Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Brakes for 3"spacing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi! Whats the best brake solution using the early struts? Have a free 1970 911 front suspension i want to make the best use of. Plan to refresh all bushings, etc. Cani re-use the Koni adjustables (red) that i have already?

Thanks
Bill
fiid
Apparently - the easiest thing to do is to use the 911 strut casings and brakes with the stock 914 A-arms and crossmember. You will need an adapter to get your strut inserts to fit, but that is readily available. Next time around I'm guessing you can just buy 911 struts :-) I think you can fit the swaybars and stuff.

Of course, this will get you a 5 lug conversion on the front which will result in you having to get new wheels. Is this what you are trying to avoid?

Fiid.
brant
There is nothing wrong with the 3 inch strut...
Use rebuilt-vented 911 calipers
You will out brake 90% of the people out there if you use good pads and good fluid.

brant
Well have the whole front end off a 1970 including torsion tubes, struts, bilsteins (i think), M calipers, everything. Was thinking that if the the shocks were bad i could just use the ones im using now.... As for the brakes, the M is what is on the 914 (?), so an improvement is always welcome. How about boxster monoblocks? Should i just source the 3.5" struts?

Any help would be appreciated.

I already have the 5-lug wheels. Use a 19mm MC and ATE fluid.
Brant,

Which 911 vented calipers do you mean?

Im guess what im looking for is a list of calipers that i can use on the early strut
brant
I was referring to the stock 911 M caliper on that suspension which is spaced for the vented rotor..

this combo is:
1) economical (you already have it)..
2)gives you the benefit of a vented rotor
3)and is (I believe) a slightly bigger pad than the 914 one.

yes the 3.5 spaced struts have more braking options but cost $

yes there are conversion kits to run bigger brakes on a 3 inch strut (again $)

I guess my point was that what you have is already a pretty good combo and won't cost a fortune.

If your going to run full race slicks or a lot of weight then you might want bigger brakes.. but if your relatively stock it isn't necessary.
b
JWest
If they are factory Bilstein struts, then you can ONLY run Bilstein inserts. If they a Boge struts with Bilstein inserts, then you can run anything you like, as long as it is made for the Boge strut housing.

The way it works is that factory Koni and Bilstein struts only use those inserts. Koni and Bilstein (and K-YUK-cool.gif all make another version of there inserts that will work in Boge housings. SO you need to be careful with your planning.
ok, so when i take off the 911 suspension off the donor car, then how do i distinguish what is there?

BTW - this is a track-only car for all intensive purposes and im going to a 170ish HP solution....
JWest
The easiest way is to read the name stamped in the side of the strut housing! Paint color is another clue. The Bilsteins have a split roll pin going through the strut near the bottom. That is what holds the bottom of the shock in.

There are some other indicators if you still can't tell once you look at them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.