Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche...a sickness that must be cured!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I was looking at my Porsche habit and I must say I am sick...... blink.gif

I started in 1987 with a 1974 2.0 (yellow of course!)...can't find a pic of it, but it was stock and nice. I ran 205's on the stock rims.

Years passed and kids came and now they are in college. So I go out and get a 911. Thought it would be fun. 1987 Carrera with 3.2 and G50 tranny. Nice car...

Bill P.

nine14cats
But 217HP isn't enough, so I decide to get a 1988 911 Turbo with pumped engine and 5 speed custom 915 gear box......

Engine dyno's at 325HP with my mods....

Bill P.

nine14cats
I decide I want to AX and Time Trial, you know....be a boy racer...but the turbo is too nice to scatch so I buy a "cheap" 914 2.0 liter....

Bill P.

nine14cats
But the car isn't fast enough to suit my tastes....so I put in a pumped 2.7 6 cyl and go fiberglass fenders....I paint the car in my garage...It's a great time....

Bill P.
Howard
THREE Porsches? You are one sick puppy. happy11.gif
nine14cats
But I want to move to an unlimited class....so I rebuild the motor to be a grenade and I make the car all fiberglass and cut every piece of metal not needed out of it....and add a big ass wing!

Bill P.
KaptKaos
You have issues.

And I can help you with those if needed. =)
nine14cats
I then proceed to miss a shift and blow up the car....I sell the car and I decide to buy a faster car from guys on the board. So the saga of The BEAST begins....

Bill P.
Andyrew
Keep going...
nine14cats
While waiting for the boys on the board to build my car, I get bored not having a 914 so I buy JLO.....and decide she needs a nice Renegade Hybrids 350 SBC to go between those hips.....

Bill P.
DanT
I know where you are coming from Bill.

1990....'84 Carrera
1992....'70 914 1.7L
1994....'74 914 2.0L
1995....'70 914-6 2.7RS
1998....'87 Carrera
1999....'87 944 Turbo with 300HP
2002....'99 Boxster
2005....'74 914 2.0L

All of these cars have seen AX and Track duty. the Carreras and the Boxster very limited Track usage. The 944 Turbo and the 914s have all been heavily AXed and TTed/DE

The sickness is rampant....Porsche Flu
nine14cats
Year two of waiting for The BEAST to be touched leads me to decide to give up on my 914 track car dream and buy another car that has been built....in this case a tail dragger....

Meet Fritz....

Bill P.
Trekkor
popcorn[1].gif

Just kidding!

I like where this is going boldblue.gif

KT
TROJANMAN
diary of a madman
nine14cats
Hey Dan,

Glad to see I'm not the only one "drinking the cool-aid!"

Bill P.
DanT
Ah yes, nothing like bug juice. beer3.gif

All I can say is I am glad I have an understanding wife. We are all small time....my next door neighbor is on like #45 Porsches. there is no way we can catch up with that number.
His most recent acquisition is a very nice early serial number RSA. And yes it goes to the track.
Trekkor
I see the beast is for sale again. What's that about? confused24.gif

Your 911 is pretty impressive, I must say.

KT
Andyrew
So did you buy another one? or is this just a list of your cars?

Im on 3 personally.. but in reality, 1.. first two were parts cars.
nine14cats
So now.....what to do next..... chairfall.gif

Actually, it's pretty obvious...finish JLO cuz she's sexy and drive that baby!

And bring The BEAST home and paint and assemble her in my garage and then sell her as a roller. Or finish building it for someone that wants it, but realistically it will be a longshot. Another option is to have a sawzall-smiley.gif party at my house. I can sell the bolted bits of the car to our club members who need them and then cut up the tub to exorcise those inner demons!

We can have a club jsharp.gif clap56.gif

And of course....I need to start thinking about my next P car purchase....

Shall I say....Water Pumper! happy11.gif

Bill P.

DanT
I think my next P car will either be a nice 968 with M030 suspension or a Cayman in a couple of years.
If my wife doesn't commit me first biggrin.gif
nine14cats
Trekkor,

Fritz is just too good to be true. Ask Randal or Dan. For what I paid for it, any 914 (including The BEAST) would be hard pressed to match. Since I'm really track oriented now, it's just too dang much fun! And if I decide to come out and play at an occasional AX, I can challenge for TTOD....so the time has passed for The BEAST.

Most likely I'll assemble The BEAST and then sell her.

Bill P.
DanT
OK Bill.....you now have a plan. Stick to it. Fritz is way too nice to sell so you can keep the Beast. Fritz is plain old fantastic....it would take you years and lots of $$$ to build a 914 to that state of tune.
Wish I had a chance to drive Fritz at an AX....look out smurfmobile smile.gif KMA.gif

You will still have JLO, so you will still have a nice 914 for cruising.
nine14cats
Hi Dan,

I was lucky enough to instruct at the AX school earlier this year and both of my students were running the new platform cars, in this case a Cayman and a 987. Man of man are those cars nice! I mean....it was amazing how they handled of the showroom floor. And the fit and finish is much improved.

