
Qarl
I think he is talkin about INSIDE tha cabin (behind the seats). Yes it has been done.

There are a few pics on the Pelican 914 forum.

Some of the Factory 914-6 GTs had the Perlon Felt glued to the back.
djm914-6
I have just done that job, and it wasn't too bad. I'll try to get pics later. I wanted a comfortable ride fro the ECR event, so I POR15'd the floors and made a full carpet kit from "Speaker Cloth" that I bought at a local fabric place. This stuff feels a lot like Perlon, just only available (at my place anyway) in black.

Did anyone get pics of my car while at ECR?
d914
used the perlon felt while it was a street car. Looked cool. Hugs every curve. Did the floor to.
jnp914
Did you have to use a heat gun to get it to conform, or did it just press into shape?
d914
just pushed and cut to conform. Used coco mats to cover the perlon on the floor so it would last.
72914S
I replaced al mine with indoor/outdoor black carpet from the local hardware store. Just used the old stuff as a pattern,glued it in.It was flexable enough to follow all the contours. Looks better that stock! smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jnp914 @ Sep 25 2003, 07:51 AM)
I am going to remove the interior bulkhead pad.

i got that.

for a track car, i'd use something with a commercial fire rating.

"it couldn't hoit" ...

let me elaborate:

we buy Nomex-upholstered racing seats; we wear Nomex driving suits; we build in Halon-esque on-board fire systems; we route flammable fluids through stainless-steel braided hoses.

why, given a choice, would we go out of our way to install flammable stuff in the cockpit when there are retardant products available ? residential stuff typically doesn't have a fire rating; commercial stuff does. if you're carpeting a house the cost difference can be significant; if you're carpeting a firewall (named that for a reason...) with a couple of yards, what's another couple of bucks ?

"it's your car, do what you want ..."
d914
if pure track why any carpet. Paint it and be done. My track car has nothing that not needed inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.