I'm with you....I think once I clear out some existing P cars, my S2000 may be next to go for one of the new Cayman's or 987's. Actually my preference is for the 987, I like the covertible part of it!

Shhhh, don't let Doris here us....she really likes our S2000. I do too, but it's still a Honda.... happy11.gif

Here's my commuter Honda...

Bill P.
Trekkor
I still can't believe your S2000 hasn't been seen at an a/x yet.

2.8...Hmmmm idea.gif

KT
DanT
Actually the newer cars are becoming a bit of an issue with the instructors at the GGR TT series. They handle and accelerate as good or better than a 80s carrera with suspension and tires. Better than a 993 with same.
They are becoming scary fast right out of the box and Here I am as an instructor sitting next to a newbie with a car that can out handle 85-90% of the cars at any paricular time trial.

Several instructors have already said they do not want to instruct in the newer cars.

You can get away with very bad driving techniques and lines and not get into trouble.
Not even a wiggle or twitch.

Lots of fun in experienced hands....trouble in inexperienced hands sad.gif dry.gif

yeah, my wife loves our Boxster but I am starting to get the hankerin' for a new ride....CaymanS sounds about right....but who knows what might come along in the next year. Cayman club sport or some such....
nine14cats
I have the 2.7 7R case completely disassembled. Going over the parts list for the motor and machine work to be done. I called back German Precision to talk more about the mods and why the costs have gone up in the last 3 years since I did one.

I told them that I didn't see any inflation happenning..... biggrin.gif

They always have been helpful to me. Whenever something is hard to remove or I need someone to help me with my motor bits, they've always given me a few of their secrets.....

Trekkor,

Interested in a 2.8? It will make your current 6 feel like a stock 4..... happy11.gif

Bill P.
DanT
what do ya think about my ride height?

Buttonwillow April '06 Car #5 maiden voyage
Trekkor
Interested in a 2.8?

I might be. Can I build mine into one over the winter?
Is it crazy expensive for the parts?

KT
nine14cats
Dan,

I know what you mean about the technology making up for the driving. I actually had my students try several runs with their "handling" buttons turned OFF. I wanted the car to get sideways a little bit.... burnout.gif

I think your car looks good at it's present ride height. The next time we're out at the track together, I'll follow behind and tape you with my in car camera. You can then see how your car handles and moves through the turns.

Bill P.
DanT
Thanks Bill, that would be great. I got some idea from David Wong's pics at BW and TH but movies are always better. Get a chance to see if the car is moving once it takes a set.
Are you going to be at GGR #3 BW in June?
nine14cats
Hi Trekkor,

I don't believe your 2.0/2.2 liter case is a good platform for a motor with bigger jugs.
If you want it bulletproof you would stay 2.7 and not use 92mm barrels. For a dual purpose car that is still streetable, stay with a Solex type of cam grind. I had mine one notch up in the rev range using a Wecam 120/104. Less low end torque than a 4 cyl or a Solex. I also used 10.5:1 JE pistons and 100 Octane race gas. And I boat tailed the case, and I knife edged the crank, and I ported the heads and port matched the Weber intake manifolds. Also chamfering the heads and mag'd crank and so on and so on. It depends on what you want to do. If you go that route, it gets kinda pricey.

But if you do a good rebuild on it I bet you could get away with ~$4500 in parts. I think that's what JP put into his, if I remember correctly.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Dan,

I will not be at Buttonwillow. Doris will be on break from her MBA program. We must vacation somewhere slightly more romantic than the Buttonwillow Motel 6.....or so I have been told..... owned.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.
DanT
I hear Lost Hills Motel 6 is a 4 diamond establishment blink.gif

Doris deserves a little R&R in a nicer place than BW in late June ohmy.gif
nine14cats
Oh and Dan,

No problem if you want to co-drive and one of the AX's in the future. I'm sure we'll get out to at least one or two more this year. Maybe you can have better luck catching the Smurfmobile than I did. At least we gave them some competition for a few runs.

Bill P.
John
I'm afraid that there is no cure for this disease. It is most definately terminal.

My affliction is for older cars. My "next" will be a Cabrio. I don't know what year, I don't know what color, but it will be an ass dragger. I will never willingly get rid of my 914 (or any of my other Porsches) though.

nine14cats
It's been almost a year so it's time to update the P-car sickness thread..... laugh.gif

One more 914 to add to the mix.....I had this one and traded it to Camp 914 when I got JLO....

Sadly, JLO has since been sold to feed the racing habit but she went to a good home...

Bill P.

IPB Image
nine14cats
Our 911 track car Fritz has been sold as well to make room for Lucille, our Spec Boxster....

IPB Image
nine14cats
And of course...still working on the 914... w00t.gif

IPB Image
GTeener
Good thing Doris appreciates your Porsche habit driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.